Pigeons

ben33127

Pigeons

Post by ben33127 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:38 pm

I was very active in this group for 5-6 years. My wife and I started having kids about 6 years ago. We kept hunting but not nearly like I did previously. I'm slowly getting back to being able to hunt as much as I did 10 years ago. Question is where do y'all find pigeons for summer training? I've never been able to find any. Any advice is appreciated.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeons

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:34 am

ben -

If there is an auction house in your area that does poultry, they will often have barn pigeons for bid. You can also searchsfor pigeon racers in your area. They often have excess "roller" pigeons, which are used to attract the homers back to the coop. Alternatively,if there are farms in the area, they probably have pigeons in residence that they wouldn't mind getting rid of.

I got mine from an Amish farmer who trapped them. If you can make some contacts with farmers in your area, you might be able to set something up where their children could trap them in a trap you provide and you would pay them so much a bird.

Alternatively, you could get a net and a flashlight and check out underpasses and such. Pigeons roost under roadway underpasses and are relatively easy to catch with a net and a flashlight. Might be illegal where you are so I'd check that first.

RayG

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:40 am

Local Feed store.

If they have kids working there offer to pay them to catch a few.

Take them home clip their wings and train your dogs.

When the pigeons wings grow out and fly back to the Feed store go back and pay the kid to catch them again.

Worked for me.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:01 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:34 am
ben -

Alternatively, you could get a net and a flashlight and check out underpasses and such. Pigeons roost under roadway underpasses and are relatively easy to catch with a net and a flashlight. Might be illegal where you are so I'd check that first.

RayG
Abandoned buildings and barns in farmyards are a good place to go "fishing" for birds as well. Most of the time the farmer would accompany us just for the sport of it (and they really wanted to get rid of the birds.) Best to go in the daylight first though and scope out where there may be hazards like rotten attic boards :lol: :oops:

mask

Post by mask » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:43 am

You might check craigs list. Glad you able to hunt more.