Getting ready for season

oldbeek

Getting ready for season

Post by oldbeek » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:58 pm

Cooler weather is finally here on the desert. I run my Brittany on the open desert with a quad. When we leave the yard she picks the direction she wants to hunt. I just follow and flush when she points. She came to one location and kept hitting false points and then move on. Finally she pointed a covey about 40 and watched them rise, hook into the wind and sail into my neighbors air port. At that point she had 3.5 miles on her Garmin. Her nose was taking her into the prevailing wind. 5 minutes later she hit another covey up wind. That was at 4.5 miles out, so we headed towards home. 1/2mile from home we found another covey. All in all a good 45 minute run. 6.2 miles at 10.3 mph average. We are blessed to have so many wild coveys to train on.

Garrison

Re: Getting ready for season

Post by Garrison » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:01 am

It doesn’t get much better than that! I have one covey that we get to work right out the back gate, I would love to have a quad to work the dogs.

oldbeek

Re: Getting ready for season

Post by oldbeek » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:46 pm

Lots of coveys around Winchester ca but brush is so thick it is hard to get through. This country has lots of openings to work around the brush. I do have to start hoofing it to get in better shape also for the season. I use a quad to scout but hunt on foot.