ProPlan Price Hike?

JasonM

ProPlan Price Hike?

Post by JasonM » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:36 am

went to buy food yesterday and Proplan Adult Chicken/Rice is up 3.00$ a bag. 30.74$/bag is getting pricy to feed 3 dogs, I use about 2-2-1/2 bags a month......there has to be a food that is just as good but a little less...I just think a 3 dollar hike is a bit steep.....

I dont want to start a dog food thread here, I'm just looking for a reasonable way to feed 3 large dogs.......

My cousin always fed Sam's club stuff to his pointers, and they would run all day.

what diamond flavor is comparible to the Proplan Adult Chicken/Rice
Jason

Blade

Post by Blade » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:01 am

Jason,

I have been feeding Purina Hi-Pro in the blue bag. $16.39 for a 50lb bag at my local TSC store. 27% protein and 15% fat. My older dogs, younger dogs and the pups are doing very well on it. I am going thru 150lbs per week. Anything higher priced would break my bank account. My 2 female house dogs get Eukanuba due to the fact one is allergic to Diamond food. I am thinking of trying pro-plan with them, it's a little less expensive. At least they only go thru 50lbs every 3-4 weeks.

I think the closest thing to the pro-plan in the Diamond line would be the Natural Formula that they make. My local stores carry 3 of the Diamond Natural Formula. They make 9 different types. I've seen the Chicken & Rice Adult formula, Lamb meal & Rice formula, and the Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice fomula. They cost about $21.00 for a 40lb bag, I think it's a 40lb bag, it may be a 50lb bag, don't remember for sure.

Here is the website for it.
http://www.diamondpet.com/products/diam ... /dry_food/

Hope this helps.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:38 am

Definitely check out other options. I get Black Gold at a local distributor (check their website for a list). I get two of the "black" 40# bags for $28. It lasts me 3-4 months. I will never go to another dog food - that is how happy I am with the results of Black Gold.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:41 am

There are a lot of good food options available out there.

But if you want to stick with Pro Plan, I had posted a pretty good program I had found using Petco. Besides what is posted you get a free bag for every 10 purchased. Check it out below.

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4777

hjackson

Post by hjackson » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:57 am

I belong to the proplan breeders club - you send in weight circles and they send you back $7 rebate checks really helps us out.
I feed the Hi-pro mostly as I can feed it to all my dogs sometimes I will use different Pro Plan and Purina One formulas depending on what that dog needs. I know a few people that use the Sam's club food and really like it I was told by a Purina rep that Purina makes that food.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:07 pm

http://www.arkat.com/dealerlocator.asp

Go to their locater and check out either the Enhance line or the VF line. I feed the VF Performance 30-20 and is alot better and cleaner ingredients than Pro Plan. Their Chic and Rice is similiar to Pro Plan Chic & Rice. I have a few guys using that on some German Shorthairs and they look great and run all day.
There foods are apx 20% higher K/cal per cup so you get more out of each feeding. The prices are usually cheaper than Pro Plan and Eukanuba also.

hjackson

Post by hjackson » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:52 pm

what size bags does it come in?

JAK

Dog Food costs

Post by JAK » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:14 pm

It is a matter of time before all dog foods will get more expensive. Corn and soybean prices have jumped since October. These are going to be major ingredients in many dog foods. Meat and meat by-products prices have been stronger the last several years.

John Kreuscher

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:22 pm

The VF Performance 30-20 comes in 8, 20, 40 lbs bags. Retail is $32.99 but you can usually find it a little cheaper. The Chicken & Rice is the same size and retails at $30.99. The biggest advantage to the VF is no Corn or by products 450 mg/kg of Glucosamine and the Performance is 632 K/cal per cup compared to ProPlans Performance 30-20 with 493 K/cals per cup. So you will need to feed apx 20% less per day to maintain the same fitness level.
www.arkat.com

nj gsp

food

Post by nj gsp » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:22 pm

We feed our dogs the Kirkland brand premium food from Costco. We had our vet check it out, and she said it was just as good as the premium brands. The lamb & rice is going for about $17-18 per bag.

When we had six BIG dogs and were going though 40-50 pounds a week, half the price was a good incentive to switch, and the dogs seem to like it too.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:20 pm

Didn't know that corn, the best balanced and economical source of carbs were so bad.

You will find there is little difference in 99% of the feed out there and all will do a good job of providing the essential nutrients to our dogs.

Some of us that are working our dogs harder need some extra fat and protien sometimes so thats where we like the "Premium" feeds. But there are many cheaper feeds that spend a lot less for advertising that provide the same thing.

Find a feed your dog likes and you can afford and if the dog is doing ok it is a good feed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

hjackson

Re: food

Post by hjackson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:42 am

NJ GSP wrote: When we had six BIG dogs and were going though 40-50 pounds a week, half the price was a good incentive to switch, and the dogs seem to like it too.
about a 150lbs a week here 8)

hjackson

Post by hjackson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:45 am

that has always been my saying :lol:
I have fed everything under the sun and keeping coming back to Diamond and Purina.
I have 2 GSPs that I have a hardtime getting weight on and keeping weight on - vet checked and no worms - but they are very very very active. Then I have 2 that I have to watch because they put the weight on very easy.
ezzy333 wrote:Didn't know that corn, the best balanced and economical source of carbs were so bad.

You will find there is little difference in 99% of the feed out there and all will do a good job of providing the essential nutrients to our dogs.

Some of us that are working our dogs harder need some extra fat and protien sometimes so thats where we like the "Premium" feeds. But there are many cheaper feeds that spend a lot less for advertising that provide the same thing.

Find a feed your dog likes and you can afford and if the dog is doing ok it is a good feed.

Ezzy

shets114

Post by shets114 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:27 am

ezzy333 wrote:Didn't know that corn, the best balanced and economical source of carbs were so bad.

Ezzy
http://www.beowulfs.com/magazine/corn.htm

Your absolutely correct. Corn is 90% digestable and for a good portion of dogs there is no problem with it. Others they will put on unwanted pounds and some will have skin conditions related to corn, wheat, soy or other grains. The VF formula like many others give a alternative to feeding a food high in grain.
Corn in dog food can be an extra energy source also, however when you get into by products of corn and fracturing of ingredients then you soon begin to feed a corn based food when you think you are buying a meat based product. I have a particular dislike of Corn Gluten Meal. I fed P P Performance for 7 years and could never understand why my dog got hot after just an hour or so of running. After I switched off to a food with no corn or corn gluten meal the problem was solved and another thing I noticed along with friends was the brown spots in the yard cleared up and a buddies shrubs weren't dieing off from the dog urinating on them all the time. There was something in there that caused it.
Dog has tremedous stamina now, hunt her here in PA winter time 20 deg went to Mississippi two days later 78 deg never missed a lick.

Holden05

Post by Holden05 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:15 am

I just switched to Black Gold from Pro-Plan, my dog is peeing blood now. Not sure if it's the food or not but that's the only thing that has really changed. Do you guys have any ideas? He isn't in any discomfort but it worries me a bunch. This is the second time this has happened to him. Are there any alternative foods that are less harsh on the urinary tract? This could possibly be a completely unrelated problem but is kind of coincidental to me.

hjackson

Post by hjackson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:17 am

sounds like an infection - male or female?
I would take a urine sample into the vet
sometimes a food with a higher ph balance can affect some dogs.

Holden05

Post by Holden05 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:46 am

The dog's a male, this is the second time this has happened. You are probably correct, just seem coincidental that when I switched food shortly after this happens. I don't really remember where we were at the last time this happened, if I was between foods or not. I haven't always used pro-plan, tried a few other things.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:54 am

now I'm hearing that the protein % doesnt need to be much above 20% for the off season, I heard that its hard on their kidneys? I do supplement the dry with ground venison, Rocco did well for a good while on HiPro but he crapped alot. I need to find something affordable for three dogs.....I'm going to Sam's Club tonight and compare pricing etc....I'll most likely still switch to ProPlan for summer training and hunting season but...I need to find a cheaper alternative from January-May/June.......
Jason

hjackson

Post by hjackson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:41 pm

I would definetly take in a urine sample - UTI are not as common in male dogs as in females - sometimes stones (kidney/bladder) will cause blood in the urine. When you take in the sample note if you have noticed your dog drinking more or urinating more frequently. Also the diet change.
Also it is very important to finish all medications when dealing with UTIs even if the dog seems better in a few days. I give my young puppy girls cranberry pills to help with vaginist and female UTIs
Holden05 wrote:The dog's a male, this is the second time this has happened. You are probably correct, just seem coincidental that when I switched food shortly after this happens. I don't really remember where we were at the last time this happened, if I was between foods or not. I haven't always used pro-plan, tried a few other things.

Holden05

Post by Holden05 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:52 pm

We're going to be heading to the vet shortly. Thanks for the advice. I didn't mean to hijack your thread sorry, just wanted to illustrate the change that has happened that has coincided with my changing of feed.

hjackson

Post by hjackson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:38 pm

Let us know what the vet says!

shets114

Post by shets114 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:51 pm

JasonM wrote:now I'm hearing that the protein % doesnt need to be much above 20% for the off season, I heard that its hard on their kidneys? I do supplement the dry with ground venison, Rocco did well for a good while on HiPro but he crapped alot. I need to find something affordable for three dogs.....I'm going to Sam's Club tonight and compare pricing etc....I'll most likely still switch to ProPlan for summer training and hunting season but...I need to find a cheaper alternative from January-May/June.......
This is kinda a misinformation passed on and on. Unless you have a dog with Kidney problems you are not likely to have problems. I know of many people who run 30% protein year round. Just be sure to provide sufficient water.

I have a guy who has national champion beagles that have won or placed in the top five numerous times. He runs 30-22 on his dogs. When I ask other beaglers what they feed the first thing out of there mouth is low a protein as possible. Then when I tell them what Kennedy's feeding they can't belive it. He has a pretty good reputation around here. Some guys are changing there feeding habits.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:17 pm

Protien repairs and helps grow body tissue. Carbs and fat provide energy. When a dog or a person is working hard or running they need a lot of carbs and fats for the energy they provide. Afterwards the protien will help repair any damage that happened. High protien probably does nothing to help at the time of the event.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Holden05

Post by Holden05 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:07 pm

We visited with the vet today, she put him on antibiotics for a bladder infection. She figures it was the diet change, so it looks like I'm going to have to keep feeding pro-plan.