more pigeon questions

big_fish

more pigeon questions

Post by big_fish » Sat May 25, 2013 3:02 pm

I was out looking at my pigeons and only seen 9 out and I have 10 so I looked in side and 1 was setting on a nest with 1 egg under it. I have 2 bowls in there for nest but she just made a nest in the hay beside it should I put the egg in the nest or just leave it be where it is? also how long do pigeon eggs take to hatch? another question is should I put a small waterer and some feed in for her or will she just fly down when she is hungry or thirsty? sorry for so many questions but this seems to be the place for answers
thanks

Rod W

Re: more pigeon questions

Post by Rod W » Sat May 25, 2013 3:09 pm

17 days, she will lay the other egg today or tomorrow. Do not move the egg, the worst thing you can do is try to help them out! They will do just fine. I went thru all of these same problems, just picked up some more homers today.
Last edited by Rod W on Sat May 25, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Pigeons reproduce without starving or death from dehydration. Pretty sure the bird will eat and drink when necessary. They aren't obese pregnant women. :-)

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Sat May 25, 2013 4:35 pm

ok thanks just wanted to do all I could do these are my first pigeons. does the male sit the eggs also?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:44 pm

big_fish wrote:ok thanks just wanted to do all I could do these are my first pigeons. does the male sit the eggs also?
The quick time table is they mate, 5 days later they lay an egg in the morning. Two days later she will lay the 2nd egg in the afternoon and then they will start to set. The hen will set at night and the cock will set usually from 9AM to 4 or 5 PM. The eggs will hatch 18 days after the first egg was laid. Both the cock amd the hen will continue to stay with them as long as needed and both will feed them. The little ones will be able to be put on the floor by about the 20th day if they are up in nest boxes. You don't have to but it is easier to keep everything clean. Within a few days you can put them in a separate loft if you want. And the cycle starts over. If you want to band them you can do it with a seamless permanent ban or you can buy snap one bands and put them on whenever. The bands are just a way you can keep track of who's who.

Ezzy

rinker

Post by rinker » Sun May 26, 2013 5:46 am

Where could I get the 'snap on' bands?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun May 26, 2013 7:10 am

rinker wrote:Where could I get the 'snap on' bands?
Why not order real bands?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:27 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:
rinker wrote:Where could I get the 'snap on' bands?
Why not order real bands?
They all are real bands but the seamless are more expensive and have to be put on sometime during the first week, You can get numbered snap-ons in a lot of different colors. Foy's or any bird supply store would have them.

Ezzy

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Sun May 26, 2013 5:13 pm

she laid the other egg but I haven't seen any other bird sitting on them yet will this happen in time?