Blue buffalo

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Blue buffalo

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:14 pm

We can make all kinds of rules but reading rules never helped anyone understand any of the things we hear or read so should we just let the people who ask questions slide because someone doesn't want to read about the subject. I wish it was that easy as it does get old having people answer the same questions over and over as new people join. But if we don't do that, then there is really no reason for this forum to be here. Every intelligent person I know has questions and only those that are sure they know everything are the one that don't have any though they are the ones that need the most help.

Ezzy

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:48 am

double post
Last edited by roaniecowpony on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:51 am

Sorry miller, I'm with ezzy on what should or shouldn't be discussed on this forum. If old topics were restricted from being discussed again, on any forum, that forum would loose all its participation in weeks or even days. There are dozens of abandoned forums out there on various subjects. Overbearing rules or individual members is a recipe for driving participation to zero on forums.

To me, anyone not willing to get a little warmed up about their position, either doesnt believe in something strongly or doesn't care if you believe what they have said...in latter case, why did they post on the subject to begin with?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:03 am

Would be nice to get a little more use out of the search function.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:07 am

Just trying to figure out how to make the topic more informative for anyone who asks a question. There are few studies out there that does not create bias with brands, but with common ingredients that most dog foods use. I would think using such sources in a response would be helpfull for new members and guests of this forum. I am not disagreeing with both of you, just trying to come up with a way to be more informative.

Again there are a lot of good sources used in the past.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:38 am

ACooper wrote:Would be nice to get a little more use out of the search function.
I'm on a forum where some stuff we refuse to discuss again and again so we make new people search.

The dynamics and environment there are a little less welcoming than here though. It's kinda a rough place. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:40 am

displaced_texan wrote:
ACooper wrote:Would be nice to get a little more use out of the search function.
I'm on a forum where some stuff we refuse to discuss again and again so we make new people search.

The dynamics and environment there are a little less welcoming than here though. It's kinda a rough place. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

Yeah its a balancing act, I guess I could just not read the threads that I think aren't needed... :lol:

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:02 am

ACooper wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:

Yeah its a balancing act, I guess I could just not read the threads that I think aren't needed... :lol:
Definitely a balancing act, especially if you want to be welcoming. Over there we don't care if we're welcoming :grin:

That's easier said than done though!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:22 am

Sometimes, the latest thread will have later information, or just different participants. Just because members A to H discussed a topic shouldn't be a reason members M to Z shouldn't be allowed to discuss the same thing. It's an American tradition. :wink: Members that are bored or fed up with a topic should exercise their right to not read it and, probably more importantly, be civil about it if they do comment.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:43 am

roaniecowpony wrote:Sometimes, the latest thread will have later information, or just different participants. Just because members A to H discussed a topic shouldn't be a reason members M to Z shouldn't be allowed to discuss the same thing. It's an American tradition. :wink: Members that are bored or fed up with a topic should exercise their right to not read it and, probably more importantly, be civil about it if they do comment.
Another American tradition is a place being able to set their own rules...

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:24 am

How much buffalo is in blue buffaloe anyway?

Are there any dog foods that use fish?

I read in the USA the FDA can let one thing be sold as another, like calamari, see they can sell a product called imitation calamari, resturants buy it up and sell it as calamari. In all reality if you knew what it was you probably would not eat it. See they found a use for pig anus's, yep is imitation calamari :)

Food arguements are so funny, most folks dont know what they are really eating....let alone the dogs. Ever been to a rendering plant? The meats and such from the rendering plant is what is in a lot of our dog food. Humans cant eat it...

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:41 am

markj wrote:How much buffalo is in blue buffaloe anyway?

Blue Buffalo is the brand...

Yes there are.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:27 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
markj wrote:How much buffalo is in blue buffaloe anyway?

Blue Buffalo is the brand...

Yes there are.
Except the buffalo on Blue Buffalo is actually a bison, which is genetically pretty much a cow and cannot be called "buffalo" when used as a meat source in pet food. There are foods containing bison, but none with buffalo, although I sell bags of buffalo ears that clearly state the source is India. Those buffalo are buffalo.

KCBrittfan

Post by KCBrittfan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:11 pm

Cajun Casey wrote: Except the buffalo on Blue Buffalo is actually a bison, which is genetically pretty much a cow and cannot be called "buffalo" when used as a meat source in pet food. There are foods containing bison, but none with buffalo, although I sell bags of buffalo ears that clearly state the source is India. Those buffalo are buffalo.
Thanks Cajun -- there is a difference between the words "buffalo" and "bison", although most Americans use the terms interchangeably.

As for the dog food debate: lots of good information for someone new to internet forums. I especially like and agree with Ray G.'s and Ezzy's posts.

When my dogs are working hard, they have more endurance and keep weight on better when fed a high protein, high fat food with chicken by-products and corn amongst the top ingredients. It works for me and my dogs, so we're happy. Its interesting that the dog food review web sites I've seen (including the one started by a dentist) all decry chicken by-products and corn. :roll:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 pm

KCBrittfan wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote: Except the buffalo on Blue Buffalo is actually a bison, which is genetically pretty much a cow and cannot be called "buffalo" when used as a meat source in pet food. There are foods containing bison, but none with buffalo, although I sell bags of buffalo ears that clearly state the source is India. Those buffalo are buffalo.
Thanks Cajun -- there is a difference between the words "buffalo" and "bison", although most Americans use the terms interchangeably.

As for the dog food debate: lots of good information for someone new to internet forums. I especially like and agree with Ray G.'s and Ezzy's posts.

When my dogs are working hard, they have more endurance and keep weight on better when fed a high protein, high fat food with chicken by-products and corn amongst the top ingredients. It works for me and my dogs, so we're happy. Its interesting that the dog food review web sites I've seen (including the one started by a dentist) all decry chicken by-products and corn. :roll:
We started selling the buffalo ears because people kept asking tor them, even though we have a full line of USA sourced bison rawhide. They wanted BUFFALO. Go figure.......

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:29 am

How much buffalo is in blue buffaloe anyway?
Forgot to add the smilie :)

fish as a food source might be a good one, the old day sled dogs lived on fish and did well on that diet.

Heck table scraps will satisfy the dog but he will get fat :)

Gave a bunch of old freezer burnt meat to a gal feeds that to her dogs, they look very fit.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:06 am

There are a number of high fish diets kibbles out there. The main target in this area is sled dog people. It smells like fish - your dogs start to smell like fish. Some people might not mind.

The sport fishery in this province is completely dead but we can still give commercial permits to folks to sell fish to dog food manufacturers :?: :evil:

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 am

The stores are loaded with fish formulas, mostly for people that feel their dogs have allergies.

Salmon, herring, anchovy, sardines, menhaden, pollock even catfish.

They tend to be expensive and generally they are grain-free foods.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:45 pm

I hear a lot about the fish being contaminated with PCB's and other contaminations. I don't think I would use them unless I absolutely had to.

Ezzy

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:58 pm

MonsterDad wrote:The stores are loaded with fish formulas, mostly for people that feel their dogs have allergies.

Even Purina Pro Plan has a fish based food.

As for food being contaminated, I read that all of our food is contaminated with various things. The questions are: where's the data to support how much contamination is there and what is its effect? And... Is that data valid?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:26 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:The stores are loaded with fish formulas, mostly for people that feel their dogs have allergies.

As for food being contaminated, I read that all of our food is contaminated with various things. The questions are: where's the data to support how much contamination is there and what is its effect? And... Is that data valid?
I can't answer your question as I have no idea what things you are talking about. I do know that the fish has a problem but I can not tell you what effect it might have on our dogs. If it is like most things, very little I would imagine. One of the problems is people keep trying to compare dog nutrition as well as digestion to people and there is a big difference. If you find any info on the things you are talking about it might be interesting to see.

Ezzy

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:22 pm

I wasnt gonna feed fish, just posting out loud :) I use PMI nutrition, maybe not the best but certainly not the worst. I have fed all sorts of animals and I can say my dogs like corn, layer crumbles :) eggs yep if one is cracked it goes to the dogs, they eat it whole shell and all. Found them chewing on a dead something just today. Smelled horribly but they sure got upset after I took it and put it in the garbage...was hair and bones...

Had a dog tried to eat firecrackers when lit...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 pm

markj wrote:I wasnt gonna feed fish, just posting out loud :)
Had a dog tried to eat firecrackers when lit...
I would think that could cause a stomach ache. :roll:

Ezzy

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:01 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
roaniecowpony wrote:

I can't answer your question as I have no idea what things you are talking about. I do know that the fish has a problem but I can not tell you what effect it might have on our dogs. If it is like most things, very little I would imagine. One of the problems is people keep trying to compare dog nutrition as well as digestion to people and there is a big difference. If you find any info on the things you are talking about it might be interesting to see.

Ezzy

Ezzy, you mentioned that fish is contaminated and now that it's a problem. Similarly to someone stating that some food is "better" without substantiation, stating that a food is a "problem" without substantiation is just the flipside.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 pm

I would think that could cause a stomach ache.
No, it burnt the inside of his mouth so he was locked up during the 4th time frame. Silly dogs.