Eye goobers

chuckanut

Eye goobers

Post by chuckanut » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:20 pm

For the past couple of weeks both of my dogs have this green goop in their eyes, especially in the morning. Because both of them have it and it's in both eyes I think I can rule out injury. I suspect it's some sort of infection but I'm trying to decide how long I should wait to see a vet. Is this something I can treat at home with saline or something? Thoughts?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Eye goobers

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Isotonic eyewash containing boric acid should help.

Wenaha

Re: Eye goobers

Post by Wenaha » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:20 pm

chuckanut wrote:For the past couple of weeks both of my dogs have this green goop in their eyes, especially in the morning. Because both of them have it and it's in both eyes I think I can rule out injury. I suspect it's some sort of infection but I'm trying to decide how long I should wait to see a vet. Is this something I can treat at home with saline or something? Thoughts?
Are their eyes red? The 'green goop' could be infection, allergy, or just the result of heavy pollen in the air that their eyes are getting rid of...

If this IS an infection I find that Terramycin - which is formulated for treating opthalmic infections should clear it up. You can get this at your vet's or a veterinary supply house.