Pad Injury

markerdown

Pad Injury

Post by markerdown » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:36 am

My #1 GSP ran thru some freakin' glass this morning and tore up all four feet pads. Some are just skinned with a flap of external pad hangin off, others are surface sliced. Field cleaned and applied EMT gel. Daym that has to hurt. Cleaned them up further at the house, aplied some topical stuff and for now gauze wrapped, but they won't stay on long.

Any meds recommendation for a speedy heal? I used to have some messy stuff that came in a green plastic bottle but don't recall the name.
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

jwnissen

Re: Pad Injury

Post by jwnissen » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 pm

This happened twice to my dog, just not that bad. I would take her to a vet and get some antibiotics. Because their feet are always on contaminated ground, antibiotics would only help. I just bought some of that sticky wrap and wrapped her foot up in that. It would last a day or 2 without her chewing on it too bad. We made sure it was loose on her foot and that seemed to help a lot. As you probabally already found out, they dont like to sit down and let you work on them. Drove my wife crazy trying to bandage her foot. It kills me that people just throw out their trash for our dogs to get cut up on. :evil:

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:54 pm

I like and carry EMT gel.

But For feet injuries, your vet may or may not recommened it...
Keep it clean and aired. And rest it.
You might be back in 1-3 weeks with good rest.
They usually wont stitch pads either. Just rest thats it, been there, done that.

Good luck
'Late season birds will not hold for a dog that is less than 200 yards from the handler'
-Slistoe 12-26-12

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Speed Healing = Vetericyn for sure.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Super Glue.

Sterile and is great for pad injuries.

Torn, worn through holes etc. Super Glue edges after cleaning and disinfecting inner areas.

I even use it on torn pads of dogs so they can hunt or run next day at a trial.

Key is to get a hard layer over torn area and keep it from getting sore.

With cuts, oral antibiotics would be needed.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks guys. I've superglue on cuts on my hands before, but these pad injuries are pretty extensive. Like the whole top layer of pad has been peeled back on the large pad, I get a cold chill just lookin at it, it's gotta freakin' hurt. Yeah, a trip to the vet this week for antibiotics is in order, gotta keep him off his feet, let the wounds air out, and keep him from licking at them... yeah right .....for an active gsp, it's gonna be a fun week.

***** Update*** Back pads were cut way deeper than I had thought and all sliced in a semi-circle pattern. Vet cleaned them out better than I did, gave him some meds and the hound is home resting. He's done for the season