$20 upgrade for the boys.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:25 pm

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: $20 upgrade for the boys.

Post by ultracarry » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:18 pm

I take it you finally moved?

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Straw breaks down rapidly and creates a large amount if irritating dust.
You'll be much better off using grass hay.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Xhipi1

Post by Xhipi1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:09 pm

sorry to somewhat hijack this tread but wanting to keep the dog house warm i put some old padded carpet in the house is this better than the hay?

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:45 am

Very nice! I am all for spending less cash and labor exertion for a final product that serves the same purpose.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:41 am

ultracarry wrote:I take it you finally moved?

If you ask me yes, my wife probably no, I still have a bunch of stuff to do :D
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:03 am

Xhip if your dog decides to eat that carpet it may end up costing you more then replacing the straw everyday.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 am

Carpet is bad. Cost a friend a few grand because he felt bad the dog laid on the concrete in lieu of the karunda bed.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 am

I used barrels for dog houses for years. Then I decided to buy some commercially made insulated houses, I paid well over $200, each. I put them in the dog pens with bedding in them and the dogs kept using the barrels. I thought that they were just accustomed to the barrels, so I removed the barrels and the dogs started using the new houses. I thought about this several months later, and I put a barrel back in each pen just to see what the dogs would do. They immediately started using the barrels again. I still thought that they may do this out of habit because that is what they had always had. Some time later I bought a young dog, and I thought about this as I was driving him home. I know that this dog had never seen a barrel. I put him in a pen with a barrel and a dog house, he chose the barrel. After this, I later did similar experiments with various types of bedding, and the dogs consistently chose straw. So, I now use plastic barrels with straw.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Xhipi1 wrote:sorry to somewhat hijack this tread but wanting to keep the dog house warm i put some old padded carpet in the house is this better than the hay?
Carpet and carpet pad are dangerous. Dogs chew and eat it then can get balled up in their intenstines.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:26 pm

I had a littermate to my first gsp eat carpet. The plastic weaving sliced up his stomach and intestines. NO Carpet!
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Doesn't using plastic barrels lead to a lot of condensation ?

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:
Xhipi1 wrote:sorry to somewhat hijack this tread but wanting to keep the dog house warm i put some old padded carpet in the house is this better than the hay?
Carpet and carpet pad are dangerous. Dogs chew and eat it then can get balled up in their intenstines.

Yep,
I just use old Pizza boxes as a liner..take out the cold.
Lots of Hobos use them, they insultate pretty well, I throw in an old fleece blanket too.
Happy dogs
'Late season birds will not hold for a dog that is less than 200 yards from the handler'
-Slistoe 12-26-12

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Fleece blankets can be eaten just the same as carpet,rags,rugs,socks you name it can all cause the same results if eaten!!NOT GOOD!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:39 am

Trekmoor wrote:Doesn't using plastic barrels lead to a lot of condensation ?

Bill T.
I don't think it will be a problem with the front open, we don't get very cold here so not too worried about a door, when I was looking at the k-9 kondo with a door I noticed it had a vent on the back to deal with condensation I assume.
- Mark Twain-

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:58 am

Vented door.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:25 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Vented door.
How do they get in and out of it, does it swing both ways?
- Mark Twain-

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:44 am

I have it latched open there for the summer.It is spring loaded,the outer edge has a 2 inch lip turned out at about a 45 degree angle,they use their nose & then just walk in the spring closes it behind them.When they want out they just walk out again using their nose to lead.Puppies learn to use it at 8 wks of age I just wire it open a couple inches to see daylight & they go through the opening & in a few days take off the wire & they use it just like the older dogs.In puppies I think it helps develop boldness & confidence.JMO

Just an after thought,if the door is closed & the dog wants to stay in they will lay with their foot holding it open to see out or get more fresh air. :)

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:I have it latched open there for the summer.It is spring loaded,the outer edge has a 2 inch lip turned out at about a 45 degree angle,they use their nose & then just walk in the spring closes it behind them.When they want out they just walk out again using their nose to lead.Puppies learn to use it at 8 wks of age I just wire it open a couple inches to see daylight & they go through the opening & in a few days take off the wire & they use it just like the older dogs.In puppies I think it helps develop boldness & confidence.JMO

Just an after thought,if the door is closed & the dog wants to stay in they will lay with their foot holding it open to see out or get more fresh air. :)
I like how you can put more straw in then the k9 door.
- Mark Twain-

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:56 am

Yes the door just closes up against the outside of the barrel or house,I really like them.You do have to replace the springs once in a while as the ears break off.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Vented door.
I noticed the Scott's kennel in the background. What's your pick between the two? I was thinking about making more Scott's type kennels with the barrel instead of the dog house to save time and labor. I use the modified Scott's now for pups and Whelping due to the mess incurred. Really considering all Scott's type kennels here just looking for more input.
Thanks

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 am

I prefer the Scotts,they are more secure,cleaner,& last forever & easier to repair if something does get destroyed.The only reason I have the free standing kennel is the deck it's setting on was at my sisters
& she wanted to get rid of it,I had the barrel so I bought the kennel but don't really like it.It rotted already & less then 5 yrs old I doubt I will buy another.
All the pups I have had in the last 13 yrs have been whelped & raised in the Scott kennels.I realy believe them learning to use the doors,walk on the grated floors,etc helps them learn to handle stress,helps build strength & coordination plus they stay cleaner.