Starting Early

mtclip

Starting Early

Post by mtclip » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:28 am

I planted a pigeon before I let the litter out for their daily exercise/play time and this girl pointed it and her sister backed her.

Bberry20

Re: Starting Early

Post by Bberry20 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:48 am

great pic, very good looking dogs!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Did you fold the wings of put it in a harness? That's pretty nice but if a pup that size jumps the pigeon, actually get's to it, and the pigeon beats the tar out of that small a pup, could be a very bad thing. Nice looking puop's though.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mtclip

Post by mtclip » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:35 pm

The pigeon was secured and none of the pups were in danger! I would not expose the pups to anything negative at such a young age.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:56 pm

DonF wrote:Did you fold the wings of put it in a harness? That's pretty nice but if a pup that size jumps the pigeon, actually get's to it, and the pigeon beats the tar out of that small a pup, could be a very bad thing. Nice looking puop's though.
I keep hearing this but I have never had it happen. Most puppies take it as playing I think and it just makes try to get the bird all the more. I just can't think that a pup with any instinct at all is going to hang it up and quit. I have never shckled my pigeons in any way before the pups at about six weeks old get to find and chase them around the yard.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:10 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
DonF wrote:Did you fold the wings of put it in a harness? That's pretty nice but if a pup that size jumps the pigeon, actually get's to it, and the pigeon beats the tar out of that small a pup, could be a very bad thing. Nice looking puop's though.
I keep hearing this but I have never had it happen. Most puppies take it as playing I think and it just makes try to get the bird all the more. I just can't think that a pup with any instinct at all is going to hang it up and quit. I have never shckled my pigeons in any way before the pups at about six weeks old get to find and chase them around the yard.

Ezzy
Same here Ezzy. When you hear or read this, it sounds as though it makes sense, but like you, I have never had a problem from flapping wings. If it did cause a problem, that puppy is probably one I wouldn't want anyway. The only thing that may be a problem for a very young puppy with good instincts and prey drive, could be if he was to get spurred real good by a cock pheasant, but I just can't see a puppy that has what it takes being scared off from flapping wings. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with being cautious. I have just never worried about it.

To the OP, I love to see those puppy points...Thanks for sharing!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 am

i have seen pups and adult dogs not pick bird up because of flapping wings.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Too much generalizing goes on in a subject such as this................... IMO it is going to depend on the character of the individual dog.Can some handle it and come away unscathed,yep.Can some handle it and be scared for a split second as it gets whacked by the bird wing and come back for more,yep,Can even yet another individual get slapped and be scarred for life........................ you bet.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:46 pm

JIM K wrote:i have seen pups and adult dogs not pick bird up because of flapping wings.
Well then, that proves you are right :roll: .

Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Wildweeds wrote:Too much generalizing goes on in a subject such as this................... IMO it is going to depend on the character of the individual dog.Can some handle it and come away unscathed,yep.Can some handle it and be scared for a split second as it gets whacked by the bird wing and come back for more,yep,Can even yet another individual get slapped and be scarred for life........................ you bet.
But the last dog in your scenario probably wouldn't have made a very good dog regardless. JMO and what I have seen over the years but if you have had a different experience, I certainly can't argue the point.

Charlie

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Actually birddogger................ I had a dammed good dog that I aquired for free as a reject,he had some major issues and was never the shiny diamond that he could have been,he obviously got slapped,spurred or something,he had an incredible desire to find em,point em and that is where the wheels went off the wagon................................ when they hit the dirt and it didn't matter if alive or crippled................. he destroyed them almost to the point of not being able to salvage anything,he'd stand on the wings grab em by the head and field dress them for you, or cut them in half.He sported a scar acrossed his nose and up to the corner of an eye.He was okay once he was broke ............... I'd just fetch em myself.The trainer that had him said " If only a guy could have got this one before he was punched full of holes and had all this baggage" I thought enough of the dog to breed him to another one that was pretty nice and the result was two dogs nicer than their parents,the one I chose has a win record of 32 in AKC/CKC and a couple AF placements,got his FC at just a hair over 2 years old.

The other thing is...................... all of em age differently inbetween the ears,fiddling around with broody homers and an 8 week old pup that is not rockstar bold can cause a wreck.To be safe I yard all of the wing feathers out and the tail feathers as well,with no plumage they can't slap hard,are smaller and thus less intimidating.Just sayin.
birddogger wrote:
Wildweeds wrote:Too much generalizing goes on in a subject such as this................... IMO it is going to depend on the character of the individual dog.Can some handle it and come away unscathed,yep.Can some handle it and be scared for a split second as it gets whacked by the bird wing and come back for more,yep,Can even yet another individual get slapped and be scarred for life........................ you bet.
But the last dog in your scenario probably wouldn't have made a very good dog regardless. JMO and what I have seen over the years but if you have had a different experience, I certainly can't argue the point.

Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:16 pm

As I said, I am not doubting you or arguing, just going on my own experience. I would suggest though, that it sounds like the dog you describe in your post had more going on than getting slapped in the face with wings from a small bird. I will give an example of my own. I have a dog that caught a young turkey when he was just a few months old. I heard the commotion and saw him come running out of the fence row with this seemingly giant bird in his mouth, with the wings flapping wildly. He proudly retrieved the turkey to me. I took the unharmed turkey from him and had to kennel him before I could release the bird because I couldn't keep him away from it other wise. As I released the bird, my dog, Lucky was in his box watching and literally trembling with excitement. This is the type of dog I want. I know, I know, this is just one case, but so is the one you describe. Now, after saying all this, it probably is wiser to wait until the puppy is more than 8 wks. old. It is just that I never worried about it and have never had a problem. Always used smaller birds though [pigeons, quail, etc.] Maybe I have just been fortunate. I apologize for the long post but I just wanted to relay that story. :D

Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Let me just add one more thing.....I don't do much with a puppy that age anyway except play stuff, exposing him to different things and letting him have fun......And it would be a fluke and highly unlikely that he would succeed in pouncing on or catching a pigeon.

Charlie