First night with puppy, what to expect?

trasmuson3

First night with puppy, what to expect?

Post by trasmuson3 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:46 pm

So I pick up my 9 week old GSP puppy tomorrow night and want to know what I should expect for the fist night? Should I expect her to sleep in her kennel without crying? What should I expect as far as her behavior with us for the first night/first little while. Please, any advice would be very helpful! Thank you!

TraditionsGSPs2010

Re: First night with puppy, what to expect?

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Expect all of the above... Talk to your breeder and find out what the nightly routine was like. I just sent 8 puppies home and all varied a bit in their first night at their new homes. Most of them whined a bit but settled in within a reasonable time frame at night. Even the one I kept was none to pleased to not have a warm body to snuggle up too. I believe it is pretty common to have a little whimpering and wining as it is perfectly natural for them to miss their littermates. Help yourself out by wearing him/her out before bed. The crate is an excellent idea so don't give up even if you have to suffer through some noise. One last little piece of advice... Cut all food and water off at least 2 hours before bed and excersise the little one just before bed. This will help both of you make the most of your shut eye!

Congratulations on your new pup and good luck!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:45 am

As the above poster said, plus keep the crate near you if possible, they like to be near their humans. If you can have the crate by your bed and if they whimper you can "shhshh" to calm them and put your hand in front of the crate so they can smell or lick your hand / fingers. Whatever you do, do not give into the whimpering and let them out and into your bed or they win lol.

Corry

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:07 am

I always sleep with my new puppies on the floor for the first few nights. For me it was always a bonding issue to ease the separation anxiety. After that complete crate training, no up on the couch or in my bed. Training starts immediately for house rules. Most important rule in my house is that they are NEVER allowed through an outside doorway without command. It's funny how they learn to respect openings such as garage doors, fence gates. Too many dogs runoff and get hit by cars so I always try to minimize that possibility.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:30 pm

I guess I'm a big pushover... I sleep with mine. They are used to having someone to snuggle with and will happily snuggle with you. They get used to your smell and bond tightly with you..and when they wake up and have to go potty, it's easy to swoop them up and take them out.

Any more, if I don;t have the dogs around to sleep with, I almost fall out of bed myself..looking for a warm body to snuggle up against!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:17 pm

I typically keep the youngsters in a crate in the house for a few days at least...longer if it is cold outside. Tiring them out is a great idea.

One thing I find that helps them to settle down a lot is a small radio tuned to an all night station. My preference is for soft rock or 60's ballads, but get the pup used to whatever kind of music you like, or if you are a talker, all night talk radio is out there for you too.

Many years ago I got a pup and I put it out in its kennel. HE barked ALL NIGHT LONG. This was not good. My neighbors were NOT happy. The second night, he started in again and I said "enough", I put him in with my other dog, an older spayed female and did not really care if he would be alive the next morning. The moment he went into her kennel he ran straight into the coop and did not make a sound the rest of the night. They lived together and hunted together for the next six years until the old girl was diagnosed with cancer of the spine and needed her own space. Best pair of bird dogs I ever had.

RayG

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Awesome info guys, I didn't post this topic but man it will help when I get my GSP pup on Thursday!!!
God Bless

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Mine start in a crate in the house, usually the basement, but if it get noisy the crate may end up in the garage or kennel depending on the weather.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:17 pm

You should expect the pup to pee on the floor, mess on the carpet, get it's foot caught in the crate door and needing immediate care from an emergency vet.

Re-read, make notes, and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

alynch

Post by alynch » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:54 pm

so how was the first night

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:55 pm

x2

I put pup as far away as possible and let them cry it out a night or two. My 3 dogs now head for bed when they hear the 11pm news come on. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:37 pm

So we're starting our first night with our new pup. Definitely the cutest thing I have ever seen. I've read a couple of different things and have taken some great advice from everyone and appreciate it. So some of you say you put them in the crate and let them cry it out, and others say to sleep with them the first couple of nights. Right now she is sleeping in our bed, and she is out like a light bulb! We just got her 2 hours ago, so she has been very scared and timid, so I think for the first couple nights she'll sleep with us, and than we will move to leaving her in her crate every night. Thanks again for all the advice!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:11 am

ezzy333 wrote:Mine start in a crate in the house, usually the basement, but if it get noisy the crate may end up in the garage or kennel depending on the weather.

Ezzy
ezzy333 wrote:Mine start in a crate in the house, usually the basement, but if it get noisy the crate may end up in the garage or kennel depending on the weather.

Ezzy
I with Ezzy, they learn quick that they sleep in the crate. I really have never had a problem with it. We have an old style clock that has the two bells on top. You can feel it tick and tock. I wrapped that in a towel and put it in the crate. Seems to resemble the heartbeat of another. They seem to get over it quick. Found them every morning snuggled up next to the towel or draped over it.

Good luck finding any of those clocks any more.

Jiminla

Post by Jiminla » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 am

Put an old shoe or shirt in the kennel with him. Something with your smell on it. Also if possible, during the day put him out on a stake with a cable. Great if someone is at home for intermittent supervision.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:39 pm

trasmuson3 wrote:So we're starting our first night with our new pup. Definitely the cutest thing I have ever seen. I've read a couple of different things and have taken some great advice from everyone and appreciate it. So some of you say you put them in the crate and let them cry it out, and others say to sleep with them the first couple of nights. Right now she is sleeping in our bed, and she is out like a light bulb! We just got her 2 hours ago, so she has been very scared and timid, so I think for the first couple nights she'll sleep with us, and than we will move to leaving her in her crate every night. Thanks again for all the advice!
Letting pup sleep in your bed is bonding but you simply forestalled the inevitable. Sooner or later she has to sleep in the crate. If fact you may have made it harder for her to make that adjustment. You've also taught pup that she is equal to you. You both sleep in the bed. At some point you'll have to establish that you are not equal.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

trasmuson

Post by trasmuson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 pm

So just a little update of our pup. She slept with us last night, but I think that was a one time thing and she'll have to handle the crate from now on at night. I'm just nervous that she will never stop whining... Will the whining eventually stop? I am going to put an old shirt in there with her to be able to have some of our scent. So far the two hardest parts about her is the crate training and also we're having a hard time with our older pup (1 1/2 year old) to accept her. He hasn't played with her at all and has growled at her a few times already. We have been showing him just as much love so that he wouldnt be jealous but he still hasnt accepted her. How long does it usually take for them to accept? Again I appreciate all the advice!

Her is a picture so you can put a visual on the cute little girl. Meet Oakley...
IMG_7535.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trasmuson

Post by trasmuson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:05 pm

IMG_3001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:14 pm

You might try kenneling during the day, if someone is around to let her out every few hours. My wife works nights so It was easy to break her. The kids were at school and momma let her out midday to play around then the kids got her at 3 after school. Put her in the back room and shut the door. Don't know how much she whined nor do I care. Within a few days she went all night without a sound.

Just a thought,

Joe

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:02 am

very cute pup, i must say i am a little partial to the liver!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:14 am

Sharon wrote:
trasmuson3 wrote:So we're starting our first night with our new pup. Definitely the cutest thing I have ever seen. I've read a couple of different things and have taken some great advice from everyone and appreciate it. So some of you say you put them in the crate and let them cry it out, and others say to sleep with them the first couple of nights. Right now she is sleeping in our bed, and she is out like a light bulb! We just got her 2 hours ago, so she has been very scared and timid, so I think for the first couple nights she'll sleep with us, and than we will move to leaving her in her crate every night. Thanks again for all the advice!
Letting pup sleep in your bed is bonding but you simply forestalled the inevitable. Sooner or later she has to sleep in the crate. If fact you may have made it harder for her to make that adjustment. You've also taught pup that she is equal to you. You both sleep in the bed. At some point you'll have to establish that you are not equal.
Sooner or later? Who say's? July will be five years my boy's have been sleeping in bed. Had a lady friend over a while back. She sure crowded things up. Thought about having her sleep on the couch. Quite a number of years ago, when Otis was alive and my only dog the same one spent the night and got pushed out of bed by Otis. I found her on the couch the next morning! True story!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:09 am

What can I say Don. Sometimes a rule doesn't work. :)That must be a desperate woman to put up with that. :wink:

Trasmuson : Don't interfere with the dogs working this out. There will have to be a row ( rhymes with cow) or two before pecking order is decided. Unless pup is getting wounded, just stay out of it.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:13 am

I'd be wary of putting anything soft (i.e. that shirt) in the kennel with the pooch. It might not care too much about it now, but when it does get to gnawing, look out. Our pooch had to have emergency surgery last August to remove a sock from his stomach, and I had a friend whose older dog did the same thing with a heating blanket, but wound up in much worse shape.
My advice: any toys/chew things should be given only when you can monitor the dog, or when you are absolutely certain it isn't going to be an issue. Even rawhides can be a problem.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 am

She is a cutie! Do you crate your older dog? When we got a new pup we would just put it in it's own crate by one of our other dogs and it would learn from them. They are crated in the room farthest from our bedroom :) We do leave a radio on for them, seems to help with some of the outside noises.

trasmuson

Post by trasmuson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:51 am

Yes at night we crate the older dog. He wouldn't have it any other way. We store them in our storage space under our stairs. Last night we left her in her crate next to the older one and she whined about 10 minutes after we put her in there, than she finally calmed down. About 3 hours later, woke up to her crying again, went down, took her out and had her "do it" with no problem. Same thing, put her back in, she cried for about 10 minutes than fell back asleep. So I think we are on the right track, and I think she'll get used to it pretty soon here. I know you shouldnt reward the puppy for whining in crate by letting her out, but when i woke up to her crying in the middle of the night, its ok to let her out than right? Again, thanks for all the advice!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Good work! :)

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm

My two dogs were the complete opposite in terms of how they acted when I took them home. My lab never made a sound from the first night on. In fact the first morning I forgot I had a puppy in the house until I got up and saw her in her crate when walked accross the house. My second pup however hated the crate. She would whine all night long if I let her. The only thing that worked was to move the crate into my bedroom and face it toward my lab. As long as the pup could see the older dog she was OK.

trasmuson

Post by trasmuson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Is it normal for my puppy to spaz out when I put her in the kennel? I cant get her to want to go in there for anything, treats, food, ect... Nothing has been working. I have had to basically force her to go in there, but what other techniques can I use so it doesnt seem so bad for her to be in there because I have to force her? When I finally do get her in there, she shakes the whole time while she cries, and as soon as that crate door does open she tries to burst out as fast as possible, and I shut the door on her trying to teach her that she doesnt exit until I give the "OK." I'm sorry for all the questions, I just want to do my best with the little girl. I sound like its all been bad news with her, but has been nothing but great. She has only had one small accident in the house and does a great job at "doing it" when I let her out. And she is one bold pup. I took her on a little walk with the older pup in a field and she was great at following him and busting through some thick cover, than come back and check in with me. For 9 weeks old, she has a lot of boldness and personality.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:32 pm

my pup sleeps in the kennel next to the bed where i can lay my hand on the kennel which seemed to calm her down when see was younger, also a chew toy such as a kong which so far is indestructable and safe for a unsupervised puppy helps keep um busy, putting my pup side by side in her crate with our house dog, calmed her down during the day when we are gone. at first i also cover her kennel with a light blanket at night seemed to keep her calmer at night,she gets a treat before we leave when she is told to kennel know she goes strait to her kennel and pops her head out and waits for her treat, thats her best command so far
Last edited by ibbowhunting on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:37 pm

i like to keep my puppys in crate and not free run house until they are much older ,like over 6 months.
secret to crate is getting puppy OUT and walking etc outside.
feeding in crate helps .
letting puppy out of crate at early age to run in house is not for me.
after they are calm and not chewing wires etc, its fine.

buckmaster

Post by buckmaster » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:46 am

It had been 7 years since 4 kids since we had a puppy...i forgot what it was like until 3 weeks ago when our new setter came home. If the pup is being shipped to you by air or traveling long distances...anything particularly stressful...I would spend the first night with the dog...after that it goes to the kennel.
Keep in mind how undeveloped a 9 week old puppy's bladder and bowel control is. Our girl started out having to pee every 1.5 hours. Also if they engage in rough play or get excited...count on them immediately having to go to the bathroom or loosing bladder control. After they eat...have to go to the bathroom immediately.
I believe in pre-empting the dog...you know when she will have to go better than the dog...by following those rules...first few days...I take them out every 1.5 hours...after play, out immediately...after eating out immediately.
Plus by setting my alarm and pre-empting her,I get her before she barks or whines to go out...and I think it builds a level of trust with the dog...and it removes the potential issue of the dog associating barking/vocalizing at night, with the reward of me coming down and then going outside. Also ....do not let the dog go unsupervised in the house for more than a few seconds...if you can't watch her she goes in the kennel/crate.
Its just like potty training kids...be diligent early on, and you will have a well trained kid or dog at an early age.
Our little Sunny just turned 12 weeks old and now sleeps thru the night without a wimper and can go 7 hours in her kennel if necessary.. and zero accidents in the house after week one.....not that i want her alone, but she can if needed without an issue.
So look at it that way...two weeks of work, and you are well on your way to a well behaved dog.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 am

The first night with my pup was horrible, he cried all night, not a normal cry, a devil cry we should of shipped him back the next morning. but it got better and within a week he was sleeping all night.

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:07 am

Yeah so, so far we have been really good at watching her in our house and she has only had about 2 accidents in the house in the 4 days of us having her.  The only real concern that I have with her is that she has not taken to the crate training one bit. She fights going in every time we try putting her in, she cries and howls a death scream while she is in there and burst out the door as soon as it opens whimpering and whining while shaking like crazy.  I have tried treats to entice her to go in, I’ve tried feeding her in there, and so far nothing has worked. I have read most people say that they start to get better as the nights go on, but she hasn’t shown any sort of improvement, and seems as though it might be getting worse. Any more thoughts or ideas? I know eventually she will take it in, but so far no sign of it… Thanks again!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:29 am

I'm sorry to hear that. You can't be getting much sleep. If you give in now you are pooched though.

buckmaster

Post by buckmaster » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:45 am

You said you tried treats and feeding her in there....what does that mean? It is all about consistencyy...if you are going to "try it" you have to feed her in there consitently the same way every meal...no exceptions. Also, do not let her come out of the crate unless you call her...and again be consistent every single time without exception. All puppies get excited and jump around...squirt..whatever and want to bolt out of the crate. Just push her back in...then push her back in ..then push her back in...then if she come out a little...just tap her nose until she stays there.....then when she is quiet and staying in the kennel for a few seconds...call her out and praise her a little...but don't get her too excited.
At meal time..let her watch you put the food in the kennel...then when she runs in the kennel gently grab her by the flank and prevent her from going in...then do it again and again until she pauses and waits for a few seconds...then let her go eat and give her a good girl.
When you give her treats, only in the kennel and only when she goes in there and is calm. you hold the treat and wait til she settles down...they will figure it out after a few tries. By the end of week one a 10-11 week old pup should have it figured out...then when they see someone pick up a food bowl...or a treat box...they usually sprint into their open kennel and lay down quietly and wait for a treat. When they get to that point that is when I introduce Whoa for the first time...i call them out of the kennel, put the food in and say whoa gently..then same deal...prevent the dog from entering the kennel until you say "ok" or tap their head. Food conditioning is a powerful motivator in young dogs. By the end of a week pups are usually standing in the kitchen standing at whoa waiting for food, with adult dogs...and my 4 kids under 9 walking round them. In your first couple of tries..the interval you look for may only be 5 seconds or so...but each time you can build it until you open the door and a 12 week old puppy will stay there for a few minutes. The kennel is there safe place.
When I come downstairs in the morning obviosuly the pups hear you and get all excited moaning and bouncing around...but by the time it get to the kitchen they are sitting and quiet...since they alreayd know...quiet calm=go out site to play...jumping crying=door stays closed.

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Great advice buckmaster.  When I say “have tried feeding and giving treats,” I mean just that, it hasn’t been consistent. But how do I make it so she even has a desire to eat those treats or her food in there. She doesn’t even pay attention to it when she knows she is going in there. She gets so freaked out in there that she shakes like crazy and when I try to put her in there with her food and leave her alone she jumps all over and spills it every where. I know its about consistency, but how can I make it consistent without her like giving me anything to work with?

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:35 pm

I've never tried this so I don't know if it would work but try feeding the puppy next to the entrace of the crate with the door closed. The next time you feed it, open the door and again place the bowl right infront of the entrace. Next time put the bowl just inside the crate. Next time place the bowl a little further in the crate. Keep doing this until you are placing the bowl at the rear of the crate and start closing the door after the pups inside. Baby steps, one thing builds on another.

buckmaster

Post by buckmaster » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Well couple of questions...I am guessing that she was put in the kennel with the food then the door closed initially ? I would guess if that happened she associates the whole feeding program with a stressful expereince. You want the dog to associate going in the kennel with something positive...in this case treats or food. You let her see you put the food in the kennel, then you let her go into the kennel to get it...then the next step.. is you put the food in and prevent her from going in to the kennel to eat it until you let her, she will be busting at the seams to get into the kennel. Do not put her in the kennel with the food and close the door...she has to go into the kennel on her own to get it. If she was initially locked in the kennel, with the food...and shows no interest, she has developed an association you don't want.
If that is the case you have to start over from square one and be patient, fix it right the first time, she is still a baby.
Find her favorite treat...hotdog, piece of bland chicken whatever works...give her a treat or two...then put the next one in the the kennel and leave the door open...let her go in have a treat...go out on her own, no stress. After she goes in and out on her own no stress for a treat you can work up to feeding her in there...then when she is ready follow the aforementioned program. If she has is really freaked out...you may literally have to start over with all aspects of crate training...put her in there for short periods of time...if she is quiet...take her out to play. Then put her back in...and extend the time little by little. Be patient and consistent. If you are at work and can't follow thru..dont start until the weekend where you can devote your attention to it., and give her two very consitent scheduled days.
MY truck, which has the back seat replaced with fixed crates/kennels was in the shop, so the new pups had not been in it yet until the other day...I picked them up put them in the truck and didn't do anything,..the first thing they did was run back and sit in the kennels they hadn't been in before because they associate crates as safe/ good places where they get treats, can be left alone...or take them fun places to run around.

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:05 pm

I guess it wouldn’t be puppy training if it was easy right? This board is very helpful, especially for us first time puppy owners. I already messed up with her and it hasn’t even been a week yet. I hope she can forgive me. I tried forcing her to eat in her kennel to soon, when like you guys said, its gotta be baby steps, and start outside of the kennel and let her go in it her self. I think I have ruined her right now as far as wanting to go any where near the kennel to eat her food, so I might have to change over to using hot dogs or something more enticing to get her interest and for her to gain my trust with the kennel.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:55 am

Do you have another dog? if you do try the old monkey see monkey do approach. put older dog in his kennel and give him a treat , make sure pup see's. and then have pup get in the kennel and give him a treat. dont shut the door for a while though.

trasmuson

Post by trasmuson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Our older puppy is finally starting to warm up to Oakley, (9 week old GSP) and they have started to wrestle with each other. My question is, how much rough house do you allow between a much bigger 50 pound dog and a 10 pound puppy. I have no problem with them running around playing outside, but I don't want him to hurt her, even if it's just on accident due to the size difference?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:58 pm

I wouldn't worry about it; pup can escape whenever he wants.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:25 pm

do you put both dogs side by side in crates during the daytime? works for us here :D

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:23 am

The pup will yelp if playing starts getting to rough for him. Usually though it is the older dogs that yelp first.