Did some bird introduction

SpinoneIllinois

Did some bird introduction

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Mon May 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Did some quail introduction today with the 10-week-old spinone pup, just a little playing. She was all happy with the first one, which I held by the feet and allowed to flap around. She wanted to get it, and she gently grabbed it with her mouth, repeatedly. I then let it fly away and she watched.
Second bird got away from me and went under the truck. Pup chased it all over under the truck, around tires. She finally caught it and I let her have her way with it for awhile. Then I took it and tossed it into the pond, about 5 feet out. She quickly went out and got it, having to swim just a little.
Then I planted a couple in mesh bags. She caught scent as I led her to them, and she wanted to get them, but I held her back and released the birds. I did that a third time and hoped she'd point, but she didn't. She hesitated a little, but didn't point. Again I released the bird. On that final release, as I held her back with the CC in one hand, she didn't seem as intently focused on the bird I was releasing.
We then headed home and called it a good day. Am I right? I was really hoping she'd point, but she definitely enjoyed the birds and had her best water experience so far.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Did some bird introduction

Post by mcbosco » Mon May 28, 2012 5:10 pm

What kind of quail was it? Did she bring the bird from the water to you?

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Sounds like great bird intro. On the a good track. The best way to bring out the natural point is to let him knock and chase loose planted birds. Fly a couple of those quail out into some cover or very lightly plant them. Let him discover, bump and chase. He'll be pointing like a rock star in no time. Dogs have the point bred in them, just give them oppurtunity to develop it (think how a dog would bump and chase wild birds, no check cord necessary). Good luck with the pup.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Mon May 28, 2012 5:21 pm

They were bobwhites. Brought the bird to me from the water.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon May 28, 2012 5:49 pm

SpinoneIllinois wrote:They were bobwhites. Brought the bird to me from the water.
The point will come, she is doing the hard part already. That is great she is retrieving to you. You clearly have a good relationship with her.

Spinone mature very slowly, keep that in mind. Keep it fun and short for a while.

Coveyrise64 on here has a buddy with two great Spinoni see if you can make contact with him.

How is she with the Brit?

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Mon May 28, 2012 6:47 pm

How is she with the brit? Just the opposite of what I expected. She's definitely trying to establish dominance over the brit. Eats first from the dinner bowl, nips at her and instigates other stuff. The brit finally gets fed up and goes off on her. Seems that I have to separate them once or twice a day, then they're fine again until the next flare-up. Any advice there?
The brit lets the pup eat first and shows other signs of being submissive, but she'll also try to hump the pup (both females). Maybe they're still trying to settle the dominance?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon May 28, 2012 7:02 pm

I would definitely keep them apart while eating. I have never had two females maybe others can chime in.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon May 28, 2012 7:02 pm

I would definitely keep them apart while eating. I have never had two females maybe others can chime in.

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 pm

I have 3 females, a DD (16 week pup) and 2 GSPs(6&9)... Same thing as you said with the nipping and instigating, only thing different is that I feed all three from their own bowls. The DD nips at their haunches on leashed walks and hasn't quite figured out an acceptable level of play for the GSPs, who both like their space and have implemented their own "no touching" policy. I walk a fine balance between letting the older ladies correct her and making sure they don't take it too far. IMO if she instigates and gets popped she deserves it, if she jumps on the opposite couch cushion and the big girls get upset then they're at fault.

As for your bird work, that sounds excellent! My pup is about the same, loves the water, retrieving, and birds... So much so we're also working on establishing the point. Give the pup time, the more birds that flush in front of her the better, as she gets older you'll start seeing the flash points and then so good solid lock ups. Keep up the exposure.

Where in IL are you?

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Mon May 28, 2012 7:36 pm

Bosco, they don't fuss with each other during the feeding -- the brit just lets the pup go first. But that definitely sounds like a good idea to feed them separately from now on. Will do.
Deuce, I'm about 50 miles straight east from St. Louis. You? I understand what you're saying about the fine line on the interaction between the pups. Part of me says to separate them when they get feisty, but part of me says to let them work it out and establish their boundaries.

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Mon May 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Live about 25 miles west of St Louis. Are you doing anything with NAVDHA? The MO Uplands chapter is running a training day the 9 and/or 10 of June.

I'm new to all this myself, I've been saying my pup does wonders for my patience. Slowly, but surely that point will come, as well as her relationship with your other dog.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Mon May 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Yes! I'm definitely hooking up with Mo. Uplands NAVHDA. Need to get my check sent in. They had a test day a couple of weeks ago, and I went there to check them out and introduce myself. All were very nice guys who seemed very knowledgeable and eager to share what they know.