Pigeons Inbreeding

ROTTnBRITT

Pigeons Inbreeding

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Is this something that you need to worry about with your loft?

Munster

Re: Pigeons Inbreeding

Post by Munster » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:56 pm

ROTTnBRITT wrote:Is this something that you need to worry about with your loft?
Na, isnt that how they get rollers? :lol:
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:14 pm

As long as you call it linebreeding you'll be ok :wink:

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Have any of you seen the movie, "Idiocracy"? I have two young pigeons that recently laid and hatched one of the two eggs. They were all lovey-dovey sharing the nesting duties, but now that there's a baby involved, the male wants to hog the nest, and he's been downright mean to the Mrs. I've been suspect of his mental state since I first acquired him. Now, I'm pretty sure he's not playing with a full deck. So, what should I expect from his offspring? "Rollers"? :D

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Thu May 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Years ago I shot a pigeon over the pond for a pup. It fell 50 feet, another pup got loose, and the two pups tore him apart. I tossed his bloody carcass in the back of the truck on a hot summer day. Two days later, he sat up begging for water. I banded him (I don't shoot banded birds) and nursed him back to health. A year later, 'Lucky' and 11 other pigeons were sitting in a tree that was struck by lightening. 9 fell to their deaths. Only Lucky and his daughter (out of his mother) survived. I banded her and named her 'Fortune.' Over the years, I eliminated all of my pigeons except Lucky, Fortune and their offspring. After 10-15 generations of intense inbreeding, I had a line of the toughest pigeons you ever did see!

Aline Curran
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu May 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Wow, quite a story.
brenda

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 pm

zzweims wrote:Years ago I shot a pigeon over the pond for a pup. It fell 50 feet, another pup got loose, and the two pups tore him apart. I tossed his bloody carcass in the back of the truck on a hot summer day. Two days later, he sat up begging for water. I banded him (I don't shoot banded birds) and nursed him back to health. A year later, 'Lucky' and 11 other pigeons were sitting in a tree that was struck by lightening. 9 fell to their deaths. Only Lucky and his daughter (out of his mother) survived. I banded her and named her 'Fortune.' Over the years, I eliminated all of my pigeons except Lucky, Fortune and their offspring. After 10-15 generations of intense inbreeding, I had a line of the toughest pigeons you ever did see!

Aline Curran
+1 best story i have read here in a while. Thanks

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

We often breed father/daughter or mother/son and even breed brother sister sometimes in pigeons to produce our best breeding stock. And when we were raising rabbits our best does were bred back to their father and the young from that were breed back to the father again and then we brought in some new blood and started all over again.

Normally with the pigeons we find the best flyer's are often about 35% inbreeding if you check them out. My theory has always been with all livestock is to use tightly line-bred breeding stock and then bring in a out-cross that may improve any weaknesses you have in your breeding and the offspring will be your good ones and then those should be used back into your breeding line.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.