Sportdog brand

Vizsla Vince

Sportdog brand

Post by Vizsla Vince » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:54 pm

Has anyone ever used these? I know Rick Smith is endorsing them ( for what it's worth). Are they any good?

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:13 pm

Pardon me for not knowing what Sportdog Brand is, but I am curious. Is it a food, collar, underarm deoderant, or what?
big steve

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:24 pm

I have attended 2 Rick Smith seminars and have previewed the collars. After tonights episode while training I think I might just break down and buy one.

I like the set up and the stimulation levels just not to hot on the transmitter design. So far reviews have been pretty good. Their customer service is supposed to be great. The recievers could be a bit smaller but they may come in time.

gusto

Post by gusto » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:24 pm

I have Spotdog 2 dog unit. I have had it a little over a year and its been used daily in a lot of water and cold temps. So far it has worked awesome. the transmitter is small and compact and you can stick in your pocket no problem, you can also program it to three dogs if you buy the extra collar and comes with a lanyard, something i wish my dogtra and tritronics came with.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:07 am

SportDog has always been a good brand, not just since Rick Smith started endorsing them. It was obviously a good advertising/PR tactic by SportDog though, as now they're finally getting the credit they've deserved all along.

I do agree, though, that they need to get on the smaller receiver bandwagon quick, and not just with their little 400 yard job. As for the transmitter, I actually like the size. I guess I've got big hands though.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:23 am

I have been using sportdog for 2 years. I run the SD1800 with the add a collar for 2 dogs. I have used TT and DT in the past and am sold on the Sportdog brand. They have a pretty good website to preview the entire line of collars.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:23 am

Wesley Boothe wrote:I have been using sportdog for 2 years. I run the SD1800 with the add a collar for 2 dogs. I have used TT and DT in the past and am sold on the Sportdog brand. They have a pretty good website to preview the entire line of collars.
I'm in the market for a new 2 dog collar w/beeper and have been seriously considering the new Sportdog 1850 as well as the Dogtra 2002 T&B. Boy it's a tough choice, with slight differences in options with each. Both seem to be known for excellent customer service. Price wise they are similiar, although the sportdog will be more money with two collars.

Wes, any issues with your sportdog yet? and if you have how was customer service?

cumberland

Post by cumberland » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:43 pm

I have the Sportdog Sd-1200 with the add a collar option for 2 dogs. They were excellent until the antennas came loose in both receivers due to heavy use. When I contacted Sportdog, they sent me a whole new unit, no questions asked and I had it in 2 days. Excellent service.

I like the way both units work, simple enough for me as a first time collar user to be able to operate correctly. I have considered the Dogtra 2002 T&B though because I like the remote beeper option. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried the Sportdog 1850.

hoffmann35

Post by hoffmann35 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:38 pm

Have any of you used or had a peek at the SD-2400? Is it as cumbersome as it looks or is that just the internet making it look big?
Looks like it has great features though.

Joe

tradhuntr

Post by tradhuntr » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:10 am

i have the sd-2400 i love it. i have had it nearly 2 years now. the transmiter could use a smaller antena but not a real big deal. the range and reliability on it are both great. if you have more then one dog don't get it or if you plan on getting more dogs no add a dog avalible with this one. i was hunting with a guy that uses TT e-colars and he was vary impressed with how well it worked. he is a diehard TT guy and was telling that i needed to get one well on my buget there was no way i could get one. so i looked into the spotdog brand and found that for $250 you can get a vary good reliabil e-coller that in my eyes is just as good as tritroniks. the recever is 100% water proof. the only bad thing i can see is that the transmitter is only water resistant. but i have had this thing out in hard rain and snow i have droped it in snow and water and still works fine. the battery life is great. i use it daily and only charge it once a week just to keep it at full charge. have only drained the batterys once and that was on a week long camping trip and it was going on a week with out charging it at all before the trip.

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:24 pm

I had a beeper go bad after 2 years and they sent me a new one without asking for the bad back and to top it off the new one they sent me was an upgraded model. They have the best customer service I have come across in a long time. Does the dogtra have an antena built into the collar itself. I had a DT that did and was not happy about not being able to trim the collar. That has been my experience.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:19 pm

My Dogtra 1700 does not have the receiver integrated into the collar, it's just slipped on. However, I have seen earlier Dogtra models that do have the receiver actually attached to the collar.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

hilljec

Post by hilljec » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:10 am

I have a SD-400 and had the transmitter go bad. Called up customer service and they had me a new one in a few days no questions asked. So far other than that I have had no problems. Customer service is always a great quality in a company. I would buy another Sport Dog product again!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:00 am

I also use the sportdog collars, replacable batteries when needed and lifetime warrenty sold me. They work fine in the field altho some will slam you for useing them. Long distance check cords..
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:35 pm

I have been very happy with my Sportdog 1800 two dog set. Still going on my second battery charge. Those batteries last forever. I am sold on their products.

Trapper

Post by Trapper » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:41 am

I just saw a Pro Hunter 2400 in the Bargain Flyer for $200 CND (about $180 US) new in the box. I think I'll grab it.
PointFlushRetrieve.com - Personal Gun Dog Blog- Are You Ready? Is your gun dog ready

nsgriffon

Post by nsgriffon » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:45 pm

I have both the 1800 and the 1850. It is have to beat the versatility of the 1800 transmitter, it can be changed to suit your style of training. I hunt around saltwater marsh for snipes and waterfowl and I have not been able to break it. We have gone through a number of other brand name collars that just wouldn't whole up. I really like 1850 for hunting heavy woodcock cover or pheasant in tall cover and being able to run 2 dogs with different tones is a big bonus also.

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:18 pm

Have a SD-1200. Couldn't be happier...great customer service...which means I'll order from them again.

Jesus Alvarado

Post by Jesus Alvarado » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:04 pm

I would definetly get it if your not willing to search around. I purchased that same collar about two years ago. I sold it to my brother just becuase I wanted the smaller transmitter in the dogtra collars. Other than that its a great e-collar and they do have very exellent service as mentioned by everyone else. But if your looking for a two dog setup I would definetly wait becuase eventually you will end up buying the two dog setup down the road. Good Luck!