Rick/Ronnie Smith Pups

CowboyBirdDogs

Rick/Ronnie Smith Pups

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:37 am

I'm seriously considering buying a Brittany pup from probably Rick Smith, if not Ronnie, within the next year. Any advice? Has anyone bought a pup from them? Just looking for some general information.

Thanks!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: Rick/Ronnie Smith Pups

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:41 am

Electric,

I have not owned a pup from either one, but have owned several whose roots were generated there. I would say that a dog from the Smith's is an extremely safe bet, a little like buying an appliance from a national chain v Scroom and Scram Automatic Dishwashers and Bailbonds of Wendover, Nevada. It's my opinion after a number of personal interactions with Rick, including training that I happily paid for that the Smith legacy is not built on a static result. Their view of dog training is based in understanding behavior and as they learn more, they use the basics and push for a cycle of continuous improvement. I think that is relevant in this sense; If they apply that understanding to the dogs they choose to breed with their extensive background and experience, I would suggest the quality can be trusted. They have a business built on reputation and purely from an intellectual sense it would seem foolish to risk it by producing poor pups.
I hope it works out and you get one.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking along those same lines myself. I've seen a fee descendants of their stuff and I've come away impressed. And Rick has always responded to my emails within the first 3 hours with very informative responses. Their whole operation seems like a top of the line class act.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:45 pm

I believe the majority of the breeding is being done at Big Cabin now, and Susanna Love is getting the information organized on the www.ronniesmithkennels.com site.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Tony Brown

Post by Tony Brown » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:39 pm

I have not met Ronnie but I've known Rick for 10+years. Rick KNOWS bird dogs.....he knows what he likes in disposition,looks, desire and drive and I think he breeds his pups to follow those traits. I personally have purchased 2 pups from Rick and could not be more satisfied. I even went back and bred the last to one of Rick's stud dogs and was pleased with the results. Bottom line......Rick is a standup guy and I don't think you could go wrong with his bloodline. If you want to know anymore just PM me.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:12 pm

So how much is a Smith pup?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:41 pm

2011 price was $800 at the kennel.

Dieseldog8

Post by Dieseldog8 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:11 pm

That really ain't that bad. Good dogs probably.

terrym

Post by terrym » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:18 am

Dieseldog8 wrote:That really ain't that bad. Good dogs probably.
Sounds reasonable.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:04 am

In November Rick emailed a pics of 3 Britt pups. Said he was taking one, Ronnie was taking one, and I could buy the 3rd for $700 and I could have my pick of the 3. I couldn't do it at the time and it still eats at me. He was judging a national Brittany trial in Ft. Smith, Arkansas and told me I could meet him there. I still have a pic of the pup I liked the most that Rick ended up keeping. If anybody wants to see it send me their email. I'm on my iPhone and can't upload it on here. I came away very impressed by his kindness and prompt responses.

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Used to run against Rick in the late '70's and "80's. (Well, I was on a horse running a dog at the same time). Since that time I've hunted with him once in deep south Texas, saw him at the Bird Dog Hall of Fame and most recently saw and spoke with him at the Pheasant Fest. If he has a pup and you want a Brittany, just buy it. Thats my opinion. As many of you know, he ran some really great dogs. As a matter of fact, when I went to Shorthairs from Brittanys', I called Rick for his advice. That was when he was operating a kennel and guiding in south Texas..Good luck...Sorry for all the bla, bla, bla

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:14 pm

I doubt there is any safer bet in bird dogs than the Smiths. Talk about legacy.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:28 pm

I know they are on the twenty-somethingth generation from their foundation. The addition of Shambo's Dark Shadow blood has giving them some gorgeous liver pups recently.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:53 am

As soon as I get my house I'll start preparing. Sure wish I could've gotten that pup in November. :?