GSP or Chessie?

BHC

GSP or Chessie?

Post by BHC » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 am

I am getting a new dog and need some advice.. I am considering German short haired pointer or a Chesapeake bay retriever. For my purposes and training skill level, he will need to be versatile and easily trainable. He will have to be house broken, as for hunting I am interested a good retriever, and a shed horn dog, maybe other things but those are the top two. I would also like him to be a good watch dog/ family dog.. Any advice?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP or Chessie?

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:30 am

I've had both.
It's been my experience that Chessies are more of a one person dog .
If you plan to hunt waterfowl late into the season get a Chessie. The GSP coat is not for very cold water.

My Dad and his Chessie "Brownie".
Last hunt before he went overseas .

Last edited by Sharon on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:18 pm

I sent you a PM. Might have what your looking for.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Sharon wrote:I've had both.
It's been my experience that Chessies are more of a one person dog .
If you plan to hunt waterfowl late into the season get a Chessie. The GSP coat is not for very cold water.

My Dad and his dog "Brownie".
Last hunt before he went overseas .

Nice picture, I am sure he gave it his all for his country.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 pm

We have two chessies and two GSP's. I would recommend a lab if you are looking for more of a family dog. Chessies are very one-person dogs and can be aggressive both with other dogs and with people. Either way you go - do a lot of research before you jump in. Look at the parents and ask a lot of questions. I would not recommend a chessie to an inexperienced trainer and I would not consider them very "trainable" at all. Lots of issues in the breed if you get a poorly bred one (though that can be the same with a poorly bred GSP too). If it was up to me, I wouldn't have chessies at all - they are hard headed and unpredictable - many more relinquished to rescue for biting than many breeds. Just do your research before you get a dog.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:50 am

Get a lab.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:09 am

Ditto the lab. The lab has all the qualities your looking for. It may not be an aggressive watch dog but they will let you know if anyone is around.

Dieseldog8

Post by Dieseldog8 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:24 am

Yea lab all the way. Taught mine last year to find sheds and loves it now. He's great with our 4 year old and barks whenever someone strange comes up. O and is an amazing duck dog just got his started title a month ago.

Susie

Post by Susie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:32 am

RoostersMom wrote:If it was up to me, I wouldn't have chessies at all - they are hard headed and unpredictable - many more relinquished to rescue for biting than many breeds. Just do your research before you get a dog.
Interesting observations. BTW rescue groups do not take dogs in with bite histories because of liability...this is also the policy with the American Chesapeake Rescue Network and Chesapeake Bay Retriever Relief and Rescue.

Susie

Post by Susie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:06 pm

BHC wrote:I am getting a new dog and need some advice.. I am considering German short haired pointer or a Chesapeake bay retriever. For my purposes and training skill level, he will need to be versatile and easily trainable. He will have to be house broken, as for hunting I am interested a good retriever, and a shed horn dog, maybe other things but those are the top two. I would also like him to be a good watch dog/ family dog.. Any advice?
The American Chesapeake Club has some good stuff on their site:

http://www.amchessieclub.org/

I suggest joining Team Chesapeake if your wanting to educate yourself about the breed. Combined, the members here have hundreds of years of breed experience and like our dogs nothing is ever sugar coated:

http://teamchesapeake.infopop.cc/groupee/forums

This is mandatory reading if anyone contacts me about a CBR rescue or one of our pups if they have never owned a CBR before. 80% of the time I never hear back from them LOL

http://www.cbrrescue.org/articles/dontbuy.htm

Another great article by Butch Goodwin explaining the difference between Labs and CBRs:

http://www.northernflight.com/not%20thesamedog.htm

Good luck on your search!

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Where are you located? This will answer the question in many regards as a mild climate much better suited for the GSP waterdog while the Chessie is much better equipped to handle the cold. I love the shorthair for retriever purposes and dodge the "get a lab" phrase and could not be happier with my choice. I would not have even considered the breed, however, if i were planning to force him into frigid waters. Just seems like a mean thing to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:16 pm

If you decide on a Chessie, I know a good breeder that has chessie's with temperments to die for and good with kids. Checkout www.spinnakerridgecbrs.com
We personally know Ruger and Zilla. I swear they think they are labs, love kids, and are hunting fools. Zilla also does dock diving and just got a leg towards his lure coursing title.

Carla

Fair Fields

Post by Fair Fields » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:40 pm

I have 2 hunting parnters with Chessies. When it comes to cold weather, tough conditions and late season Ohio waterfowling they are awesome. However, easy to train they are not. The ones I have been around have been hard headed.

BHC

Post by BHC » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:05 pm

I am located in northern Al

BHC

Post by BHC » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:09 pm

I think I'm leaning toward GSP'S, I have found a good breeder about 30 min away with a litter due around 1st of June... During first six months what training should I focus on?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 pm

socialization - other dogs, cats, kids, people of other color, motorcycles, etc....

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=na ... ll0&aqi=s1
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:27 pm

GWP

................... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:22 am

You are in a good location for the dog to do all that he is capable of doing. Lots of good farmland for quail hunting up there too. I am in south Alabama, my biggest worries here are the alligators. Be sure to take your time on water intro and know that the exercise demands of the GSP are greater than some can handle if you plan on him being an inside dog.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:07 am

We have been to Town Creek, Al. in Feb. forthe last several years for our National Finals. It is usually alot nicer weather down there that time of year than it is up here.