Working the pup.

markj
GDF Junkie

Working the pup.

Post by markj » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:30 am

Got some more quail and the pup I have did a great job. Shot 4 over her, she never flinched, found every one, she even tore across the field, hit the bank, flipped over 4 feet up, came up quail in mouth. Wow, what a great dog.
foundQuail.JPG
treedQuail.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Dieseldog8

Re: Working the pup.

Post by Dieseldog8 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:27 am

Love the black great looking pup!

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:35 am

Not black...dark liver.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:56 pm

I like that pic with the bird in the tree. How did ya get the bird to stay there?

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Wasnt my choice. He stuck and wouldnt budge. So I nailed him there in a head shot she got him on the fall. First was one released in a soft toss like bowling by my son bird flew and went up I shot it she found it but wouldonly point it I had to pick up that bird. Next one was planted 70 yards out, let her go, she worked it went on point, I flushed it and shot it. She did pick it up but by the legs. My wife was with us and she was impressed at her nose. She worked towards the bird and locked up on a point till I kicked it up. Let 4 fly andshot 4 down. I got my eye lenses replaced andcan see like I did at 25. Used a 410 double that is Oscars. :)
Guy owns Pheasant Haven wantsme to do some guides next year and somewildbird hunts with some of the landowners around Elk City I lived there as a kid just a mile from there. We used to swim in the lake theere andstay over nite etc. Sure was a fun day. Pup sure is a good one. I couldnt be happier. Guy get the quail from invited me to hunt his land next year too. :) Everyonesees this pup loves her. She sleeps in thebed with the wife... Never hadher like any of my dogsbefore. She sure spends time with her. Hope I dont ruin her for the FT stuff doing thistype of bird work and shooting over her, the shot doesnt even bother her. It is as if she knows it brings the bird down. These birds are flying like 200 yards too.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Nice! I don't think shooting birds hurts for field trials. I probably let my dog break on the shot for over 400 birds before she was broke out SWSF.. As long as they don't catch them until you shoot you should be good. If your guiding have the people walk forward, watch your dog, correct the dog if needed and only let it retrieve on command. Will make trials a lot easier.