Braque du Bourbonnais

chiendog

Braque du Bourbonnais

Post by chiendog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:04 am

Dog breeds come and go. Some take centuries to develop and others are created almost overnight. Some slowly fade away and others disappear in the blink of an eye. For a very few breeds, there can even be a sort of resurrection. The Braque du Bourbonnais is one such breed. There are references to it as far back as the 16th century, but it had disappeared by the 1960s. Today, thanks to the efforts of a group of breeders led by a man of vision, it has returned. More here: http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.com/2012....is.html

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Braque du Bourbonnais

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:10 am

I met several Braques at Pheasant Fest and am looking forward to seeing the breed again this February in Kansas City! Neat dogs.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:31 am

Interesting stuff! Looks like a nice breed. What is their disposition like? I like the broad chest on the one in the pictures on the link...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:49 am

Every Braque du Bourbonnais I've met was a pretty zippy, fun-loving sweetheart of a dog. They are typically French though, which means they tend toward the softer side. You would not want to train one the same way you'd train a Draht or GSP or other breed that can handle a bit more pressure. They are probably best suited to the hunter that just wants an "out of the box" kind of dog with a ton of natural point, run and hunt in em from the get go.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:53 am

I have a friend who has B'D B's. He recently moved to Newfoundland. His dog is enjoying all the ptarmigans. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nldd

Post by nldd » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:23 am

sharon, i think i know where he"s at,hope to meet him and his dogs in the future.Those Braque du bourbonnais maybe the first of their breed in this province.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:40 pm

We are lucky that Shari of Rufnit Kennels, http://www.rufnitkennels.com/, is in our NAVHDA Chapter so I have been around the breed for over 10 years. I have even been hunting with Shari & a couple of her dogs a few years ago. Of course they were not as good as our GSP's :wink: I know Shari would be happy to answer any questions.

newfieBdB

Post by newfieBdB » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:03 pm

I live in Newfoundland, and have a BdB coming in the spring...can't wait. Anyone from Newfoundland have any tips on these dogs? They have a short coat so I am worried about the colder temperatures.