Rant

skeetermc

Rant

Post by skeetermc » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:16 pm

Ok, so I was out on a hunt this weekend with several groups of guys. One guy had a a red lab that from the minute he hit the ground he was spoiling for a fight. After know provacation he jumped on another hunters GSP. We broke them up. The owner of the Lab never apologized or offered to put the dog up. We all loaded our dogs into the boxes and went to the next field. Upon unloading the red lab jumped on another GSP. Again the guy never offered anything to improve the situation.

I just want to say that if you have an aggresive dog and you cant controle the animal. Keep the animal at home to guard your house.

brad27

Re: Rant

Post by brad27 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:19 pm

After seeing what happened in the first field I wouldn't have hunted with them in the second field if that dog was down.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:23 pm

brad27 wrote:After seeing what happened in the first field I wouldn't have hunted with them in the second field if that dog was down.

+1 and maybe break up the dogs up by pitting my foot across the aggressive dogs face.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:41 pm

The first fight was unexpected, the second entirely the fault of every dog owner there. Why on earth would you put dogs down a second time with that mutt?
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:10 pm

He**fire should have rained down on that dog after the first encounter. Putting that dog on the ground again with another dog just wasn't a good idea.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

MTJoe

Post by MTJoe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:The first fight was unexpected, the second entirely the fault of every dog owner there. Why on earth would you put dogs down a second time with that mutt?
+1

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:21 pm

So nobody said anything to this guy? They just continued to hunt with him? Ummm....not gonna happen with my dogs on the ground! I don't hunt with people who are lax with gun safety and I don't hunt with aggressive dogs (at least mine would stay in the box if he wouldn't put his in the box). Maybe it happens once, but it surely wouldn't happen a second time. When it comes to safety, people ought to speak out instead of letting things go.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:51 pm

I saw another dog muzzled in a place where I was training. I didn't think much of it and assumed the owner would move on down the lake
Not to be . I was checking out my dog's foot and that dog ran and hit both of us flat. So aggressive that even with a muzzle it wanted to attack. I had a few "suggestions' for the owner. She said, ' He's much better after a swim." Some folks can't bring themselves to believe that their dog has a serious problem. Sad.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Dog hits me muzzle or not its gonna be the last day it breathes....

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:21 pm

ultracarry wrote:Dog hits me muzzle or not its gonna be the last day it breathes....
Sounds impressive but I can hear the rant if someone did that to your dog. There is such a thing as common sense and everyone needs a little.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:29 am

Cajun Casey wrote:The first fight was unexpected, the second entirely the fault of every dog owner there. Why on earth would you put dogs down a second time with that mutt?
+2. I don't understand why the rest of the hunters didn't tell the guy to keep him mutt kenneled or go home.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Wired

Post by Wired » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:11 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
+2. I don't understand why the rest of the hunters didn't tell the guy to keep him mutt kenneled or go home.
This guy must have been the pack leader and the rest were scared to say something :wink: I hunt with a friend who has a male which is aggressive to other male dogs. We discuss which dogs we would like to run and when his male is on the ground it is always with one or two of my females. Works for us.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 am

ezzy333 wrote:
ultracarry wrote:Dog hits me muzzle or not its gonna be the last day it breathes....
Sounds impressive but I can hear the rant if someone did that to your dog. There is such a thing as common sense and everyone needs a little.

Ezzy
I believe the people I run my dog with would not put an aggressive dog in the ground especially with other dogs down. Common sense does go a long way and an owner should put the dog down before someone gets hurt. There is a huge difference between a dog that barks and acts mean and one that's truly aggressive.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:11 pm

LOL This reminds me of the conversations I have with the guys in jail --- just kidding. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Exactly.

Putting that dog down again was asking for a problem.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Wired wrote:
[b]gonehuntin[/b]' wrote:
This guy must have been the pack leader and the rest were scared to say something :wink: I hunt with a friend who has a male which is aggressive to other male dogs. We discuss which dogs we would like to run and when his male is on the ground it is always with one or two of my females. Works for us.

Too funny but oh so true in life.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Had this happen t ome once, I had my young nephew along this guy picks up his 1 year old setter pup and body slammed it on the ground cause it was locked up on a bird and didnt come when he called it.

We went our own way, just the two of us. Was the way we hunted after that.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:00 pm

That guy prob went home and told his buddies his dog whipped the other dogs asses, with his chest stuck out :roll:
brenda

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:23 pm

markj wrote:Had this happen t ome once, I had my young nephew along this guy picks up his 1 year old setter pup and body slammed it on the ground cause it was locked up on a bird and didnt come when he called it.

We went our own way, just the two of us. Was the way we hunted after that.
I don't see the similarity in the two situations...

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:38 pm

don't see the similarity in the two situations...
Both dogs had bad handlers, which led to an unpleasant hunting exp.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:43 pm

markj wrote:
don't see the similarity in the two situations...
Both dogs had bad handlers, which led to an unpleasant hunting exp.
:mrgreen:

I was completely looking at the dogs... I'm smart like that sometimes.

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Always thought there were two kinds of "attitudes" a dog could have. When a dog is controllable, puts on the strut and attitude but knocks it off when I call or correct the dog...that's tolerable but will continue to be a management problem.
The dog that goes for broke and will not respond is not a dog I want to keep and can't really be sold/placed responsibly in today's litigious society. A meeting with Mr. Winchester is sadly the best resolution.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:17 pm

No tollerance for mean dogs. No one needs to put all that time and money into a hunting dog, to have it torn up halfway through the season by some aggressive dog.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:42 pm

IMO the owner of the agressive dog is more to blame then the dog
Yep. He shoulda been whupped. If his dog got after mine I sure woulda had a fine word or two on the dogs training or lack thereof.

Dog needs to be socialized, something many folks dont understand. Dogs need to be aware that other dogs are out there but are not a threat to him.

Gee, now I sound like that sicko dog whisperer idiot.....
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:00 pm

He drives me crazy too. Why is that?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:18 pm

snips wrote:That guy prob went home and told his buddies his dog whipped the other dogs asses, with his chest stuck out :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I bet that is not far off Brenda.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:39 pm

markj wrote:
IMO the owner of the agressive dog is more to blame then the dog
Yep. He shoulda been whupped. If his dog got after mine I sure woulda had a fine word or two on the dogs training or lack thereof.

Dog needs to be socialized, something many folks dont understand. Dogs need to be aware that other dogs are out there but are not a threat to him.

Gee, now I sound like that sicko dog whisperer idiot.....
Socialization does nothing for an offensive aggressive dog except reinforce his or her behavior. Most owners are not sharp enough to see the cues between dogs and when an aggressive dog offers a threatening gesture or expression and the target dog backs down, the damage is done before a correction can be made.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Wired

Post by Wired » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Cajun Casey wrote: Socialization does nothing for an offensive aggressive dog except reinforce his or her behavior. Most owners are not sharp enough to see the cues between dogs and when an aggressive dog offers a threatening gesture or expression and the target dog backs down, the damage is done before a correction can be made.
I could not agree more. The aggressive dog should be dealt with well before they start T-boning another dog.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:31 pm

Unfortunately, the lack of standing up to this guy will probably result in another dog attacked and possibly a hurt dog. It is your responsibility as an owner to take care of this. It sucks but any one of you should have stepped up and said something. I would not have made the same mistake twice. I would not hunt with this guy again nor would I have a problem explaining why.

JM2C,

Joe

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 pm

If I was there my dog would have not gotten out of the box in the second field! I may not be able to control the other hunter and his dog but I can at least keep mine safe. Not to mention I wouldn't have my pionting dog down on the ground with a lab anyway unless the lab was just retrieving birds and in complete control.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Not only would my dog not have gotten out of the box at the second field, I can guarantee you I would not have gone to the second field. I have bird dogs and bird hunt because I enjoy it. If I wanted to deal with a** holes Id go with my wife to horse shows.....

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.