Need help selecting first gun dog

Wally_50_50

Need help selecting first gun dog

Post by Wally_50_50 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm new to this forum and new to pheasant hunting as well but I would love to get a bird dog. I have never had one before and I need some help selecting the best dog breed for me. I will be living in an apartment for the next few years because I am newly married so whichever breed I choose will need to do well in this type of setting. I would like to know 1) whether a retriever, flusher, or pointer would be the easiest type of dog for a beginner to train and 2) what breeds would do well in an apartment setting but are still great bird dogs. I know that this question will result in a variety of opinions but any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Need help selecting first gun dog

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Brittany.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Wally_50_50 wrote:I'm new to this forum and new to pheasant hunting as well but I would love to get a bird dog. I have never had one before and I need some help selecting the best dog breed for me. I will be living in an apartment for the next few years because I am newly married so whichever breed I choose will need to do well in this type of setting. I would like to know 1) whether a retriever, flusher, or pointer would be the easiest type of dog for a beginner to train and 2) what breeds would do well in an apartment setting but are still great bird dogs. I know that this question will result in a variety of opinions but any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
One of three wirehaird's, typically they are very settled inside, but still need a very good romp once a day. Also a traditional English Setter would probably would do ok.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Does your lease have a size/weight restriction?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:30 pm

I would say for aq beginner hunting phez, then a flusher would probly be your best bet. Personally I would recomend a lab or a springer.
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Flushers will be easier to get trained to a level you can go hunting with, Pointing dogs aren't labor intensive training wise just a little more tricky. It really depends what you want to do and where you want to do it.

A started dog is a good bet for a newbie, dog teaches you, old enough to get right in the house without going thru all the puppy nonsense.....and believe there will be no loss of bonding buying a started dog, they will bond with you just like a pup.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:47 pm

I think hunting pheasant behind a flushing dog is a blast. I've done it with both labs and goldens, but with such common breeds like that making sure they come from hunting lines is a must.

goalie805

Post by goalie805 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Springers are great family and hunting dogs, eager to please (in general) and smart

goalie805

Post by goalie805 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:25 pm

If you go springer make sure you get a field bred line and not show line, basically two different breeds

Wally_50_50

Post by Wally_50_50 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:05 am

Thank you, I am leaning more towards a flushing breed such as lab or golden, but a brittany or springer seam to be good choices too. I like the idea of a started dog as well. I live in southern Minnesota, so whichever breed I choose will need to be able to handle the habitat and the cold weather. How old is a started dog typically and would you be able to start hunting with the dog that year?

goalie805

Post by goalie805 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:30 am

Never used a started dog before, not hard to train a flushing dog, main thing is to get them used to the gun the right way and teach them to stay close. Lots of info online on training. The springer is a flushing breed to btw.

whoa on 'em

Post by whoa on 'em » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:31 am

Wally_50_50 wrote:I like the idea of a started dog as well. How old is a started dog typically and would you be able to start hunting with the dog that year?
I got my first pointer puppy as a teenager. I didn't have a clue how to train a dog (still don't :lol: ) or the resources to do so. The dog never did make and it was no fault of her own. My second pointer was a three year old I bought off of a preserve. I learned more from that "started" dog than any book or video. If I had it all to do over again I would have bought a started dog for my first dog, would have saved a lot of frustration, time, and money.

The worst injustice you can do is not giving a dog the opportunity to reach their potential. I have been guilty of that and it's not a good feeling.

Just my two cents.
Happiness is a warm gun.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:47 am

I love my pointer. She is a great in house dog. She splits between the house and the Kennel outside and she does very well. She is eight mos old. I had her out two weeks ago on phez and she pointed three. I shot one. The others were completely my fault not hers. I have been in contact with a guy who has two he needs to get rid of. He has a male and a female that are both broke steady to wing and shot. They are two years old I believe. These are short running pointers so would be good for Phez. I believe they stay in around 100 to 200 yards. In the bird field they will tighten up more. They are both FDSB registered. This would be a great starter dog. not much work needed. Field ready.

Last I heard he was willing to make a deal to make room in the kennel. If your interested PM me and I can give you his info.

No matter the dog you choose, make sure that the dog fits the style you want. Flushers are nice been behind some great ones, but I love to watch a dog point and hold. I like to know some what when the bird is flying. It is much easier on the youth hunters that I work with throughout the year also. Don't let someone talk you into a dog that is not right for you, but don't limit yourself to just phez either. You can ask anyone on here, they originally started out doing one thing, but this drug will take you over completely. It is addictive and you will want more as time goes on.

Good luck,

Joe

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:47 am

I'd go with flusher too. I've had Springer's and loved them but you might look at the Boykin also. Labs are big and shed horribly and there are very few Goldens seen in the field, probably a reason for that.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:54 am

Wally_50_50 wrote:Thank you, I am leaning more towards a flushing breed such as lab or golden, but a brittany or springer seam to be good choices too. I like the idea of a started dog as well. I live in southern Minnesota, so whichever breed I choose will need to be able to handle the habitat and the cold weather. How old is a started dog typically and would you be able to start hunting with the dog that year?
I live in MN also, had labs in the past, now own a springer both are equally good flushing dogs, a lab is going to be a better duck dog. The nice thing about labs is you will never have to brush/cut burrs off them, because nothing sticks to them, goldens it will be a full time job and springers require it however there coats very a lot. My labs have shed more than my springer. Their are two types of springer as mentioned field and show lines, never by a show bred springer, and check the pedigree to look for show titles. A springer is a flushing dog, brittney is a pointing dog. The definition of a started dog varies greatly, some believe feeding a dog for 6th months makes it started, so ask what they call a started dog then watch the dog being handled to see if they do what they say they can do. Labs are healthy dogs as long as you get one with all the health clearances, if you decide on getting a Lab let us know and we will explain what clearances you need. I don't see any upside of going with a golden, the lab (on average) is going to be easier to train, a better hunter, a require 1/100 of the grooming the golden does IMO.

Wally_50_50

Post by Wally_50_50 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:17 am

Thank you for your help. I think that I've settled on a lab. I've always loved their personality and determination. What are the clearances that I will need to look for? Can you suggest some good breeders and trainers around MN? and what are some good videos/books to learn about training? Thanks again.

amiller

Post by amiller » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:19 pm

I have a Lab and a Brittany. My Lab is 95 lbs, a bit big for an apartment if you ask me. My Brit is 45 lbs and sheds less than the lab. As far as training, my lab was harder to train for pheasant where my brittany took to birds quickly and pointed right away. My Brittany is of the Maverick line which seems to produce some great hard-hunting dogs. I live in southeast Wisconsin and have had no problems with the cold with either dog and they are outside all day. I'd recommend talking to a Brittany club for training advice, GMBC taught me alot... long story short, I'd recommend a Brittany for a smaller, hard-hunting, easy to train bird dog.