dog work

elkhuntingfool

dog work

Post by elkhuntingfool » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Took zeke out today and did some easy work - let him run for a bit and then worked him on heel and come. I can say over the past week there has been some great improvement on his end. I had him on a leash and walked the exercise area a few times, then off the leash for heel and come, and he did fine. A few times he got a little a head of me, but an instant heel and he was back next to me. I'd let him run for a bit - issue the come command and he'd heel right next to me. We did that for about 20 minutes.

My only concern and maybe it's because he wants to bolt is that when he is by my side he is walking but has his head turned towards me. Is this because of age or am I just that good looking that he can't take his eyes off me :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: dog work

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:40 pm

That's a good thing. He's keeping an eye on you for more signals/cues , particularly the one that sends him out.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:44 pm

Sounds good, take a few pigeons with you, one of the times he's checking in or you call him around throw up a stop sign and whoa and drop a pigeon beind your leg like you walked it up, he'll think your a "GOD" then :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:45 am

Don't look for a problem where none exist's! Looking at you he's paying good attention to you.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

elkhuntingfool

Post by elkhuntingfool » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:16 pm

DonF wrote:Don't look for a problem where none exist's! Looking at you he's paying good attention to you.
Glad he's paying good attention to me - love watching him run but also enjoy watching him follow my directions as well - makes life easier for me.