FT road trips?

jimbo&rooster

FT road trips?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:39 am

So i have been looking at the AKC Events listings off and on over the last couple of years mostly looking at HT listings but also I keep track of where the FTs in my area are. I use the term area loosely. It seems like the closest FTs to me are roughly 3-4hrs away. My plan is to go and watch a few this fall and hopefully ride in the gallery and get a feel for what im about to be getting into.

How far do most of ya'll drive to play dog games?

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: FT road trips?

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:08 am

My FT excursions vary. Some are to a local trial area 20 minutes away and some are seven hours down the road. Seven to ten hours is about s far as I want to go hauling horses nd dogs. Most of the non - local field trials I attend are between 2 - 4 hours distant. I am fortunate to have several field trial venues between 100 and 200 miles from my home. Most are half hour horseback venues, but that is OK by me.

RayG

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:13 am

I live in Nebraska and i've been to Michigan, Arkansas(many times), Oklahoma, Kansas, Mizzou, Iowa, North Dakota, Illinois, Tenn. This next season id like to add Alabama and Montana to the list.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:16 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:So i have been looking at the AKC Events listings off and on over the last couple of years mostly looking at HT listings but also I keep track of where the FTs in my area are. I use the term area loosely. It seems like the closest FTs to me are roughly 3-4hrs away. My plan is to go and watch a few this fall and hopefully ride in the gallery and get a feel for what im about to be getting into.

How far do most of ya'll drive to play dog games?

Jim
I don't trial much, but I belong to NLGDC and NSTRA. I know NSTRA has several trials in the west central part of Illinois.

By the way, I bought my Llewellin from Jim YerYar in Midland.
big steve

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:09 pm

We live in NE PA. We trial in NJ, NY, PA, CT, DE and MD....that keeps us in about a 4 hour radius of our home. Anything farther than that...or grounds we haven't been to before, we try to take some time off on Friday so we can travel and arrive in the daylight.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:13 pm

We live in NE PA. We trial in NJ, NY, PA, CT, DE and MD....that keeps us in about a 4 hour radius of our home. Anything farther than that...or grounds we haven't been to before, we try to take some time off on Friday so we can travel and arrive in the daylight.
Ditto!
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:26 pm

I try to keep my trialing within an 8 hr drive.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:30 pm

13 hours is the farthest I went for a weekend trial - left Fri. after work and was at work on Mon. morning. Ran 6 braces of dogs in between. Normal distances are 3 to 8 hours.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:45 pm

furthest i've been is 7 hours. most of the local ones are 2-4 hours away. i've only been to 4 trials.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Most of my trials are 4 to 6 hours away , a few are 1 1/2 . Not every season but sometimes I travel to trials 8 to 12 hours and of course the nationals are 24 hours ( 20 hours driving and 4 hours sleep ) .

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:33 pm

From No Ca...I go to Oregon, Idaho, So Ca., Nevada and AZ....up to 12 hours away

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:58 pm

The farthest I have been is to Cheyenne, Wy.......about 17 hours from Dallas....without pulling a trailer. Second longest is Dallas to Freer, TX......about 10 hours pulling a trailer with horses, only about seven and one-half without the trailer and horses

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Chukar12 wrote:From No Ca...I go to Oregon, Idaho, So Ca., Nevada and AZ....up to 12 hours away
If you wanted to your trial season would never end... maybe take a month and a half off then go again. I guess your starting off the year in OR?

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:35 am

My local trial grounds are about 30 minutes away. But have gone to Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, and Michigan. Planning a North Dakota trial this fall, Montana next fall, and maybe a trip to Arkansas in February of 2013.

raven34

Post by raven34 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:22 am

The furthest trial so far pulling horses and trailer 10 hours.....Most have been 2-5 hours away.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Hope you guys realize how lucky you are to have the time...

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:57 pm

It aint easy Coop that's for sure. The first HB trial this fall, I will get off work at 3-5 pm depending on circumstances. Drive 45 minutes home, and while I will be largely prepared take an hour or so and load dogs and horses, drive 487 miles overnight...run dogs Staurday, Sunday and Monday morning (Labor Day) then drive home unload and go to work on Tuesday...sometimes when I am not booked I take a vacation day on either end and it is easier.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Chukar12 wrote:It aint easy Coop that's for sure. The first HB trial this fall, I will get off work at 3-5 pm depending on circumstances. Drive 45 minutes home, and while I will be largely prepared take an hour or so and load dogs and horses, drive 487 miles overnight...run dogs Staurday, Sunday and Monday morning (Labor Day) then drive home unload and go to work on Tuesday...sometimes when I am not booked I take a vacation day on either end and it is easier.

I understand there is still sacrifice, unfortunately I am only home on average 5 days a month from Feb-Oct, the other months I am hunting. The chance of trials landing on my days of are slim, and even then I could not expect much from my dog only being home five days a month, that's where a pro comes in for me.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:00 pm

..and when I was traveling across states for work the last thing I wanted to do on my time off was go somewhere

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:51 pm

ACooper wrote:Hope you guys realize how lucky you are to have the time...
When I first read this I was like, he's right. But like the next guy said sometimes its a quick trip. Then I read you're to busy hunting. I was in the same boat. I just went with trialing more than hunting. We are all lucky whether its hunting or trialing.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:57 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:
ACooper wrote:Hope you guys realize how lucky you are to have the time...
When I first read this I was like, he's right. But like the next guy said sometimes its a quick trip. Then I read you're to busy hunting. I was in the same boat. I just went with trialing more than hunting. We are all lucky whether its hunting or trialing.
I agree we are lucky either way, I won't be traveling this much forever, so there will be time for both.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Live in NE PA and used to stay mostly in the eastern states. But have trialed in Ohio, MI, IA, NE, FL,IL, IN, AZ, CA, WA, OR. Most of the west coast trials I've flown to, but have driven cross country once for our National events.

Used to drive the motorhome and drag trailer and horse, now tow a car and leave the horse in the midwest. It is nice to have the time to be able to do this.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:41 am

I live in GA and my pup is on the road with a Pro. Ive driven to GA, AL, TN, VA, and NC to watch her run. Ive flown to OH and IA . This year Im hoping to catch a trial in Missouri that I will probably fly to. Luckily for me, its cheaper to fly then it is drive, so the trials that are a long ways away aren't a huge deal.