The Biscuit Eater?

Onk

The Biscuit Eater?

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:19 pm

This movie came up in another post and I was just kind of wondering how many remember the old Disney movie "The Biscuit Eater". I had forgot all about this movie and if I remember right it has to do with hunting and field trials of sorts. I'm sure it will just be us OLD guys that remember this show!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: The Biscuit Eater?

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:23 pm

The Disney version was horrible. The original is pretty lame, but stayed true to the original book. It's on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9pG4TXj_6I
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:The Disney version was horrible. The original is pretty lame, but stayed true to the original book. It's on YouTube.

Of course it was horrible Casey, most early Disney films were! :lol: Did'nt know there were two of them, will check that out!

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Onk wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:The Disney version was horrible. The original is pretty lame, but stayed true to the original book. It's on YouTube.

Of course it was horrible Casey, most early Disney films were! :lol: Did'nt know there were two of them, will check that out!
What? I love Dean Jones and Kurt Russell!

Enjoy.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:18 am

Take away the dog, especially on the fence, and either edition of the Biscuit Eater is not the best.
Problem being there are so few films of that type re a birddog.

Better time spent would be watching old American Sportsman videos with Bing & Phil.

Onk

Post by Onk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:39 am

I wonder if the question of a dog being a "egg sucker" has ever come up on this forum?

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Onk wrote:I wonder if the question of a dog being a "egg sucker" has ever come up on this forum?

Don't believe many Folks have chickens any more I remember my grandpa giving a few farm dogs Lead injections cause they went from egg suckers to chicken killers

Slaeghunder

Post by Slaeghunder » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm

I've got Chickens - my dog will eat them if he gets loose. Not right in front of you, mind you, you can let him out if you're there and he ignores them completely - but if you're not around their chances of survival are pretty slim. It's not really a problem because at night I lock the coop up and let the dog out of his kennel so he can be on Coon patrol. I forgot to the other night and something killed my hens. The rooster can fly so he got out alive but the girls got mutilated. I live trapped a coon the next night (Marshmallows are the most magnificent Coon bait in the universe) and relocated him down to the river.

That said, I never head of an "egg sucker".

Onk

Post by Onk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Slaeg an "ole egg sucker" is what the dog was called in the movie!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:50 pm

I love the movie...its a great story and the few not so great shots of the dogs don't make or break the movie....That said who would watch the remake ??? after all its a poodlepointer in it isn't it :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Onk

Post by Onk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:08 pm

I could'nt remember if it was a setter or a WH....mind is drawing a blank. Could have been a PP?!Who knows!

Onk

Post by Onk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:13 pm

http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/the-biscuit-eater.html

Here go take a look and then tell me.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:18 pm

lol I love the origional! I'm a big fan of "Ole Georgia Boy" although I know that he wasnt the star! Hey Im a setter guy! I love it because it gives me a nostalgic image to put with the tales of great bird dogs my grandfather would tell me as a child.

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:31 pm

I still have a copy on VHS of the original, guess I better get it put on a DVD before it wears out.
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:08 pm

Onk wrote:I could'nt remember if it was a setter or a WH....mind is drawing a blank. Could have been a PP?!Who knows!
It was a pudelpointer in the 1972 remake.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 pm

I can't believe a bird dog person would dislike either version, but especially the original! It's a classic!!!!! It is so NOT PC... reminds one a bit of the old Our Gang series. Never could be made today.

The scenes from the trial are just so cool to see.. remember this was made probably in the 40's????? Back when handlers wore coats and ties to run the dogs. Pretty neat.

There are photos in the clubhouse of the English Setter Club in Medford NJ of handlers from that era, all duded up and dressed to the nines.

I remember being a kid and see the Disney version.. maybe it's why I got into Wirehairs.
Have copies of both, and both can be had on the net... just gotta do some searching. The Disney is easy to get.. the original not so easy.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:42 pm

gittrdonebritts wrote:
Onk wrote:I wonder if the question of a dog being a "egg sucker" has ever come up on this forum?

Don't believe many Folks have chickens any more I remember my grandpa giving a few farm dogs Lead injections cause they went from egg suckers to chicken killers
My grandpa gave a lethal dose of lead for doing either one.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:57 pm

I have 2 toad lickers.Does that count?
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:36 am

Munster I think toad lickers might be a step above egg suckers on the dog scales?! Fuzz I have never seen the 1940 Biscuit Eater only the 72 Disney one. Will have to see if I can find the 40 one and watch it.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:09 am

I remember an old Black & White movie maybe from the 1930's ? I can't remember if it were a english pointer or a setter ? I remember the kid calling the dog a biscuit eater . I can't remember why ? I also remember the dog got shot off a fence and then there was a picture at the very end of a moma dog with her pup's. Obviously the dad was the dog shot off the fence.
I also don't know if the name of the movie was The biscuit eater? If anyone does know the name please post it.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:57 am

The first Movie was 1940.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:43 am

I really liked the movie, watched it on youtube a few months ago - it was cool. Not PC - but cool nonetheless. I did hate the ending, but I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

Loved the footage of the trials - you just don't get to see that too often.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:49 am

What was not "PC"? I'm confused......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:33 am

I posted a link above to the 1940 version on YouTube.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Max- that's the one. It was BW with pointers and setters and depicted the National Championship at a southern plantation... I don't think they called it Ames, but that is (knowing what I know now) where it supposed to be. The handlers all walked, but the gallery was on horseback if I remember correctly. Birds were shot, dogs pointed (not a 12:00 tail in site), the dogs in the movies weren't totally steady, but you got the over all picture. A gentlemens sport for sure.
Promise is the dog.....cool name for a dog.

The owners of the dogs had them with trainers... they were wealthy men who drove big fancy cars and lived in the big cities.

Not PC..... well, the kennel help, trainers and scouts were all black men in those days. One of the main characters is a black child.... the language, the rolling eyes, just the mannerisms would never be acceptable today. But I would guess it may have been very true in those days or at least it was the perception of how it was.

The Disney version was probably made in the late 50's? Typical Disney, but still a good dog movie that will make you break out the hanky at the end. Think Old Yeller!

Anyone ever see Bristle Face? Another one about a GWP, or PP. And then, Big Red!!! Geeezzz the memories of Sunday nights and the Wonderful World of Disney! And I wonder why I am in the dog game today... I don't remember the details of most other Disney flicks!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:48 pm

72 was the Disney one Fuzz.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:50 pm

I liked the original one (that's the only one I'v been able to watch). It was silly at times but still entertaining to me and the dogs were broke.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:09 pm

I started with bird dogs in 1997 . The last time I saw the movie was before that. I would love to see it now .
One memory of the movie was the kid crying and calling the dog " a biscuit eater" not realizing at the time that a biscuit was slang for a chicken. The scene reminded me of the movie The Champ. another old one. I think thats how they caught the audience back then. Good flicks !

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Max2 wrote:I started with bird dogs in 1997 . The last time I saw the movie was before that. I would love to see it now .
One memory of the movie was the kid crying and calling the dog " a biscuit eater" not realizing at the time that a biscuit was slang for a chicken. The scene reminded me of the movie The Champ. another old one. I think thats how they caught the audience back then. Good flicks !
"The Champ" I cried like a baby. :oops:

Charlie

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:25 am

I am going to try & help stimulate the economy !
I googled it and found it and also purchased it at this web-site.

http://www.lovingtheclassics.com/The-Bi ... d_310.html

See that finding this forum has got me spending money !

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:26 am

birddogger wrote:"The Champ" I cried like a baby.
Big Sissy :P .

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:54 am

I saw the original a few weeks ago. I thought it was a good story about a boy and his dog but it was lackingin entertainment value. I have not seen the Disney version.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:37 am

Ron R wrote:
When the Champ came out in the 70's with Jon Voight I Do believe kleenex tissue was the stock to own :D

Champ...Champ... I can still hear the kid. :D

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:06 pm

Max2 wrote:
Ron R wrote:
When the Champ came out in the 70's with Jon Voight I Do believe kleenex tissue was the stock to own :D

Champ...Champ... I can still hear the kid. :D
It was the original that I was speaking of...an old old old black and white movie.

Charlie

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Both of the movies versions . old & newer
The old one was the one I mentioned in the previous thread. The reason I mentioned the new one was because I felt perhaps only a couple ole timers like you and I would have known the original. :D

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Max2 wrote:Both of the movies versions . old & newer
The old one was the one I mentioned in the previous thread. The reason I mentioned the new one was because I felt perhaps only a couple ole timers like you and I would have known the original. :D
You are right and they are both tear jerkers. :cry:

Charlie

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:34 pm

GAWD you bunch of saps....next thing you know your going to tell me you cried when Ole Yeller got it! :cry:

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:37 pm

Fuzz[/quote]Think Old Yeller!

I guess I was late but on the money!

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:35 am

There were two versions of the champ?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Ron R wrote:
There were two versions of the champ?
Yes, but you kids wouldn't know about the original. 8)

Charlie