need help!!!

cullenwruth

need help!!!

Post by cullenwruth » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:08 pm

so i have decided to get a brittany. Ive found a breeder that has puppies available. The breeder offers puppy program for dogs 6-12 months fot $700 a month in preperation for formal training that is $800 a month for three months. If you do the math, to me, theses prices seem insane. Are all trainers THAT expensive? If so, should i get all of the things i need to train myself?

gittrdonebritts

Re: need help!!!

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:26 pm

PM Sent

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:27 pm

cullenwruth wrote:Are all trainers THAT expensive?

No, but i do believe you get what you pay for. Those prices are NOT that far off. Do your comparison homework...don't go on price alone!
cullenwruth wrote:If so, should i get all of the things i need to train myself?
Let's see...collars, birds, launchers, backing dummy, birds, 4 wheeler, land or club membership, birds, fuel, helper, blank pistol, shells, YEARS of knowledge...your price per month seems like a deal to me. :wink: Again, do your comparison homework...don't go on price alone!

FWIW I am not a biggie for a "puppy program". That I do believe you could do the majority of it at home.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:33 pm

I guess it depends on where you are located. In my area $700 a month for puppy training seems very very high and unless you just dont have time could be done on your own. $800 a month for gundog training is higher yet.

What does the breeder get for a finished dog. Go look at some of his finished dogs, see what you are going to get for your money!!!

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:42 pm

I can't believe people buy a bird dog and then pay someone to do the most fun part of bird dog ownership...training. To get the most of out of your dog, train it yourself.

cullenwruth

Post by cullenwruth » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks for all the help guys! Ive taken in all of yalls advice.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:31 pm

I would talk with Knine on here and ask about puppies and what trainer you should out the dog with. I have seen a certain trainer/trailer out here and his string is no BS . He has the dogs to beat every time he pulls those britt out.

If you want to have your dog running with some of the best britt in the country you prob shouldn't have it with a cheap trainer.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:40 pm

What are we talking about here?? Sending a dog off to be trained as a gundog, or having it trained and left on a pros string for trialing.

What I am saying is:

puppy.....$800

2 months puppy training...$1400

3 months hunting dog training....$2400

1 month force fetch ....$800

if my math is right $4400.....Id think you could buy one heck of a finished dog with experience for that.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:54 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:Go look at some of his finished dogs, see what you are going to get for your money!!!
That sounds like pretty good advise to me. Honestly, if your not interested in training a dog your best bet would be to buy a finished dog or near finished dog. That's what I would do anyway.

Good luck
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 pm

As Birddog3421 said, if it was me, Id buy a started/finished dog for that kind of money. While those prices are high, they are not insanely high IMO. But, with a started or finished, you know what you have. You "could" buy a pup, put a bunch of cash into training, and still end up disappointed. With an older trained dog, you at least will know what you have and minimize the risk IMO.

I love the training part, its rewarding and a ton of fun. If I didnt have time or ability, I would definately buy a trained dog over buying a pup and paying for the training. JM2C.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:58 pm

A trialer can add your dog on the string and get the most out of your dog rather than having a mediocre dog who will do what you want but may not have the wow factor you wish you could show your buddies. If your spending the money send the dog it should be someone with the experience and know-how to do it right so you don't have a ruined dog you spent thousands to get trained.

With the high unemployment rate people are putting stickers all over their truck and calling themselves trainers. Beware of this and check with the trainers trainer if possible. Also 20 references are not enough and have them give you a reference where the dog did not make it through training... a lot of trainers have had at least one that don't.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:03 pm

cullenwruth wrote:so i have decided to get a brittany. Ive found a breeder that has puppies available. The breeder offers puppy program for dogs 6-12 months fot $700 a month in preperation for formal training that is $800 a month for three months. If you do the math, to me, theses prices seem insane. Are all trainers THAT expensive? If so, should i get all of the things i need to train myself?
Hack, Cough, Choke... Whew... that was a close one. :o

I bet its "Phillipshead Kennels" ~We put the Screws to ya~ :lol: :mrgreen:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Those prices seem a little high compared to what we see around here,but not extremely out of line assuming you are looking at a top notch trainer. I would add that, although others are right that if you look at strictly dollars spent a finished dog could be cheaper, in a finished dog, you are missing the joy of watching your puppy grow and develop, you are missing the sense of reward and frustration which goes with housebreaking and socializing. You are missing the excitement of watching a young dog mature physically as well as mentally, knowing that you are playing an important role in that process.

Another aspect to consider is that many trainers are receptive to the idea of owners spending a significant amount of time observing and participating in their training process. For those owners willing to make the effort to involve themselves, what they can learn from the process is unlimited. If you ever hope to be able to train your own dog one day, you must first learn how it's done. If you include the value of your own education in the price of training, it may be a better deal than it sounds.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:30 pm

$1000. a month is Ontario - prices depend on how many trainers are around , competition and we don't have many.

When I was young and less stupid , and first dog , I paid a guy in Michigan $600. to force fetch my dog. 4 weeks later he called and said "I need another month because it has been hot." I agreed :roll: . When I picked up the dog 4 weeks later, he would take the dummy , unwillingly , from the guy's hand. That's it. Wow.

PS He lived in Michigan. I thought , "That won't be too far from Ontario. " As we got driving, we realized it was near Mackinac Bridge. :lol:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:05 pm

cullenwruth wrote:If so, should i get all of the things i need to train myself?

Let's see...collars, birds, launchers, backing dummy, birds, 4 wheeler, land or club membership, birds, fuel, helper, blank pistol, shells, YEARS of knowledge...your price per month seems like a deal to me. :wink: Again, do your comparison homework...don't go on price alone!
Yes, his country club membership and yacht club membership are pushing his price of the puppy program through the roof. :D

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:10 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:
cullenwruth wrote:so i have decided to get a brittany. Ive found a breeder that has puppies available. The breeder offers puppy program for dogs 6-12 months fot $700 a month in preperation for formal training that is $800 a month for three months. If you do the math, to me, theses prices seem insane. Are all trainers THAT expensive? If so, should i get all of the things i need to train myself?
Hack, Cough, Choke... Whew... that was a close one. :o

I bet its "Phillipshead Kennels" ~We put the Screws to ya~ :lol: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: and i bet you have to buy your own screws too....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:19 pm

This a puppy you are buying for your enjoyment. I have never understood the enjoyment of owning a pup that someone else gets to keep while you pay money not to have the pup at home. Training is not all that complicated as it is hard to mess up a pup if you just stop to think, ask advice if you are stumped, have some patience. After all this isn't an investment you are buying but a living creature that you would like to have in your home. As far as having something you can brag about, guess thats OK if you get your kicks out of paying someone to raise, train, and enjoy, your pup while you have all of the fun of paying the bills and the pride of owning something you had nothing to do with.

One of the main problems I see with trialing is the idea that the dog has to be trained by a professional or that you need thousands of dollars worth of equipment to be able to do it yourself. In other words it seems that training becomes the sport and enjoying your dog in the field is just something you do a couple of times a year if it doesn't interfere with the dogs training. I guess I am old fashioned but I buy a puppy to hunt with. And along the way I get the enjoyment of teaching the pup to hunt inthe manner I like, and if it doesn't turn out perfect who cares, since nothing else around here is perfect including me. But however it turns out I am going to have the satisfaction that I did it and didn't just buy it.

Pride of ownership is greatly diminished when you buy something rather than creating it with your own hard work.

JMO,

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:25 pm

The price is high, especially the puppy intro.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Instead of paying the big dollars, join a Navhda club that is close to you---they have training days and help new people out with training. Also you might try looking around this forum and find someone close to you that wants to train dogs---4 hands are better than 2 hands when training. Enjoy the pup, socialize him, let him run, and work on a few basic commands until he gets a little older.