Advice- a solid gun dog AND house pet

txgsp

Advice- a solid gun dog AND house pet

Post by txgsp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Alright so I have a question.. My GSP is a year and half and I love him to death. My only complaint is that he is very high strung to the point where he won't even calm down when he is walking around the house. Always sniffing around, curious, etc. It doesn't really bother me but it is a nuisance for my roommates or visitors. My question is, how to I maintain a good level of in house obedience without effecting the training he has received? For instance, wanting him to walk closer to me while we are on a walk and he is on a lease, BUT not wanting him to hunt close to me when we are out in the field. Or when he wants to mess with the cats and won't listen to me when I say no.

I just need some advice on how to have a great dog in the field and in the house as well. Can I use his e-collar inside or is that just a horrible idea to help him get the point?

Any helps would be appreciated!

-William

SubMariner

Re: Advice- a solid gun dog AND house pet

Post by SubMariner » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:32 pm

txgsp wrote:Alright so I have a question.. My GSP is a year and half and I love him to death. My only complaint is that he is very high strung to the point where he won't even calm down when he is walking around the house. Always sniffing around, curious, etc. It doesn't really bother me but it is a nuisance for my roommates or visitors. My question is, how to I maintain a good level of in house obedience without effecting the training he has received? For instance, wanting him to walk closer to me while we are on a walk and he is on a lease, BUT not wanting him to hunt close to me when we are out in the field. Or when he wants to mess with the cats and won't listen to me when I say no.

I just need some advice on how to have a great dog in the field and in the house as well. Can I use his e-collar inside or is that just a horrible idea to help him get the point?

Any helps would be appreciated!

-William
Enroll in obedience classes. That way you BOTH will know what to do. :)
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:34 pm

I agree with obedience classes and I'll say that all of our dogs that are inside (Vizsla and two EP's) know the difference between hunting and inside manners. Having an obedient dog will not ruin him for hunting.

txgsp

Post by txgsp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Okay great, I just don't want to do anything to adversely affect his hunting obedience. Keep the advice comin'!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Basic obedience, as mentioned already. SETTLE, LEAVE IT, HEEL. Get a crate and use it.

Q: What do you call a a guy whose roommates get tired of his dog?

A: Homeless.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 pm

I've never been around a hunting dog that was also a pet that didn't know the difference between house manners, and hunting.

I've never done obedience school with a dog, most of the ones I've known that did go, I find to have horrible manners. It's just like training anything else, consistency and making sure they know what you expect.

Crate training is a huge help.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

apachecadillac

Post by apachecadillac » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:53 pm

If the dog is a year and half old and full of restless energy around the house maybe he needs more exercise? From your tagline, you're going to school in Houston, and I know it can be tough to get a bird dog out in a big city like that. We used to take our Brittany over to the Rice Campus, but that was 15 years ago and I think they've built the place out a great deal since then.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Our dogs are taught a release signal to let them know it's time to shove it on down into overdrive.

txgsp

Post by txgsp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:10 pm

apachecadillac wrote:If the dog is a year and half old and full of restless energy around the house maybe he needs more exercise? From your tagline, you're going to school in Houston, and I know it can be tough to get a bird dog out in a big city like that. We used to take our Brittany over to the Rice Campus, but that was 15 years ago and I think they've built the place out a great deal since then.
I actually go to school in Fort Worth. He does need more exercise and I know that will help some, but the main issue is when I go home and stay with my mom and her two cats. That's when the issues start haha.

txgsp

Post by txgsp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Oh and also, he is absolutely crate trained already. At what age do GSP usually start calming down and hanging around the house without going nuts?

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:20 pm

I've got a 6 month old EP that knows when it's time to chill. Daddy don't tolerate being a heathen in the house. If you wanna be inside and free, you will act civilized.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:21 pm

txgsp wrote:Oh and also, he is absolutely crate trained already. At what age do GSP usually start calming down and hanging around the house without going nuts?
Twelve. He made it three and a half more years. Still hated cats, though.

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Our dogs are taught a release signal to let them know it's time to shove it on down into overdrive.
I use this method. When inside, calm. If he goes stupid he gets a time out in his crate for 5 minutes so he can calm down some. When out walking, he's expected to be at heel on command even when the leash it taken off. But one the "Go get'um" command is given is knows to go full out and run smelling all the way which he loves to do.

None of this happened over night, it all took time and repetition. Every evening before night fall we go out and work in the field. He burns energy and I get a slightly tired puppy that's really hungry and willing to learn for food.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 am

Get a brittany...jk.

More excersize......

When mine are annoying me in the house I use a "get in your bed" command. They go to their beds and chill.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:13 am

Hey man, all of our dogs go nuts for about the first 30-60 minutes out of their crates in the morning and when we get home from work. I think that is pretty normal - for any breed. It's surprising to me how personalities differe and how some settle right down and how others just want to keep "busy." As long as they aren't disruptive and causing and damage - I don't care what they do. They all listen and can be crated when company arrives.

I know, however, that if we do not exercise them 3 times a week they will drive us NUTS!
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:03 am

txGSP,
You can do all the training you think is necessary, and it will help. However you are fighting genetics, if you want the ultimate gun dog that behaves in the home and
still preforms in the field, you want a Ryman Setter. George Ryman bred these dog as the ultimate family companion while in the home, and companion hunting dog
while in the the field and woods. The ultimate layed back gun dog in the home and great hunting dog in the field and woods. Have a couple sleeping on the floor of the office as I type this post, quiet and relaying here with our 6 dogs.
RGD/Dave

Two of our Ryman Setters and our German Weimar, on the couch at the training facility in Potter/Tioga, Pa, a layed back multi dog house hold.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14 am

Isn't ultimate a little bit subjective?

I don't like long haired dogs :mrgreen:

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:12 am

RoostersMom wrote:I agree with obedience classes and I'll say that all of our dogs that are inside (Vizsla and two EP's) know the difference between hunting and inside manners. Having an obedient dog will not ruin him for hunting.
Well said!
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

apachecadillac

Post by apachecadillac » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 am

Txgsp--

One thing is for sure, time isn't going to cure this. Within the last month I have listened to my 83 year old mother complain about the behavior of my 55 year old sister's dog around my mom's cat when sis comes to visit. My sister responded with deafening silence when I mentioned the existence of these things called boarding kennels. OTOH, roommates might dump you over the problem, your mom will pr'ly still cook for you, do your laundry, and load you up with stuff from Costco to take back to school after she's blistered your ears with dog complaints. At least that's how it works up in the Pacific Northwest.

Please understand that this is written as by a father who next week will be dogsitting his own son's somewhat undisciplined 18 month old (non-hunting) mutt while the owner is on a job hunting trip. I would feed the dog steak and eggs for a week if that would guarantee a job offer for my kid, but I'd complain about canine manners the whole time.

Good luck,
AC

txgsp

Post by txgsp » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanks for all the good replies guys. I now know that doing some in-house obedience training will not have any negative effect on his hunting abilities. Time to get cracking I guess :D

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:55 pm

txgsp wrote:Thanks for all the good replies guys. I now know that doing some in-house obedience training will not have any negative effect on his hunting abilities. Time to get cracking I guess :D
You cant go wrong with an obedient dog in the house..you will have a better relationship with an obedient dog..a well mannered dog is one that you can take everywhere with you and others enjoy being around..also just like with training for hunting, obedience training of any kind will build a good relationship for the two of you...good luck and happy training :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)