Need to send a puppy to Michigan

A/C Guy

Need to send a puppy to Michigan

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:36 am

We sold a male puppy to a hunter in Michigan. He was all set to have the puppy fly up to Detroit when he learned that there is a several hour lay over at O'Hare. He and I are looking for other options since he does not want the puppy in the kennel that long and he is concerned for the puppy. Getting loaded into the plane once and then unloaded is bad enough, but coupled with a lay over and the additional noises and a second take off and landing is more trauma than he wants to impose on the dog. The puppy will be just at 11 weeks old on the preferred weekend (March 20) of the trip/ delivery.

Any suggestions for alternatives modes of travel?

Thanks.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

Fair Fields

Re: Need to send a puppy to Michigan

Post by Fair Fields » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:41 am

Gundog Express and Chuck Fowler. I am not sure if he goes to the southwest, but it is worth a shot.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:51 am

Have you checked all the airlines?..i just had a pup come from tennessee to detroit 3 weeks ago and i went with delta because they were the ONLY airline to do a straight threw flight..i dont know how close you are, but DELTA does a straight threw flight from phoenix az to detroit..call 1800 352 2746 to get any info on shipping pups threw DELTA..hope that helps..good luck..ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:07 am

Apparently, he did not check Delta. Thanks, I will check into that.

I also just emailed Gunddogs Express for a quote. Their regular price is $300, but the website said to email for specials (if you are flexible and they can combine trips I presume).

Their contact: Email: gundogs@ictc.com

Chuck & Heather Fowler
2782 134th Ave SE
Tower City, ND. 58071

Chuck: 701-793-4585
Heather: 701-793-4586
Home: 701-749-HUNT (4868)
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am

just curious how the shipping situation worked out....ruth

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:52 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:just curious how the shipping situation worked out....ruth
The buyer is griping about the costs.
$400 via Gundogs Express
$220 via A/A, plus $45 for carrier, plus A/A requires recent (<10 day old) vet clearance $75, plus cold weather restrictions.

Still considering options.
One more gripe and I'll just send him a refund (he paid for the dog in full).

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:58 pm

tcjack wrote:vagabondhounds.com steve is a great guy
Thanks, $300 is better than $400. I prefer the puppy not fly.

I'm awaiting an answer from Steve.
http://www.vagabondhound.com/

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:26 pm

A/C Guy wrote:
$400 via Gundogs Express
$220 via A/A, plus $45 for carrier, plus A/A requires recent (<10 day old) vet clearance $75, plus cold weather restrictions.

Sad part here we have heat restriction which can halt a shipping faster then a cold weather one will and last I heard weather person said 90 degrees are coming already... :evil: I am so ready for fall can we just skip summer
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:30 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
A/C Guy wrote:
$400 via Gundogs Express

Sad part here we have heat restriction which can halt a shipping faster then a cold weather one will and last I heard weather person said 90 degrees are coming already... :evil: I am so ready for fall can we just skip summer
DId you happen to look at my location? :mrgreen:

I think A/A stops shipping animals from PHX at 85˚

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Yep noticed I said WE :mrgreen: you are only about 45 minutes from me coming through Florence
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:38 pm

that don't sound too bad , especially if they deliver to his door. Looking at his point of view. The crate cost, at least he has a crate afterward. I usually pay health paper cost not the buyer. Maybe I am wrong???

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:46 pm

Brittguy wrote:that don't sound too bad , especially if they deliver to his door. Looking at his point of view. The crate cost, at least he has a crate afterward. I usually pay health paper cost not the buyer. Maybe I am wrong???
All other puppies that went out of state had their vet certifications paid by the buyer. Our vet does give them a $10 discount since we send him quite a few referrals.
Well, there is more to the story than I've typed. Because of a mistake my wife made, I already offered to cover part of his transportation costs. He is getting a great deal. Now, it seems he does not fully appreciate it and he has complained about some of the costs associated, so if he complains about the added vet exam, I'll give him his money back and either keep the dog or call 2 other buyers that were in back-up positions. This dog has a lot of potential. His nose just goes all the time.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:25 pm

A/C Guy wrote:
Brittguy wrote:that don't sound too bad , especially if they deliver to his door. Looking at his point of view. The crate cost, at least he has a crate afterward. I usually pay health paper cost not the buyer. Maybe I am wrong???
All other puppies that went out of state had their vet certifications paid by the buyer. Our vet does give them a $10 discount since we send him quite a few referrals.
Well, there is more to the story than I've typed. Because of a mistake my wife made, I already offered to cover part of his transportation costs. He is getting a great deal. Now, it seems he does not fully appreciate it and he has complained about some of the costs associated, so if he complains about the added vet exam, I'll give him his money back and either keep the dog or call 2 other buyers that were in back-up positions. This dog has a lot of potential. His nose just goes all the time.

Does it send up a red flag?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:05 am

A/C Guy wrote:
In my opinion this is YOUR pup at this point even though he has paid, you are the one who talks to the potential buyers and you determine whether the people are suitable for one of your pups or not..trust me i have never had a litter so i cant speak from experience but if i were to whelp a litter that i brought into this world none of my pups would go to someone i didnt feel comfortable with whether i had their money or not..go with your gut on this one..personally if a few hundred is such an issue to him for shipping maybe he should buy a pup locally..JMO..im sure you will do whats best for the pup in the end......ruth :)

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Sounds like the buyer is trying to whine until you get so fed up with it that you just pay shipping as well. If I had bought a pup that I was really excited about I'd be trying every way possible to get that pup to my asap.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 pm

I got an email from him today. No more complaints about the costs. He said that whatever I feel is the best way to send the puppy will be fine. Just let him know the expected delivery date so he take take time off work to get the puppy and he'll take the next day off work to stay home with the puppy to spend the day with it in the new surroundings. That sounds more like someone that cares about the dog's well being. He also mentioned taking the puppy straight to the vet for a check up and next round of puppy shots. I think I will use Vagahounds. I don't like the thought of abandoning the puppy at the airport; especially since we will see the 90's this week and next.
kninebirddog wrote: Yep noticed I said WE you are only about 45 minutes from me coming through Florence
Did some work in Coolidge today. Man, are you guys way out of the way from everything! Came up from Oro Valley via 79, that wasn't too bad, but then NOTHING goes straight back to civilization from there. I had to zig zag my way back to get to A.J.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Yep we are in the boonies ... and hopefully the city will grow the other way and stay away from us :mrgreen:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:11 am

Glad you feel more comfortable with him..whatever way you decide to get the pup to where its going is a good choice as long as you feel good about it..good luck with it all.......ruth

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:13 pm

Gundog's Ridge-point Hustler (Jersey)
Who is the sire and dam of this one? I havea dog from him too.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:01 pm

markj wrote:
Gundog's Ridge-point Hustler (Jersey)
Who is the sire and dam of this one? I havea dog from him too.
The sire is Landrover VD Westwind and the dam is Ridge-point Dixies's Delight..you have a pup from the same litter?..or from the same sire?...ruth :D

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:10 am

Ridge-point Dixies's Delight
I have a litter mate to her. I see she was also bred to the Fritz dog.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:42 am

One of the reasons that I posted the flat fee for shipping a puppy on my site is that the new owner knows what it will cost. I tend to ship via delta more than any other airline as their hub is here in Salt Lake.
Cost breakdown is:
Airline fee: $250
Vet Cert: $50
Travel Kenel: $50
Total Cost: $350
They get to keep the kenel.

I have talked to the airlines about layovers and have found that most have an area where the dogs can run about if there is a long layover. They will feed the pup is the layover is more than 3.5 hours. Works well in most cases.

girlwithagun

Post by girlwithagun » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:05 am

I have used several dog haulers and none of them were as professional and friendly as chuck and Heather. They care for the dogs and it shows.