Mississippi Bird Hunting

collinedward

Mississippi Bird Hunting

Post by collinedward » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:21 am

It looks like there is 94.9 percent chance that we are moving to Gulfport area. My wife was offered a great job down there. What is bird hunting like in Mississippi ? There DNR website doesn't give a whole lot..

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Re: Mississippi Bird Hunting

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:26 am

I spent several years in Gautier which is 25 miles or so from Gulfport and as far as upland hunting goes- sorry about your luck man. Waterfowl hunting I believe was pretty decent especially if you take I-10 and head west toward Mobile but not much in the way of upland hunting. Deer hunting and fishing are king down there especially fishing, ocean and freshwater both just watch out for the cottonmouths and the gators and if you fish brackish water sharks too. Head north of Gulfport up towards Hattiesburg for better and bigger deer. As far as upland goes head up towards the Tennessee border around Batesville and Oxford and further north for quail. I tried to find decent hunting the entire time I lived in Gautier, Jackson, and Meridian and other than turkey, deer and waterfowl I never located any. Most people blame the fire ants for the destruction of the quail. Good luck.

admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:38 am

Not sure about South MS. We live in NE MS.

After years of trying to develop habitat on public land, Steve and my dad ended up always going to TX for bird season.

Agree on the duck hunting. And deer hunting is insane up here.
-- ROB SNELL,
DOG TRAINING DIGITAL LLC

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 am

collinedward wrote:It looks like there is 94.9 percent chance that we are moving to Gulfport area. My wife was offered a great job down there. What is bird hunting like in Mississippi ? There DNR website doesn't give a whole lot..
Look at the bright side, you have a 5.1 percent chance of staying where you are! :D

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 am

Well I live in Ohio now, can't be much worse...

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Exactly Collin can't get any worse.Good Luck with what ever happens. :D