Kennels: Tarter, Priefert, Mason, or Magnum?

JakeDD

Kennels: Tarter, Priefert, Mason, or Magnum?

Post by JakeDD » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:38 am

I'll be redoing my kennel setup this spring and scrapping my old chainlink run for a nicer, welded wire setup. The plan is for 3 runs side by side on a concrete pad with some Dog Dens or custom boxes for shelter. I've read some pros/cons about different kennel manufacturers, but thought I'd throw this out for discussion one more time.

I've heard that Magnums rust quite easily, which is a big concern to me. Any have that experience with Magnums?

Masons look great, but very expensive. The above ground setups are sweet, but not really suited for outdoors. They do have chain link, but again - not too thrilled about that. Am I missing other product lines for outdoor setups?

I just came across Tarter this week and it says they're carried by Lowe's and Menard's in my area. I saw some at Lowe's last fall that I suspect were Tarter, but I don't recall the brand on them. Anyone have experience with Tarter? Durability? Price?

Right now I'm leaning toward Priefert Premier series. I've always like Priefert stuff and the Priefert runs I've seen have been pretty decent. Please tell me you love yours.... :lol:

Other manufacturers to look at? Thoughts?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Kennels: Tarter, Priefert, Mason, or Magnum?

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:49 am

Our local Tractor Supply Company (TSC) sells a chromed welded wire kennel under the AKC name that is reasonable in price and very durable, mine are 5 years old with no signs of wear.

I have one Priefert 10 X 10 puppy pen that is over 15 years old that is just showing some rust, but it cost more than 3 of the AKC kennels.

Neil

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 am

TSC now sells what looks like the same kennel under the Doc Bob name, you can buy extra gates and panels to build your own.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-care/ ... -h-3606033

Tas

Post by Tas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm

http://www.lbarmranch.com/dog-kennels.html
This was the best I could find. I am happy with mine, but only had it for 1/2 year.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:18 pm

I have 4 of these, http://www.optionsplus.com/dog-kennels- ... series.htm

I will be buying 6 more this summer. I cant complain a bit.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

TXShooter

Post by TXShooter » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:19 pm

I got the powder coated Priefert for my three dogs and they looked great. But, after a few years the one that houses my oldest male totally rusted out the bottom rail where he would urinate.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:55 pm

I was also poking around recently trying to find options. I came across a well known dog trialer/breeder that is producing some very nice quality kennels. TK Products is run and founded by Dave Terhaar http://tkproductsllc.com/

I will have my runs on order soon from one of his reps...
Richard Wyatt
TK Products, LLC
217-733-2644
EngSetter@aol.com
http://www.heartlandenglishsetters.com

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:33 pm

I bought a shed/bird pen from an amish building company in Berlin, OH that did some custom built dog kennels that I thought looked really nice. They were treated lumber and welded wire.

I know, chewing wood. Still, they looked really nice and they could be heated or insulated and covered from the elements.

I looked for a website, but could not find one. I know for about $3500.00 you can get everything built and delivered to your prepared site. Think about how much your time is worth....
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:45 pm

I have regular chain link type of Mason. They may seem expensive at first, but they are probably cheapest when you consider features and life. Mine are about 23 years old and still not rusted at all, the fabric is tight and they do not use tension bars the wire is wrapped around the frame and doors have dog proof latches. If I needed to add I would not hesitate to go to them again. If you get their catalog you can see many options to give you exactly what you want.
Last edited by Brittguy on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:53 pm

We bought 6 Magnums and they rusted out badly within a year and a half. They were on concrete and covered. Would NEVER buy those again. I went to Mason and love them. Yes they are more expensive but totally worth it in the long run. The mason are hand woven and have no where for dogs to get hurt.

Judy
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

Fair Fields

Post by Fair Fields » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:58 pm

I have 4 runs of Options Plus Ultra Series and they are absolute trash. They rusted out within 18 months and even the coated wire is rusting. These are under roof and on concrete. Some are rusting out only from the spray of a hose as I have females in those runs.

larry

Post by larry » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Another vote for Masons. If you dont plan on moving in several years they can't be beat. Mine are over 20 years old and are still in excellant shape. The outdoor runs have no roof over them, I am in upstate New York so they have seen plenty of bad weather.

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:27 pm

I have the priefert on concrete runs and love them. Assemble in a few minutes with no tools....worth the money in my opinion.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks, guys. Lots of good info here.

Neil/Tas - thanks for the links - I will definitely check these out.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:06 pm

I have some Prieferts and after five years they are beginning to rust in the high use areas. I plan to sand blast those areas this Summer and give them a coat of red oxide primer. In over 40 years of kenneling dogs I have yet to find any panels that will hold up more than a few years in those areas where the males mark.

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:58 pm

We have Priefert and have been very happy with them.
Willie Hunter