The Burnt creek method

Truthseeker

The Burnt creek method

Post by Truthseeker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:53 pm

is anyone familier with this book or used some of his training techniques?

Has anyone owned or currently own a setter from his kennel?

Nhuskr

Re: The Burnt creek method

Post by Nhuskr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:31 am

Truthseeker wrote:is anyone familier with this book or used some of his training techniques?

Has anyone owned or currently own a setter from his kennel?
My husband wishes he'd known about this method when he trained Cadee. When he first started, all he knew about was Wolter's book. Cadee has turned into a fine bird dog, but Wendell thinks Marti's method would have made things easier. I'll be using his book when I get my pup. It really makes things simple for the first time trainer to understand; and encourages you to keep things fun for both the dog and you.

Mr. Marti doesn't have his kennel anymore, as far as selling dogs. My husband got to talk to him directly when he ordered the book, and those were the first words out of his mouth. :)

Cheryl

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:33 pm

I bought the book some years ago and read it through.. It was one of several training books I obtained and read.

I came away with two concepts that I felt were quite valuable.

First and foremost was to approach the training of a dog in a stepwise, systematic fashion...with benchmarks for evaluation that should be met before proceeding to the next training phase.

The second concept was a very clear understanding of the benefits of stop to flush training and a good method to accomplish the training of this behavior.

RayG

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Ray,

Is it out of line to ask for an abriged synopsis of the stop to flush training? I swear I will order the book today but I am intrigued.

Joe

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:40 pm

Chukar12,

The STF is the best part of the thin book....the foundation for most everything.
Dan

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:12 pm

So maybe I lied....Amazon wants $357 for this book, they show only 1 used copy. I have heard that the author sells the direct but I see no contact for him. any ideas?

Joe

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:55 pm

so i am seeing snippets here and again, it sounds like a West/Gibbons kind of methodology?

mitchhurt
Location: Livingston, Montana/ Patagonia, Arizona/ Cotulla, Texas

Post by mitchhurt » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:37 pm

I have a copy of his book. It only list his address. No phone.
Burnt Creek Press
PO Box 123
Baldwin, ND 58521-0123

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Joe -

I dug the book out(got it in 1999) and am re-reading the STF section as I type. Here goes:

Marti suggests starting STF right after point is established in the dog and after it is obedience trained. he perfers to work with a dog before any bad habits around birds have been "learned".

He runs the dog in an area devoid of birds. The dog is on a long checkcord. As the dog swings by he tosses a pigeon so that the dog MUST see it. Then he stops the dog by either stepping on the checkcord or, if he has it in his hands, simple hang on. No words, no signals just the bird and then the chekcord. After a time, when the dog swings by again, toss another bird and repeat.

The germ of the concept is that the sight of the bird flying is the same kind of stop signal as an upraised hand. a pop of the checkcord or a verbal "whoa". The sight of the bird in flight and/or the sound of the flapping wings should be the signal to the dog to stop and stand.

When I do this type of work, I also take a moment to style the dog up and stroke him before I release him to contuinue on. I think it helps to build confidence and makes the dog "want " to swell up on point when he sees the bird flying.

As the dog gets good at this particular game, I also will use remote launchers and switch from a checkcord to an e-collar for compliance reminders as necessary. Remote launched birds can really get a dog up on its toenails if it is not overdone.

Hope this is of use.

RayG

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:08 am

I trained several Burnt Creek dogs from Jet Train. Some of the easiest and best dogs I ever worked with. I think Burnt Creek Press is still around. I googled either Jim Marti or Burnt Creek Kennels or something like that a couple years ago. Jim was around but no mention of the Kennels.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

cody

Post by cody » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:59 pm

I recently ordered the book from Jim directly, if you would like his # PM and I will pass it along.