I'm getting excited

Birddogz

I'm getting excited

Post by Birddogz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Just went for a duck hunt today. There were ducks everywhere, but unfortunately the skeeters were as big as the ducks, and even more plentiful. When I parked my truck, my son and I were talking/loading guns/etc. After about 10 minutes I let my DD out. She runs into a patch of grass the size of my garage that is literally 15 feet from my truck. She locks up, and I walk in....1 rooster gets up cackling like mad, as soon as that one is 20 yards out another, when that one is 20 yards out, another! Every one flew directly away. Easy shots. That would have been my limit in 30 seconds of hunting if it were season. After that we were walking down a dirt road. There were pheasants running in every direction, crossing the road. When we get to the blind about a dozen erupt from the marsh grass around the blind. As we are sitting in the blind, in every direction all I can hear is CUCK CUCK! I have never been so ready for a pheasant opener in my life. Anyone else just chomping at the bit? I can barely sleep at night. 10 more days! :D :D :D :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

prairiefirepointers

Re: I'm getting excited

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:35 pm

10 days is all before your pheasant opener? Ours is the first week of November.. as always.

Yes I am most definately ready! I am taking all 4 of my dogs running tomorrow. I've been running them at least twice a week in different locations. My bird strips are FREAKIN AWESOME!!! all the early rain we had really had a substancial impact on the growth. I am definately going to be utilizing beepers, bells, and getting some Visi-Vests for the dogs, because you can't hardly find em in the strips once they head in. They are super dense. (just like my mother in law) :lol:

Supposed to be 85 for the high tomorrow, so I'm gona head out in the morning while its still nice and cool, strap on the camelback and the filson, load the pistol and GO!
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:18 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:10 days is all before your pheasant opener? Ours is the first week of November.. as always.

Yes I am most definately ready! I am taking all 4 of my dogs running tomorrow. I've been running them at least twice a week in different locations. My bird strips are FREAKIN AWESOME!!! all the early rain we had really had a substancial impact on the growth. I am definately going to be utilizing beepers, bells, and getting some Visi-Vests for the dogs, because you can't hardly find em in the strips once they head in. They are super dense. (just like my mother in law) :lol:

Supposed to be 85 for the high tomorrow, so I'm gona head out in the morning while its still nice and cool, strap on the camelback and the filson, load the pistol and GO!
If you have the means, get an Astro. It makes it so nice in that thick stuff. I used to lose my dogs on point all the time until I bought one. Never could stand the sound of those darn beepers! :lol: After purchasing the Astro, it almost isn't fair...almost! :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Nothing like that to get your blood boiling!! It will be here before you know it. :D

Good hunting,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:06 pm

I went fishing last weekend, and there were a ton of ducks flying up and down the river. That got me excited. The first thing I did when I got home was start digging out my waterfowl gear.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:19 pm

I was a waterfowler hardcore starting out. Since I started 'Prairie Fire Pointers' I have hardly hunted ducks. I still have all the equipment.. alot of nice equipment just sitting in the storage shed. This year I might do alot more waterfowling.. Idunno. I thought about getting the dogs out to run, but w/o Brownie, and Jenny just coming back from the vet (although doing fantastic) that only left me with 'Cy' my pointer stud and 'Sooner' my Lab. Maybe I'll run the 2 boys tomorrow. Just depends how I feel. :|

Bird season lost alot of its luster this year.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"