Someone Tell Me I Don't Need...

M1Tanker

Someone Tell Me I Don't Need...

Post by M1Tanker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:08 pm

..a sliding rear window in my new truck.

Trying to get a 2010 via a dealer trade and the ones with rear sliders are hard to come by in any color or combo of options I would like.

Here is my dilemma...I am going to get a Silverado Crew Cab and add a topper with the "windoors" on the sides.

On my trucks previous to the current one, I had toppers and always had a rear sliding window in the truck and a front slider on the topper.

Since I now tow a dog trailer, I really do not need the sliding windows since you can get a drop drop front window in the front of the topper to clean the rear truck window.

I can see me throwing a couple of crates under the topper for local training runs, local hunts, or individual runs to the vet, but for the most part any of the travelling with dogs on extended hunts will be done with a trailer.

So why in the heck am I so hung up on thinking I need sliding windows? I think it is a matter of it being what I always did before dog trailer.

Even on local hunts I can leave the side windows open when traveling and leave the back window open when stationary.

So...somebody make me feel better and tell me to forget about the rear slider in the truck and the front slider in the topper!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Someone Tell Me I Don't Need...

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:50 pm

So you can have passenger reach for a drink in the back of the truck and not have to stop the truck :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:42 am

We don't have sliders in truck or cap...just side sliders in cap, and I've never found this to be a problem.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:22 am

My $.02: I've got a GMC crew cab with no slider on the cab, but do have a front slider on my topper. I personally feel it adds much better airflow for the dogs when I have my side windows open. I duct tape a small US flag to the top corner of my portable kennels so I can see how much air movement is going on as I drove down the road and see a significant difference when the front slider is open.

Also, I believe I have the same topper you're looking at (A.R.E. with windoors?) and there is NO WAY I would ever drive down the road with the front topper window down. Guaranteed to bust IMO. I do love my topper though!

k2k

Post by k2k » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:51 pm

kninebirddog wrote:So you can have passenger reach for a drink in the back of the truck and not have to stop the truck :mrgreen:

You and I think alike! :mrgreen:

I don't know why you wouldn't want to get one. Ya can't add it later w/o problems.

I have sliders on my topper and the cab of the truck, and it does make a huge difference in air flow.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:39 pm

kninebirddog wrote:So you can have passenger reach for a drink in the back of the truck and not have to stop the truck :mrgreen:
We've always called em "beer windows"...

Change isn't a bad thing...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:19 pm

If you're getting a good deal on the truck without the slider, go for it. We throw a cooler in the backseat....it doubles as an end table, a seat, and a mounting block. :D
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit