Found Lost GSP, Calamus Iowa

twofeathers

Found Lost GSP, Calamus Iowa

Post by twofeathers » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:56 pm

Today on my way home from work about a half mile from my home I came upon an all liver GSP running down the road. No collar and looked like he has not been cared for for a few days. Loaded him up and went to all the houses around that area and no one knows where he is from. Going to take him to the vet to check for micro chipping. Called vet and they had not heard anything yet. Went to local gas station and put up flyer. This dog is very calm and friendly and responds to heel, sit, lay down. Posted this here because there are a few local folks who may know to whom he belongs. Found north of Calamus Iowa.

r.r.rouse

Re: Found Lost GSP, Calamus Iowa

Post by r.r.rouse » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:37 pm

I will keep my eyes open and ears open as well in Mcville, Ia. About how old would the dog, male or female, be do ya think? Any distictive markings about this dog? Also when checking for chip do scan all over the body. Them little chips can migrate. Hope dog finds his way home.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:12 am

I would guess him to be three or four years old. All liver, very friendly and seems to have had some training. Have not been to the vet but should be able to go this weekend. I hope someone would do the same for me if I lost mine. I returned to the area I found him and tried the houses where no one answered the other day but still no luck. I would like to find his owners as this is a good lesson for my children to learn.

txgsp

Post by txgsp » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:46 am

Hopefully the dog can find its way home.

I found a chocolate lab in my yard 6 months ago and took her to the vet. They scanned her and called the family. Luckily the family was in town visiting and the dog had gotten out the night before. They were planning on leaving that day, but I was able to get her back to her owners.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Watched him pointing at some birds outside the kennel today. Still trying to find his home.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:47 pm

I'll put the word out too...

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Still have him with us the kids decided to name him Rocky since he was found on a gravel road. I was going to get another GSP but wanted a female so we may try finding him a home if no one claims him. I hate to do that but I think it would be better than taking him to a shelter.We might keep him for a while until I can find a female. How long would you all consider keeping him before taking any action just curious.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:03 pm

With kids involved it can be tricky,depending on your kids. I wouldnt think twiceabout keeping it 2-3 weeks before giving it up. Maybe owners are out of town with summer being here. It is just a bad deal with such a nice sounding dog. I wish you all the luck in the world. Keep us posted. Where exactly was he found? not familiar with that area.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:04 am

Calamus is about 15 miles west of Dewitt Iowa or 30 miles west of Clinton Iowa ,Middle Eastern Iowa, We live on a gravel road about 1 mile from the highway. There are quite a few pheasant hunters in this area and we have public hunting area about 2 miles from the house. I would not mind keeping him nor would the kids but the wife says if I want a female he would have to be relocated. I do have other freinds of mine that hunt who would give him a good home. I would really like to see him go back to his owners as I would be freakin out if mine was lost. Just the fact that no one has even had anyone else come to thier house looking for him makes me think he was dumped off. This is a small town community and everyone knows just about everyone else so I would think by now I would have heard something, but like you mentioned they could be vacationing or something like that. I also noticed looking him over that his nails have recently been trimmed.

gsp-fan

Post by gsp-fan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:35 am

Have you tried contacting the GSP Rescue to see if anyone has lost a dog? I know there are quite a few
lost dogs right now in IA & MI area.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:10 am

Could you post a picture of him? I have some friends in Iowa who may be able to help get the word out.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:39 am

Wes, not sure who's vet office/s you've been at, but if you have a photo...I can make some fliers to take/send to the DeWitt Vets, Maquoketa, Clarence, etc. One of the vets might recognize the dog as a patient. I could also post it to the NAVHDA membership and see if anyone knows of someone missing a gsp...or of anyone wanting to adopt one. If you need help with pics, I be over your way on Sunday.

As far as how long to keep the dog, I guess that depends on your budget and how much the family will get attached. IMO you've done a great thing, and I could only hope someone so thoughtful would come across my dogs, if ever they are lost.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:55 pm

I will get a photo of him and post it this weekend. Thanks wems, those are good ideas I think thats what I'll do. In an effort to make sure he went to his original owners I really didn't want to put pics out at first. That way whomever tried to claim him would be able to give me the description of the dog. There are people out there who would love a "freebie" GSP if you know what I mean. I just wanted to ensure he got back home. I have already talked to a friend who would be happy to have him under the circumstance that if owners showed up he goes back home.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:08 pm

twofeathers wrote:I will get a photo of him and post it this weekend. Thanks wems, those are good ideas I think thats what I'll do. In an effort to make sure he went to his original owners I really didn't want to put pics out at first. That way whomever tried to claim him would be able to give me the description of the dog. There are people out there who would love a "freebie" GSP if you know what I mean. I just wanted to ensure he got back home. I have already talked to a friend who would be happy to have him under the circumstance that if owners showed up he goes back home.

I think you played it smart and I wouldn't put a pic out now either for the very reason you stated. If someone lost it and wanted it back they would have called you and a pic wouldn't make any difference. Just helps someone wanting the dog to claim it. I would give it to your friend if you don't want to keep it with the stipulation that the owner might show up in the next ouple of weeks but very doubtful.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.