Puppy Aggression

lpguy06

Puppy Aggression

Post by lpguy06 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:33 pm

I understand puppies can play rough with each other but i was just wanting some other people's opinions on my pups behavior. My parents have a 4mo old gsp and the sister of my dog. She does fine with her sister theyll nibble at eachother and gennerally just run around, but when the 4mo old comes around she starts getting pretty mean looking for an 8 week old pup. She will show her teeth growl and snap at the 4mo old. Once that starts she then plays more aggresively with her sister and starts biting at her pretty hard. I was just wondering whats normal and what isnt, and how to go apart reaking this behavior?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Puppy Aggression

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Curb it Now

for me that is a red flag ...and I will intercept that pup and let the pup know aggression is not acceptable behavior. I know there are people that will tell you it is a puppy thing
that pup is testing limits and let it go now it CAN get worse as the pup gets away with it. I have watched it happen with clients pups where i have warned them what will happen and then when the pup grows up to be a dog they wonder why the dog bumps and gets into fights more then eny other dog they have seen..I do remind them of what they allowed to happen as a pup

play ounce and trounce is one thing but attack is something very different

JHMO
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:23 pm

How old is this pup?
How old was she when she left her littermates?
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

lpguy06

Post by lpguy06 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:14 am

8wks
Last edited by lpguy06 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:51 am

Huge difference between the play style of a 9 week old puppy and a 16 week old puppy. She sounds like she is scared and defending herself. Its very hard over the internet to tell if its really too much. Maybe try and film it?
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:52 am

Don't ignore it and think it is just a puppy thing. As the dog gets older, it will no longer be just a puppy thing. Follow the advice you have already gotten, and it should be pretty easy to nip in the bud, IMO.

I would just add one thing. Make sure you socialize the puppy. Get him around other people and other dogs as much as you can.

Good luck,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:39 pm

birddogger wrote:Don't ignore it and think it is just a puppy thing. As the dog gets older, it will no longer be just a puppy thing. Follow the advice you have already gotten, and it should be pretty easy to nip in the bud, IMO.

I would just add one thing. Make sure you socialize the puppy. Get him around other people and other dogs as much as you can.

Good luck,
Charlie
Not going to dispute any of the advice you have received but I do want you to stop and think about a couple of things. It sounds like you have had this baby pup in your house for a week or less. The first three or four days she was a baby in a completely new environment and probably pretty much scared and overwhelmed. Now she is starting to relax but still is having to deal with new situations she has never encountered before. And she is handling them the best she can till she learns that the bigger pup and her litter mate are not going to harm her. If the behavior doesn't change in a couple of weeks then it may show the pup has some aggression problems but because you see a behavior once or twice doesn't indicate to me you have a problem but it does show your puppy has some spunk and is not going to let the other two intimidate her. I like that in a 9 week old that has just been taken from its safe environment and thrown into a big world it doesn't understand yet.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:05 pm

A 8 wk old pup does nt need to be with a 4 mo old...A 4 m old pup does not know how to play with such a small puppy...When they are all of the same size it is ok.
brenda

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:10 pm

Did this pup have a bad experience with another dog or puppy prior to this happening?

sal

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:30 pm

Shine that pup on down the road.Sounds like Dominate Agreesion to me and it'll just grow with age.
Dog On Point!!

lpguy06

Post by lpguy06 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:31 pm

Ok let me try answering all the questions... The puppy didnt have any bad prior experiences. I can see where fear comes in to it because the 4 mo old and my pup's sister get along just fine, but at the same time they see each other all day as they are my parents dogs not mine. I will try to get some video today when we go over there to work with them. We are socializing her as much as possible she goes everywhere with us even rides in basket during all my home depot trips getting wood for dog house and loft. She is very friendly towards other people. I dont have anyone close with dogs that i know that she can socialize with thats is why i let her around her sister , the 4mo old, and the 11 yr old. We even had my fiancee's family over for christmas with 13+ people at my house she didnt show any signs of fear or anger towards adults or kids. That was within her first few days here.

LBH

Post by LBH » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:01 pm

You'd give away an 8 week old pup because it bites and ruff houses with another pup? Pups fight. I wouldn't let it get to out of hand by saying he has issues and problems, give it away, etc. Just keep an eye out and give some more time to evaluate the pup. Now, if he shows serious aggression towards people, then you can get concerned and explore some options.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:29 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
birddogger wrote:Don't ignore it and think it is just a puppy thing. As the dog gets older, it will no longer be just a puppy thing. Follow the advice you have already gotten, and it should be pretty easy to nip in the bud, IMO.

Good luck,
Charlie
Not going to dispute any of the advice you have received but I do want you to stop and think about a couple of things. It sounds like you have had this baby pup in your house for a week or less. The first three or four days she was a baby in a completely new environment and probably pretty much scared and overwhelmed. Now she is starting to relax but still is having to deal with new situations she has never encountered before. And she is handling them the best she can till she learns that the bigger pup and her litter mate are not going to harm her. If the behavior doesn't change in a couple of weeks then it may show the pup has some aggression problems but because you see a behavior once or twice doesn't indicate to me you have a problem but it does show your puppy has some spunk and is not going to let the other two intimidate her. I like that in a 9 week old that has just been taken from its safe environment and thrown into a big world it doesn't understand yet.

Ezzy

You got it Ezzy. Very well said. That might be some puppy. ADD ( That pup is my kind of pup, LG Guy. I've always preferred, white and liver.)
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

lpguy06

Post by lpguy06 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:50 pm

Yah im definitely not giving up on an 8 week old puppy. Like i said she is very friendly with strangers of all ages. Going around in home depot she wags her tail at anyone who even walks by. I wasnt able to work with her today but i will start stopping her when i think it gets TOO out of hand.
Here are some updated pictures of her helping me around the house, also before i got a table saw lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:09 pm

Personally I don't think an 8 or 9 week old pup can show aggression. They can start showing some spunk as they make a bid to find their spot in the pecking order. But if it concerns you then change the situation. Nine week old pups should probably be at home till the vaccinations take effect and gives her some immunity to a lot of serious diseases. She is nine weeks old. About at the mental cababilities of 5 month old child. Haven't seen many of them with aggession problems either.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:15 pm

LPGuy 06

That is a beautiful puppy. I prefer liver and white. Brings back memories of a dog I had.

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:40 pm

I have seen my fair share of aggressive JR pups but frankly it was because I actually SAW the body language. Its impossible to tell from here. I suspect Ezzy is right but keep an eye on it. A pup that young will often take a submissive posture to an older pup or adult but not always. It doesn't mean the pup is a problem pup or will get worse. Puppies make a lot of noises and gestures that could be considered "aggressive" but aren't.

I would definitely spend time keeping that pup on its back, gently of course. Let multiple people feed it, hold the bowl for a minute or so to show dominance, take the bowl away mid-meal then put it back and avoid rolling around and playing with it on the floor. No tug of war either.

I have always socialized pups with much older dogs that were less likely to pounce while playing but would put a pup in its place if need be. Its not hard find and old Lab or Golden where I live.

Also, learn the puppy behavioral stages you can find them on the internet.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:22 pm

When a pup begins to growl at another stepping in between the two dogs and facing and blocking the aggressive behavior or a little lift at the scruff of the neck where the front paws come off the ground a bit. But I have seen 6 week old pups play slice and dice on each other when small aggressive stances were not contended with.

More then likely some simple redirections will let the pup know what is not acceptable if the body language is not of that of play
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:27 am

kninebirddog wrote:When a pup begins to growl at another stepping in between the two dogs and facing and blocking the aggressive behavior or a little lift at the scruff of the neck where the front paws come off the ground a bit. But I have seen 6 week old pups play slice and dice on each other when small aggressive stances were not contended with.

More then likely some simple redirections will let the pup know what is not acceptable if the body language is not of that of play
+1 I will give a mild correction or redirection to a young puppy if he starts nipping and biting me, even though they are just playing. They learn real fast what is acceptable and what is not.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:33 pm

I'll chime in. Puppy behaviors are explorations and precursors of adult issues, generally speaking. I agree with K9 on this one. It's not a gooddog or god bad dog issue yet, but now is a time when you are big enough and important enough to be setting the rules, easily. In my house, not fighting is an important rule. Puppies will challenge and learn, but they should also learn to listen to you and you draw the line for them. Like children hitting another child at preschool. You teach them how to deal with a situation without . I would start with intercepting and picking her up. Probably you will get growling and snappin, directed at the other dog, as you are picking her up. She will misread your picking up as "help" for her cause. Scruff her lightly with one hand, holding with the other, and say NO! and she'll quickly stop as she is lifted and less secure. Then next time don't pick her up, scruff her or scold her on the ground, but hold her down to the ground on her side, if you can until she stops. You are setting the rules in her language. Mamma does the same thing when they pull her ears too hard... She'll say "that's enough!"

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Time will tell.Keep us posted as the situation progresses.
Dog On Point!!

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:15 pm

I agree with Brenda. An 8 week old pup shouldn't be playing with a 4 mos. old pup. The 4 mos. old is most likely playing a little rougher than an 8 week old and could possibly hurt the younger one. The younger pup may be frightened and that could be making her snap at them.

I definitely would let the 8 week old play with the 11 yr. old dog though! The older dog will teach the young pup some social skills and also when enough is enough for rough play. I always let my older dogs play with my young pups. Once my current pups are old enough I will have them out with Grandma and Grandpa in the dog yard.

LOL I guess many of you haven't seen young Weims playing together! They grab at each other's back legs, chest bang each other, roll each other over, and snarl. But none of these dogs is in the LEAST bit aggressive to other dogs or humans! Rough play lets them know what is good and what is bad for play. When the other dog has had enough they let each other know.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Cherrystone Wrote:
" An 8 week old pup shouldn't be playing with a 4 mos. old pup. The 4 mos. old is most likely playing a little rougher than an 8 week old and could possibly hurt the younger one. The younger pup may be frightened and that could be making her snap at them. "

"I definitely would let the 8 week old play with the 11 yr. old dog though! The older dog will teach the young pup some social skills and also when enough is enough for rough play"

And what do you think may frighten or injure the pup more,rough housing from the 4 month old or a possible snap and bite from the Bigger 11 year old?
Dog On Point!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:32 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:I agree with Brenda. An 8 week old pup shouldn't be playing with a 4 mos. old pup. The 4 mos. old is most likely playing a little rougher than an 8 week old and could possibly hurt the younger one. The younger pup may be frightened and that could be making her snap at them.

I definitely would let the 8 week old play with the 11 yr. old dog though! The older dog will teach the young pup some social skills and also when enough is enough for rough play. I always let my older dogs play with my young pups. Once my current pups are old enough I will have them out with Grandma and Grandpa in the dog yard.

LOL I guess many of you haven't seen young Weims playing together! They grab at each other's back legs, chest bang each other, roll each other over, and snarl. But none of these dogs is in the LEAST bit aggressive to other dogs or humans! Rough play lets them know what is good and what is bad for play. When the other dog has had enough they let each other know.

Well said.
"They " that if you leave pups together until 12 weeks, there will be no nipping etc. at humans, when they go to their new homes. They learn , as you said, what is acceptable and what isn't.

lpguy06

Post by lpguy06 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Well we have been letting her play with just her sister without the other older puppy and they have been doing good. She definitely is more of a vocal dog than her sister.She still has little flareups but not near as bad as with the 4 mo old. She is very curious of the 11 yr old, she did get nipped when she ran up on her and tried jumping on her back.