Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:49 pm

I was going to post this in health and nutrition but figured I would get more responses in the general chat area. I came home tonight to find what looks like a lump on my pups chest but it is not a soft lump like a cyst or bite but it is hard more like the chest, ribs, or sternum seemed to drop down. This is an 8 week old pup who is in the kennel with her litter mates and is allowed out once a day when I get home from work for about an hour and allowed out twice a day on my days off for a couple of hours to run and play in my yard under my supervision all the time. The only time this injury or whatever it is could have occurred would have been sometime between 8am and 4:30pm today. It feels like the rib cage or sternum has dropped down for some reason but I have never experienced anything like this before. The pup is not affected by this in anyway. She does not act like it hurts, she still runs and plays just like normal and I only noticed this today and I handle all the pups on a daily basis so I would have noticed this if it had been there yesterday. I plan on monitoring her to see if it gets worse and take her to the vet on Thursday which is my first day off work. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated and like I stated before she is going to the vet on Thursday since it does not appear to be affecting her adversely. Here are some pics.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:59 pm

I'd say a diaphragmatic hernia ( incomplete closure of the wall). Common in young pups. I'm not a vet. I could be wrong. See the vet .

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 90&aid=442
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:30 pm

I assume you are referring to the large chest and not the small lump (looks like a hernia) on it's belly, right?
If so I have a dog that had that same thing as a pup. I was told it's called pigeon chested. He has almost grown out of it and now you can hardly tell.
It never affected any of his performance.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Looks like a diaphragmatic hernia to me also. It's genetic in Weims I don't know if it is in EP's.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:36 pm

The third picture shows it the best.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Ya I was talking about the large chest lump not the small hernia from the umbilical cord.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:50 am

I have never seen anything like that, but I hope it is nothing serious and/or costly. That is a nice looking pup tommy. I wish you the best with her.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:47 am

It looks like a puppy that is pigeon chested , try google for some information

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:03 am

That's interesting! The diaphragm is a muscle that divides the chest cavity from the abdominal cavity so, in humans at least, a diaphragmatic hernia...which is usually traumatic in nature...lets the abdominal organs get into the chest cavity causing pain and difficulty breathing..and sometimes death. I've seen a few of these from car wrecks and looked like no fun and needs treated immediately. Hernias, as a rule, should be soft because it's basically a split in the muscles of the abdominal wall that allows the "guts" to poke through. The only time hernias usually cause a problem is if the bowel gets trapped. I found a few examples of what your pictures looked like on the internet and they were described as "pigeon chest" or "sternal Callus"...the description of both were a hard bony malformation of the sternum. It didn't sound like it was life threatening or caused any performance issues. I'm just thinking out loud and have ZERO training with anything other than humans. Good Luck and hope it's nothing serious.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:20 am

diaphragmatic hernias are not visible

bowhunter1221975

Post by bowhunter1221975 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:37 pm

i would agree with postoakshorthairs i have seen this in humans. pigeon chested dogs dont norm cause problems but if you can get the pup to the vet to make sure it would be in his best intrast.
postoakshorthairs wrote:That's interesting! The diaphragm is a muscle that divides the chest cavity from the abdominal cavity so, in humans at least, a diaphragmatic hernia...which is usually traumatic in nature...lets the abdominal organs get into the chest cavity causing pain and difficulty breathing..and sometimes death. I've seen a few of these from car wrecks and looked like no fun and needs treated immediately. Hernias, as a rule, should be soft because it's basically a split in the muscles of the abdominal wall that allows the "guts" to poke through. The only time hernias usually cause a problem is if the bowel gets trapped. I found a few examples of what your pictures looked like on the internet and they were described as "pigeon chest" or "sternal Callus"...the description of both were a hard bony malformation of the sternum. It didn't sound like it was life threatening or caused any performance issues. I'm just thinking out loud and have ZERO training with anything other than humans. Good Luck and hope it's nothing serious.
RICHARD NANCE

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Depending on how it feels, it could be a fatty tumor, which is usually harmless.
big steve

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:00 pm

My dad had a doberman he had put down last year with cancerous tumors on him but this was not soft and gelatinous like the tumors were. I had a guy come by today and sold him another pup for his buddy up in South Dakota and when he felt it he said it felt like a rib or breast bone but it is strange, neither one of us had ever seen anything like it. She is going to the vet first thing in the morning so I will post back tomorrow afternoon or evening with a diagnosis and treatment. Thanks for all of the advice and info. on what everyone thinks it is and for all of the concern and compliments on the pup. Hopefully it is nothing too serious and we can get this taken care of quickly, easily and inexpensively.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:07 am

The only pup I have seen with an issue like this was a Vizsla that a guy I know has, the vet tol him it was a sternum issue and was a birth defect but would not cause the dog any issues, and to this point it has not caused him a single problem.

diane303

Post by diane303 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Grace Pointing BDB-3 LR.jpg
My English Pointer is pigeon chested. When I first got her it was pretty pronounced as she matured and filled out, it is usually not noticeable. She's built a lot of muscle around it and if you see her standing, she chest is quite beautiful. Only when she is sitting a certain way is it noticeable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Good news. It is a sternum issue but not life or health threatening. It was not a birth defect since it was not there at birth but could have been caused by playing, rough housing, or getting slammed by one of her littermates. My vet said that it will not affect her in any way and may even help her. The cartilage probably tore or stretched and the extra room created in the chest cavity by the sternum dropping down and the ribs expanding could actually allow the lungs more room to expand and allow more oxygen in and help her since she is an athlete as all bird dogs are and that this could be a benefit rather than a detriment. She also stated that she may grow into her chest and later on it may not even be noticeable. All ribs were still connected and unbroken and the sternum was still intact, just very pronounced and dropped down. Heart and lungs sounded good. No pain, no mobility problems, no loss of appetite, no problems breathing, everything was tip top. Doesn't look pretty but the pup is perfectly healthy. Thanks for all of the input and advice. I appreciate it very much. I had the vet in particular feel around the area where the node is in the sternum and that was definitely not the problem.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:22 pm

Very good, glad all is well TB72
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Tommyboy, glad it is nothing serious. I had never seen anything like that before. Here is a photo of my year old female that looks very similar to yours.
She is pointing wild birds with much more intensity than this photo where she is on a pigeon.

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:50 am

Glad pup is OK! Best of luck...

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:22 am

I thank everyone for the sentiments. It is greatly appreciated.

Tom

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Great news!!!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way