QU & QF Chapters

Pryor Creek Okie

QU & QF Chapters

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:12 pm

Maybe someone here can help me out. I will be returning to Texas from Iraq in a couple of months and would like to get involved with Quail Unlimited or Quail Forever. The problem is I don't know if there is a chapter nearby. The websites have chapters listed, but they have names like "Big Covey" and "Cross Timbers". There are no locations listed and most don't have any contact information. I have emailed a couple of the chapters with contact info as well as the national office, but have had no response. How can I find a chapter in the Killeen/Ft Hood area? Thanks, PCO.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Re: QU & QF Chapters

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:28 pm

I was involved with QU and that has always been the problem. I live in a very rural area and they have always wanted money, wanted us to have a banquet to make money, wanted us to enlist more members but were never willing to make a trip out to where I live from Missouri to work. I live in the Oklahoma panhandle. Half the town is in Oklahoma and half the town is in Texas and they have to come from Missouri to do anything with our chapter. You should think about stuff like that before you get involved. I am not saying do not get involved because the "idea" behind QU is very nice but in the end they are a large corporation and lobbyist group posing as a non-profit organization to make money and really they could care less if they actually do any habitat rehabilitation. That was another thing that really bothered me about QU is that they were "seemingly" willing to do habitat restoration but would never get behind the idea of population restoration meaning that if an area were barren of birds and you wanted to bring in a population of breeding birds they would not back the idea. Good luck in your search for a chapter though. I hope you find one better than I did.

Tom

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm involved in QF and the difference (I'm told) is that QF money stays with the local chapter for use and doesn't go back to the mother ship like QU. Sorry can't help with the ones in your area. Thanks for your service!

MARKB

Post by MARKB » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Try this Link:
http://www.quailforever.org/page/1/Find ... p?state=TX

I'm the President of the Southeastern Nebraska Chapter - Husker Covey

I say get invloved, we do a lot with Habitat upgrades especially on public grounds in our area, but we also do a lot with kids that would otherwise never be introduced to the outdoors.
Every spring we do a youth day, the kids get to fish, shoot a twenty-two, shoot a small shotgun, we have game calling, a birddog demonstration, and we have archery for the kids. We do this with help of the Izaac Walton league and the Nebraska Game and Parks, it's a huge hit !!! Every kid goes home with a new fishing pole that Scheel's All Sports donates and then we invite the kids and their parents to our fall Banquet. We feed them lunch. We have so many company's wanting to donate for this event a lot of times we have to turn them away till the next year !!

I can guarantee you that the money we raise is spent how we want to spend it, and it all stays local. We also donate money to the Nebarska Game and Parks "Walk in" program. Which is public access for hunters, that money is then matched 2:1 by the Game & Parks.

Like I've told a lot of my hunting friends, you don't have a right to complain about there not being birds unless you get involved and try to make a difference !!!

Good Luck,

Mark

whoa on 'em

Post by whoa on 'em » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:55 pm

Have you looked into starting a chapter?
Happiness is a warm gun.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:11 pm

first off welcome back... '07 i did a cruise to the gulf with the Nimitz strike group and last year i followed some EA6B prowlers out to Afghanistan. I'm a member of the Texas dog hunters association thenewtdha.com/tdha/default.htm they are a good group to get associated with as well as QU and QF. I'll do some research and see what i can turn up on the chapters. Take it easy. Dustin

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:04 am

Thanks for the help guys, but now it's looking as though I may not stay in Texas for very long. I have been offered an assignment elsewhere and I'm considering taking it, so I may be starting from scratch in a different state.
whoa on 'em wrote:Have you looked into starting a chapter?
I didn't really give that much thought because I never know how long I'm going to be stationed in one place. By the way, whoa on 'em, congrats on your recent accomplishment.

whoa on 'em

Post by whoa on 'em » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:08 am

PCO, I was just giving you a hard time. Is the new assignment in an area with good bird populations? I hope so, if not I know someone who would keep Belle for you. :wink:
About that accomplishment, thanks, you were instrumental in getting it under way.
Happiness is a warm gun.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:56 pm

whoa on 'em wrote:Is the new assignment in an area with good bird populations?
I don't want to talk about it yet because it's not official. I should know something this week.

whoa on 'em

Post by whoa on 'em » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:15 pm

well keep me posted
Happiness is a warm gun.