9 week old Brit pup in new runner

southernblues

9 week old Brit pup in new runner

Post by southernblues » Thu May 14, 2009 7:33 am

Hey all

Cool board -- lots of info.

Got me a 9 week old Brit pup. Got a 5x6x10 runner with nice doghouse/overheard tarp for him. I found on craigslist (new all that was about $375-400) for $125 used. Anyway I've had to patch a few of the holes from previous adult dog. He can't get out but sure is working hard to explore every possibility. My question is === I stood outside with the hose and had it on mist and would shoot in his general direction everytime he tried fitting his head or feet through the fence. Not pelting but enough to be annoying...is this OK? He's calmed down on trying to find his getaway route but thought I'd ask.

Also on another note, we have an American Cocker for the last 4 yrs. Very territorial. She's indoor dog but goes outside of course for bathroom. Pup never comes in...when they are outside together he's all up in her grill trying to get some play action, she's always acting tough. She's by no way bird dog and doesn't have the best habits per say (follows directions good but not trained on whoa, come, etc). Is it bad to have these 2 around each other for short periods of time? I figure it gives pup something socialize with outside of me and kids..

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: 9 week old Brit pup in new runner

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 14, 2009 8:13 am

The mist is okay. We use water pretty effectively to discourage dogs from barking.

Socialization with other dogs is good. It won't hurt to have the two around each other. As you know, just keep an eye on the older dog for a while. Normally older dogs may act gruff with a puppy but most often tolerate the puppy's antics very well.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Fri May 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Thanks!

I've got a 15 acre field behind our house -- we usually walk around the field for 20 mins at a time 2-3 times per day. Can't wait for him to get bigger -- reading Delmar's book right now and waiting to put the check cord and training stuff until 12 weeks.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Using water works well in my experience.
No problem letting pup socialize with the other dog.
If pup can't come in the house make sure you spend LOTS of time with pup. jmo
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat May 16, 2009 8:24 am

southernblues wrote:Hey all

Cool board -- lots of info.

Got me a 9 week old Brit pup. Got a 5x6x10 runner with nice doghouse/overheard tarp for him. I found on craigslist (new all that was about $375-400) for $125 used. Anyway I've had to patch a few of the holes from previous adult dog. He can't get out but sure is working hard to explore every possibility. My question is === I stood outside with the hose and had it on mist and would shoot in his general direction everytime he tried fitting his head or feet through the fence. Not pelting but enough to be annoying...is this OK? He's calmed down on trying to find his getaway route but thought I'd ask.

Also on another note, we have an American Cocker for the last 4 yrs. Very territorial. She's indoor dog but goes outside of course for bathroom. Pup never comes in...when they are outside together he's all up in her grill trying to get some play action, she's always acting tough. She's by no way bird dog and doesn't have the best habits per say (follows directions good but not trained on whoa, come, etc). Is it bad to have these 2 around each other for short periods of time? I figure it gives pup something socialize with outside of me and kids..
care to mention the breeding-

9 weeks is a good time- I've used the water hose to discourage- works well- also- you might put the nozzel at spray and hide out of sight where you can turn it on- has worked when they know they'll get wet when you're out of sight

any particular reason you aren't allowing the pup in the house-

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Sat May 16, 2009 10:32 am

Partial pedigree -- gma and gpa on mothers side and the dad (Southwestern Buzz). Waiting on mom's pedigree sheet (although I have the dam's parents). Let me know what you think on the pedigree

http://picasaweb.google.com/southernblues/DogPedigree#

As for keeping in house - I travel for work and getting my kids and wife to follow through on the type of discipline (or should I say dedication and patience) wouldn't be consistent. He is pretty much in the runner at night and let out early AM, mid morning, early pm and evening for anywhere 30 mins to 1 hr each time. Very respondent to me, all I have to do is pick up the hose and he stops barking and climbing fence. Very smart fella.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat May 16, 2009 2:44 pm

pretty good breeding- I'm big in the Beans Blaze and Lobo line- my female has 5 crosses to Beans Blaze

my pups father is NFC/FC/AFC Shadow

was just curious is all-

mine have all been house dogs- think it makes a difference as they've wanted to be close- they need the attention and closeness- also very good in the water

do you have a picture of the pup you can put up here

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat May 16, 2009 8:52 pm

One night the dogs in my kennel would not quit barking. I would go and yell, and they would start right back up again. Hours. I work 12 hours shifts and I was not terribly patient. I was getting very sick of it and finally went and put the sprinkler on angled toward the kennels and turned all the houses away so they would be dry in the kennels. Everybody ran in the house and I left it that way all night. Very quiet night and very wet in the morning.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun May 17, 2009 6:05 am

:lol: that's a good one-

used to have cats walk the fence top, about the only time Britt's got worked up- so I just possitioned the spray nozzle to catch the cat- had the water control by the kitchen sliding door- cats stopped walking the fence

then a nieghbor kid would poke sticks thru the privacy fence to stir them up- I repositioned the nozzle to spray along the outside of the fence- should have seen him run- then come back- then run- priceless- mother came over- I showed her-

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun May 17, 2009 9:55 am

southernblues wrote:As for keeping in house - I travel for work and getting my kids and wife to follow through on the type of discipline (or should I say dedication and patience) wouldn't be consistent. .
I know the feeling here too. I can cram alot of hours working the shifts I do, and the spouse seems to be less able to keep an eye on the kids and dogs too... So with the reliable house dogs we're fine, but with a puppy they usually are outside inside while I at home, which still gives them a solid 4 days and then the rest about 1/3 of the day until they get the trick and are solidly asking (CLEARLY! and able to wait) to go out. :roll:

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Sun May 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Shadow wrote:
do you have a picture of the pup you can put up here

Here are some pics from this weekend. Never thought getting good pics of a young pup would be so hard. Doesn't like to sit still
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon May 18, 2009 6:36 am

nice markings- think you'll find those eyes are the key- comunications/understanding

think you like all that excitement in an 11 week-