new life on the farm

Shadow

new life on the farm

Post by Shadow » Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 am

from living in town for the last 29 years to on the farm- interesting life

brought 6 quail with me- let two males loose while 4 others paired up, making nest and laying eggs, eggs were being scattered arround- so I was gathering them and placing them in a homemade incubator- then the two pairs started laying eggs in two nest and tending the nest-

Word is a fellow let loose some Blue Quail a few years ago- one keeps coming arround to visit
figure I might succeed with hatching eggs and letting them loose when grown- help repopulate the area- doesn't seem to be a predator problem on the farm so it could work

then my two Britt's came together- so might have a litter of pups and quail chicks- could be interesting

southernblues

Re: new life on the farm

Post by southernblues » Fri May 15, 2009 7:12 am

Sweet pics. Farm reminds me of western KS. Diggin the Gleaner combine...my grandfather was huge Allis guy, when I was a kid he bought a "K" Gleaner. Said it stood for Kadillac.

Nice Britts, too.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri May 15, 2009 8:38 am

thanks- SW corner of Kansas- very dry country down here- looking to pickup some sort of Britt freindly swimming pool- maybe one of those WallMart ones- mine like the water- renting this place- not a farmer- but it's nice country for uplands- owners are starting to till the gound- big wheat field 70 yards south of the house- male eats it up- going to have to work a bit at bringing him in as he's found that he likes to get out there past 1/4 mile- better picture

Streenie79

Post by Streenie79 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:24 am

Hi Shadow,

Welcome; good to see you on this site and glad to hear you're getting settled in at your new location. Not surprised to hear young Shadow is tearing up the fields and ranging out there....I would imagine that's a bit of his daddy in him! Is Candy liking the farm life as well?

Looking forward to hearing if Candy truly has a litter of pups in tow....you guys will really have a good time with it if she does :D !

Streenie79

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri May 15, 2009 12:05 pm

well hello Streenie- nice to see you here also- just like old times on- what's the name of that place :roll:

I've not tried to corral Shadow- pretty much just let him develope his own range last year in pheasants- but criminy sakes! 3/4 mile is out there- think it's time to let him know he needs to be in closer- darn fella locked up way out- sheese

I put the Garmin on him to see how fast he is
yeh- his daddy alright- he's pretty skinny right now- course that has a bit to do with all the excitement of Candy being in heat- she just came out- it's been a bit rough these last few days- he hasn't been eating too well

you ought to see Candy- dust flies as she spots him on the go- she does pretty good- but she also stops to watch a bit

had to check out to make sure there wasn't a road way out there-
thinking of buying a quad

Shadow sneaks up on the quail cage- when I open the door to put food in his head is right there- 8)

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:07 pm

Not a Farmer ? raisen dog & birds ? not a farmer Ha!

Right like old times Shadow-Me &Streenie way to go people. School is just about finished YA !!

Mav 57
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri May 15, 2009 3:35 pm

well heck Maveric- could be a farmer- not since childhood in the north country have i experienced so much peace and quiet

coyotes came by the other evening- yipping and making all sorts of noise- so I grabbed my canon and went out- need a full moon-

bought a push mower- big area but I've been attacking the tall grass/crap/tumbleweeds and such- then I sit in the yard swing and sip a cold one- ahhhhhhhhh the life of a farmer- Britt's are having a problem- almost everywhere they are picking up sand burrs- sort of funny- they come back to me on three feet

just think- I might have a bunch of young Britt pups to turn loose on this field- course it might not hurt to let a tame quail or two loose :D