age for e-collar

Gridiron and Grouse

age for e-collar

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:39 am

I have a few questions regarding at what age e-collar use should and can begin. I have a 6 month old Vizsla. I know V's are considered softer dog, so I didn't know when the appropriate age to introduce the e-collar is. I know she knows the "here" command. She comes 100 percent of the time on the checkcord, and until recently she came almost every time when she was off of the cord. At what age should the introduction to the e-collar begin for the "here" command.

Secondly, when can you begin to use it for trash breaking. Deer poop, dead animals, anything else she wants to carry around, eat, or roll in. Thanks in advance.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: age for e-collar

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:38 am

Biggest thing with the collars is how you prep a dog to understand cues and the nice thing is the newer e collars of today having lower levels of stimulation

the E collar should never be anything more then the check cord just invisible

at this point I would put the e collar on and start training yourself for cue times leave the collar turned off and then walk around if no follow through tap the button then back up the tap with the e collar ...remember this is your training then when your comfortable with the rhythm then turn on the collar and I prefer to use quarter commands to start the e collar keep the dog moving and not a come and stop

then I will work in to here

figure a metohd that works for you and stick with it I like taps for go and constant for whoa

as for trash breaking

when you do this...only zoom up in level hit the dog while in full more after the animal when they stop the chase stop stimulation most important thing DO NOT SAY A WORD when you pressing the button and DO NOT Acknowledge the dog when/if he comes back to you and walks at your side just pretend like nothing happened and keep on moving

bottom line though it really isn't the age it is the process that will indicate how ready a dog is for anything
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.