Dog/Horse Art Opinion

gar-dog

Dog/Horse Art Opinion

Post by gar-dog » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:04 pm

My brother-in-law is an architect but does some artwork on the side. He has done a few animals that are very interesting. Do you think there would be a market for commissioned paintings of dogs and horses in this style? See below dog, goat, and elephant.

I am interested in your opinions. Thanks!
Gary

texscala

Re: Dog/Horse Art Opinion

Post by texscala » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:47 pm

I like the work and think there could be a market out there somewhere but I am not sure that the bird dog world is where it would be.

The problem I see is that the art is visually stimulating and interesting but it is a bit abstract. When I want a piece of art work to remember a dog by I want it to look as much like my dog as possible and would prefer a more "realistic" portrayal.

I do think the elephant piece would be nice to hang up in an African trophy room but I can't see the dog pic in my dog hunting decor.

Again I do like the art just not sure I would pay for my own piece.

If you can put up the pics he used to do the work. I would like to see how he does it.

High Roll-N-Angel

Post by High Roll-N-Angel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:53 pm

I like the dog, and that would look cool in a stained glass format, which is kinda what the painting looks like. I'm not a goat or elephant fan, sorry. Has he ever done a quail or pheasant? Can he customize the paintings to a specific dog or breed?

I'm not sure about a market for commissioned paintings as I really don't know anything about that market. He could solicit himself to dog breed or trial clubs for artwork for raffles or prizes? I don't know? Could also contact Humane societies or Breed rescue groups and offer a painting as a raffle/prize for fund raiser to get his name out there or check interest.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:51 am

I can see something like it for safari club types or abstract logo type work

looks neat

that is the first impression I get from it
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:00 am

Texcala - You got to the heart of my question... given that it is impressionistic and not photo-real, would people commission for a specific dog. Or even if it were not one's specific dog, would someone be interested in one that is clearly his/her breed. I would be interested to see if he could capture individual characteristics and nuances of different dogs.

High Roll - He can paint any breed and could do birds as well. When he designs houses for people he will often do their dog or pet and give it to them as a housewarming.

He and my sister are in town visiting and he showed me these pics and I just think it is really unusual. He said he would do my dog for me. I just think he may be on to something. Thanks for the comments knine.

More comments appreciated.

fire angel

Post by fire angel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:50 am

My experience with commissioned portraits is that the owner wants as close of a representation as possible. That being said there still could be a market for it, I am not sure.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:02 am

Seriously
Commercial logo's and custom signature logos

safari club..that elephant...i can see that as a print and similar stuff to go with it as lead glass lamps ..etched end tables...entire room themes in office's & homes
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.