The 2009 National Bird Dog Championship (started Mon. Feb 9)

R-Heaton

Re: The 2009 National Bird Dog Championship (started Mon. Feb 9)

Post by R-Heaton » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:27 am

BoJack wrote:That was posted by Jim Machaletz Jetsetter's owner last week on another board, after the draw.And makes Sense to me,How about you
Nah,,,, that doesn't make sense,, but I see his reasoning. For one you are putting all the odds on the fact there is only going to be one good brace. That is not true,,, in the two weeks they are going to run,,, could be several braces that are ideal and I would bet money on the fact that the birds are going to move around more than once in two weeks. Now if you were simply stating the odds of getting a good brace for a setter,,, yea I see his logic,,, obviously being braced together with there only being two dogs changed those odds by half. Pretty good thinking from a couple of dumb house builders. Jim stayed with me for a week when his truck was broke down on one of his west coast swings.
BoJack wrote:"I can't think of a Setter that has even finished the 3 hours in a long time" What's your thinking behind the reason they haven't finished in a long time?
Same as my reasoning with every other dog that doesn't finish,,,, it wasn't getting it done on that given day. Not a breed thing just an "any given day thing". My take "probably wrong" but is the dog has to be clean the whole way through,,, so soon as they have a dog that is clean,,, you have that to top. So if you have a dog that has a clean first 30 minutes and your dog doesn't, its time to pick up,,, handlers can't play catch up and hope for a great finish or great middle,,, its gotta be clean or at least better than the leader at any given time in order to keep the dog down. If your trying to narrow your conclusion down to a setter can't run with the pointers,,,, spend some time at the Robertson Ranch. Saw D Favor with a gsp go head to head with Murrays Rustler a few years back,,,,, anything can happen on any given day,,,,, not a breed thing "a train hard and show up on game day" thing.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:20 am

Looks like Jim's dog will have good weather. I believe his dog runs in the second brace today. I hope the two dogs, handlers, and scouts have a great day.
Dіck

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:39 am

Heaton Wrote:
anything can happen on any given day,,,,, not a breed thing "a train hard and show up on game day" thing.
Yep I agree
Dog On Point!!

Flush

Post by Flush » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:34 am

BoJack wrote:Flush Wrote:
it does prove a convenient excuse if you run anything other than a Pointer and don't want to face reality. I say that as a Setter guy.
Reality of What??
The Reality of the fact you got beat plain and simple by a better performance that day and it had nothing to do with breed.

You run a pointer in an AF trial and you can't blame your loss on breed bias. You run a setter or GSP or whatever and when your dog get beats fairly it's pretty easy to deny the reality of what actually happened and say the judges screwed you.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:44 am

Flush,
Yep I agree
Dog On Point!!

jgf@gratiot

Post by jgf@gratiot » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:14 pm

The chances of a Setter winning the National were at least cut in 1/2 when both drew the same brace last night. Did we draw the magical brace, when the birds will be moving? Before last night the Shags had a 2 in 20 chance on a good brace unless drawn together. Now they have a 1 in 20.
Made sense because you were running two dogs, no matter what at the same time on the same day, thus putting luck of any draw to rest unless it was the best day to run. By that I mean if weather would have been crappy or birds were put out tommorrow, both would have been eliminated today, where as say one today, and one on monday, they would have had two different oppurtunities instead of one in the same. Not as an excuse, but we all know some days are better bird days than other, same as weather, just different to make a point when there are 2 out of 41 you are trying to make the claim for, even though all the other dogs have these same challenges. Same would be true if you were say an owner of two pointers being run in this trial. Would you want them both braced together or would you rather run on different days increasing your odds of one of those days being better than the other. Its not an excuse its just the fact of the matter!

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:46 pm

More Contenders steppin up,Game and Jet,Sounds like Jet laid down a good one also, including going the distance,Great.
Dog On Point!!

gunner

Post by gunner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:34 pm

2009 National Bird Dog Champion, Lester's Snowatch

http://www.amesplantation.org/field-tri ... winner.asp

Pedigree of the new Champion...
(scroll down)
http://www.wildcoveykennel.com/dog.php?dogID=2

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:52 pm

Good Stuff Gunner. Oh yea the books great. Congrats to Snow Watch and Gary, and Ike.
Hey isn't Snowatch's dam a littermate to Sir Lancelot........?.HMMMMM..... :D :wink:

Chip

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:43 am

An amateur handled white dog from Kentucky winning the National Championship?

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:26 am

Big Dave wrote:An amateur handled white dog from Kentucky winning the National Championship?
Thats right! No question about it.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper