I can handle bird dogs but the new girl is different!

aylaschamp

I can handle bird dogs but the new girl is different!

Post by aylaschamp » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:17 pm

I run 3 GSPs and my girlfriend has a old old old lab. I've had bird dogs longer than any other breed of dog so when she told me she wanted another dog to replace her lab I just figured it'd be a hunting dog! Well, it's a huntin dog! Just not the kind I've been around! I hope this is ok to post on this forum, it is a hunting dog but not a gun dog. They use them to hunt with knives. This pup has to be the most amazing dog I've ever owned! I'm just looking to find anyone that's dealt with Dogos before. They have some really strange behavior issues I'm not used to and hoped someone can offer some advice. So far I'm trying to bold up this pup, it's almost like someone has beaten it! If anyone has ever dealt with these dogs please let me know. Here are a few picks of Lilly, she's 5 months old and looks and acts like she's been in a kennel all her life.

dudleysmith

Re: I can handle bird dogs but the new girl is different!

Post by dudleysmith » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:28 pm

that is one mean looking dog. went and looked them up. I had never heard of them before but i would not want to mess with one. i bet you will never have another dog pick on yours now.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:13 am

you dog is very nice looking. My only experience was at a rare breed show where there was a very aggressive/protective one causing a scene. I am the last one on earth to have a breed biased so I wish you luck and hope you will keep us posted. Sounds like you have an opposite dog than the one I saw, and she looks to be fitting into the household well.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:14 am

Honestly, she's 5 months old and is as big as my GSPs. All of them boss her around. She is a much more mellow breed of dog than I'm used to. She's perfectly content to lay on me and chill out when all the others rough house, When she does find something she WANTS she doesn't let go unless you tell her to. Aside from being gorgeous, she really is a incredibly perfect dog. If she ever figures out how powerful she is she might be a menace but I think the others will keep her in her place at least for now???

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:28 am

I'd be awfully laid back too if I had to wear a pink collar!!! :oops:
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:52 am

Don wrote:I'd be awfully laid back too if I had to wear a pink collar!!! :oops:
That's my girlfriends attempt to make her look feminine. Pink collar with dog bone accents????? Not to mention the fact that she wants her to sleep in OUR bed so if she whines(which she never does) she'll hear her. I've never had a 5 month old pup that only tinkles twice in a day if your lucky and whines when she needs to poo. She's frickin lazy! I ran her with the others yesterday and she's building confidence. She has some of the biggest toes I've ever seen on a dog???? Yet, she hasn't gone swimming! Thanks for looking but if you guys or girls know anyone that has one of these dogs put me in touch, I've got a ton of questions. Thanks.

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:20 am

What kind of dog is she? How big will she get?
Randy B

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Aylaschamp, I am quite familiar with Dogos & had a friend who raised, showed and did competing (obedience, schutzhund) them for years(he also had dogue de borduex, "Hooch" dogs). I really like the breed. I know a guy down south who hunts wild boar with them, many boar hunters use BMC's as bay dogs and Dogos as catch dogs.
Dogos are extremely intelligent and very protective/loyal to their family, and are known to be laid back in the house. They are a combination of The Cordoba, great dane, spanish mastiff, great pyrenees, POINTER, Irish wolfhound and dogue de bordeux.
As they are a pack dog when hunting, dog aggression is considered a very bad thing amongst good breeders and not tolerated. (they are unfortunately a breed you see occasionally in the fighting circuit, raised to be aggressive which they should NOT be) Mind you, they need proper socialization and obedience as a pup though. They go between 80 and 110 generally as adults. They tend not to start fights with other dogs, but are not a dog to back down, males should be very socailized with their own sex growing up to prevent issues.
They are used in military and police work and for tracking as well as big game hunting, bear, boar and big cats. I haven't seen one yet that wasn't great with kids and very loyal to it's family.
I don't know how long you've had your pup, it could be she is just still settling in, perhaps she wasn't socialized enough (don't know the breeder, so won't venture to say thats it), or maybe she is just at the age to be going through a fear phase coupled with settling into a new home. Give her some time to adjust and get her out, I'm betting she will come around for you!

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:02 am

That sounds like a good home protector! My gsp is 55 lbs at 6 months and a week i hope he doesnt become 80 ouch!
Randy B

Benny

Post by Benny » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:05 am

Ditto on Zodiak's call. I'm sorry I don't know anyone that's had one, but I remember my huntin' buddy telling me about them one day on the way to deer camp. Said he wanted to move up to Alaska and get a dogo and hunt everything with it, which is what they're meant for. My buddy is a psycho, though and has two pet alligators.
Socialize, socialize, socialize...and then socialize some more. Good thing he'll be growing up around other dogs.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:10 am

Dogos tend to be a very confident breed, they are also a VERY HIGH PREY DRIVE dog, when I say very high I really mean some are off the charts high drive dogs. Pretty much echo what was said above most need a good deal of socialization to be trustworthy with strangers etc.

I lost my big American Bulldog and I have been seriously considering getting a dogo to replace him. Did you get your dog from a dogo kennel? If so which one?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:22 am

I found this for you.

The Dogo is a natural guardian, and will guard it's family and what it perceives as it's home fiercely against intruders. Care needs to be taken to introduce friends or visitors to your Dogo, and they should be warned not to approach your Dogo without you present.

The temperament of a TRUE Dogo Argentino is very predictable:
"Once we have greeted an unknown person, or the person sees him in our company....the Dogo should never show unfriendliness towards that person, unless of course, that person directly attacks us....however brave a guardian he may be, when he has understood that the visitor is welcome in the home, he will never try to bite this person." - Agustin Nores Martinez, translated from "The Argentine Dogo"

Another quote from one of it's creators that gives insight into the guardian aspect of the Dogo:
"There is a distinct difference between having a Dogo Argentino as a guardian and having a dog of another breed: If a thief enters your house at night and you have any other dog you know there is a thief because the dog barks; if you have a Dogo, you know there is an intruder because you hear him yell." - Agustin Nores Martinez, also translated from "The Argentine Dogo"

As you can see the Dogo can be both a loving, gentle family companion or a valiant hunter/guardian, whichever the situation calls for. It is important to understand these different aspects of the Dogo, as both are an inseparable part of what makes a TRUE Dogo Argentino Please continue on to the History of the Dogo Argentino, or learn about our experiences Hunting with the Dogo Argentino.

If you want to learn more about the Dogo Argentino's temperament then please click on the "Continue" button, below. This leads us to what we consider the most impressive aspect of the Dogo Argentino - it's "Dual Nature".......

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:34 pm

As you can see from the pics in the link, your dog will be VERY large. Unless you and your partner are in charge , he will assume that position. I advise professional training support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_Dogo
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:38 pm

When we originally looked into the breed we read all we could find about them. They are so rare though that I've never seen one in person. She's had a few quirks that I was wanting to ask someone that's been around them about. First, their feet! These fingers on this dog are HUGE! Second, drooling! In the house she's fine but when I load her in the truck and go somewhere she looks like someone turned the faucet on. Her layed back personality is a drastic change from my GSPs. She puts up with them and is even starting to play with the pup. She's only been here for 3 days and every one of them she's coming out of her shell a bit more. Barking and growling aren't for her. I'm learning slowly with her and enjoying a dog that I can do so much with. She won't replace my GSPs but she's way different. I'm working hard on the prey drive, she's not showing much yet but I'll give her time.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:42 pm

Sharon wrote:As you can see from the pics in the link, your dog will be VERY large. Unless you and your partner are in charge , he will assume that position. I advise professional training support.
Aggression and dominance are two things I will not tolerate from any dog any size! Honestly when it comes to this dog I'd love her to bold up some though. Her lack of socialization prior to us is quite evident.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:54 pm

As devoted as most dogos are to their owner, dominance aggresion shouldnt be a problem, the prey drive will come but it might be awhile.

The drooling when traveling is probably due to stress of the situation, dogos should be a "dry mouthed" breed, at least the few I have been around, once she get more comfortable in the car that should stop or at least be tolerable.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:21 pm

A real working dogo, I dont know this dog, but I do know he is hunted hard for hogs in Texas, I really like the way he looks.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Why did she get "this breed of" dog? Have either of you dealt with a breed with the types of qualities wanted in this type of dog? Will you be hunting with this dog? Hogs or what not will you do events with this dog? This breed strikes me to be like the Catahoula (excuse the spelling). As with any Mastiff or Pitbull type breeds, as mentioned before Socialation and activity are highly recomended. Enjoy.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:53 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Why did she get "this breed of" dog? Have either of you dealt with a breed with the types of qualities wanted in this type of dog? Will you be hunting with this dog? Hogs or what not will you do events with this dog? This breed strikes me to be like the Catahoula (excuse the spelling). As with any Mastiff or Pitbull type breeds, as mentioned before Socialation and activity are highly recomended. Enjoy.

Rick

Well, we decided on this breed for her because I have bird dogs and we live out in the sticks. We needed a dog with a protective side but also to be an amazing family companion. When I go out of town She wants to feel safe. My bird dogs are good dogs but they're not really pets. If Lilly shows any signs of prey drive I plan on working her on tracking and possibly hogs. I also know for a fact my gal will do every type of show/event she can find to compete the dog. Your liking this breed to Mastiffs, pits and Catahoulas is fair but a bit unjust. From owning Catahoulas in the past, she is nothing like them. Again I haven't seen other Dogos but if they are all bread to be like this one they truly are a unique breed. It's hard for me to descriptively explain but she's truly a genteel dog. I'd like to thank all of you for your input and all of the first hand experiences any of you have had.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:35 pm

I just had to post a few more pics! This was our V-day present to each other(mainly my gift to her for putting up with all the bird dogs) so I wanted to show you all how happy my gals are,
hows that for a pair???

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:03 am

Cute pics! Learn something new everyday - never heard of that type of breed before... Overall, You had the best intentions in mine - making a woman happy! What a Goood Man..... :D
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:28 am

aylaschamp wrote:
Sharon wrote:As you can see from the pics in the link, your dog will be VERY large. Unless you and your partner are in charge , he will assume that position. I advise professional training support.
Aggression and dominance are two things I will not tolerate from any dog any size! Honestly when it comes to this dog I'd love her to bold up some though. Her lack of socialization prior to us is quite evident.
You are working with a dog that has the qualities to be aggressive as she gets older and more confident. The young dogs that are somewhat shy acting are the ones that normally do get cross and hard to handle. I don't think I would try to get her to be more aggressive as that will come naturally.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Ezzy, my intentions by bolding her up are purely in the same sense as bolding up a bird dog pup. Socially right now she's like a pup that has had no socialization and lacks awareness of the great outdoors. Boldness is probably the wrong term maybe confidence is a better word to describe what she needs. Time and patience I'm sure will help her and I a bunch but if I knew anyone else with this breed it would help me determine whether her traits, good and bad, are breed traits or evidence of improper treatment as a pup.

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Ive loved this dogos since the first time i saw one and hope to have one some day. that is one cute pup.
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Some more hopefully helpful info.

http://www.dogo.org/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:02 pm

I've sent in my info to get onto the forum but haven't heard back from them. I'm waiting on an email for conformation. I'm not sure and it didnt say anything on there but I may have to be a member of the DCOA to get on it?

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:22 pm

By the way this is how aggressive she is. Can you believe she'd eat a 2 month old Jack Russel?? :mrgreen:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:29 pm

I didn't want to say anymore then I have but........ :) Any concerns expressed have not been about the Dogo as a pup. They have been about the Dogo as a teenager/adult. It's great you are enjoying your pup. That's the way it should be. But continue to be realistic about possible concerns as the dog grows.

PS I've always had a Jack Russell. I'm not surprised at your pics. - they are great. The JRT doesn't back down either. :)

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:46 pm

Sharon wrote:I didn't want to say anymore then I have but........ :) Any concerns expressed have not been about the Dogo as a pup. They have been about the Dogo as a teenager/adult. It's great you are enjoying your pup. That's the way it should be. But continue to be realistic about possible concerns as the dog grows.

PS I've always had a Jack Russell. I'm not surprised at your pics. - they are great. The JRT doesn't back down either. :)
Sharon, your concerns are duly noted. This dog is the biggest chicken I've ever seen. When all the other dogs growl she cowers and hides. I am aware of what your saying but this dog or breed is the most passive I've ever dealt with. ANY aggression will be dealt with in a swift manner and not tolerated. Right now I have a bigger issue with my GSP and the older Jack. As you know they don't back down and neither will my female GSP.