Who do you think will win at Ames?

Mr. Crappie

Who do you think will win at Ames?

Post by Mr. Crappie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Just wondering who you think might win at the nationals Grand Junction this year? I'm rooting for Snowatch. He's a great dog and Gary is a very nice man.

dudleysmith

Re: Who do you think will win at Ames?

Post by dudleysmith » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:28 pm

the dog that draws early before the birds gets scattered.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Jetsetter or Heyu too Pete :lol:
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

scotly50

Post by scotly50 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:43 pm

I would like to see BB's Pike win it. Or if Harpeth Valley Hawk is qualified, it would not bother me too see him win either. I feel he got the shaft a couple of years back, He should already have a National title.

If neither of those, I would like to see Snowatch win. That dog dialed in right now, and running really well.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:03 am

I am a Phillips supporter and would like to see White Powder Pete pull it out this year...VERY close last year...If not, maybe newcomer Phillips White Twist.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:07 am

I'm pulling for Sean and Erin's Bad River, however Mr. Huffman and his Whipporwill dogs have the numbers as well.

Chip

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:35 pm

3rd brace is the exact same as the 2nd brace last year. this is where the winner came from last year. both setters are running on Fri 13th together.

jgf@gratiot

Post by jgf@gratiot » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:01 pm

2 Setters in the whole thing and they end up together, such odds. Hopefully they make some noise :D

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:45 am

I Know I'm cheering for the setters, GO Jetsetter! What are the odds the only two setters out of 40 dogs get braced together!

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:31 am

I see quite a few braces that will be more than interesting, the 2 setters, 2 previous NC in the same brace, Lancelot and War Dance in the same brace, Strut and Pete braced together, just all the way down the line it looks good to me. I guess I did not pay attention before but I see now where Allen Vincent is running 5 dogs this year, that's pretty impressive.

Chip

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:23 am

I'm rooting for either of the setters though If I'd have to pick one I'll say Hytest Skyhawk.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:35 pm

I always find it kinda of interesting,, people say its alot of politics back there,,, but from what have read the past 5 years or so,,,, the dog with the most finds wins?

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:08 pm

lancelot was near Natonial 11 point !! I have a Lance dog (not my avatar ) and I am byas.

Oscar CHávez

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:21 am

41 quality animals. It's anyone's game. A lot of luck involved as you know. Lester's Snowatch seems to have had a pretty good year so far. Wild Agin you know is more than capable. I'm looking for Gamemaker to make some noise again. He had about 8 finds last year in it. I'll be pulling for him. He's a littermate to my dogs momma. I'll be rooting for him :D
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:26 am

I am rooting for Clower's Thunder Strike, Lester's Snowatch, Hytest Skyhawk, Jetsetter, In the Shadow, & B B's Pike.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:44 pm

With the talent and experience of the dogs and handlers there it could be a toss up.Though it's his first time there don't count out Bad River.He has the potential and is a Contender in my book.Any of the Whipporwill dogs are a definate threat.Could be Strut's year also.Time will tell.
Dog On Point!!

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Bad River has been to the dance before

08 National

Erin's Bad River Sean Derrig
Bannockburn, Illinois Sean Derrig
Miller's On Line Mike Furney, Panama City Beach, Florida & Chip McEwen, Alva, Florida Rick Furney
Mid-40s to start. Erin's Bad River had two stops to flush, one find and an unproductive. Miller's On Line was out of contention at 60.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:16 pm

dudleysmith worte:Bad River has been to the dance before

Didn't even realize that.Well maybe he'll Dance to the Big House this year
Dog On Point!!

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Not many birds found today, and rain is in the forecast for Tues. and Wednesday. Snowatch runs Thursday and I bet it will be a good day. Go Snowatch!!!!!!!!!

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Just wondering. I have no idea about trialing. How come there is only two setters and no gsp's at Ames? Take it easy on me!! just was curious.

MIke

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:00 am

Mike...in a nutshell, there are only certain trials that qualify the dogs to run at Ames....they are dominated by pointers and salted with some setters and I would bet to say no GSPs run in them...Now the "Why..." can be answered by others...

Chicken Dog

Post by Chicken Dog » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:59 am

PntrRookie wrote:Mike...in a nutshell, there are only certain trials that qualify the dogs to run at Ames....they are dominated by pointers and salted with some setters and I would bet to say no GSPs run in them...Now the "Why..." can be answered by others...
I would say it is because GSP's, as most of the other continental breeds, are a different type of dog. They have primarily been developed to be a foot hunting dog, not a horseback hunting dog. Also, they run in their own stakes, and many are AKC and not FDSB.

gunner

Post by gunner » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 am

Quote:
"They (GSP) have primarily been developed to be a foot hunting dog, not a horseback hunting dog.

What would you think the percentage is of the number of pointers raised that are developed and used for horseback field trials vs the percentage of pointers used as foot hunting bird dogs?

Very few pointers percentage wise would be my guess as those pointers developed for horseback field trials compared to all the pointer pups raised as foot hunting bird dogs.

Many do both.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:03 am

I would say there are alot more pointers bred and trained for foot hunting as opposed to horseback dogs. It takes a real special dog to compete in horseback stakes and only a select few see the day.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:14 am

Birddog you don't really want to go there, I'll just say that linching is not exculsive to the KKK.

cgbirddogs

Post by cgbirddogs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:38 am

Joe Amatulli wrote:Birddog you don't really want to go there, I'll just say that linching is not exculsive to the KKK.
LOL...you never lied. GSP folks have their own games and most are not at all interested in competing against Pointers/Setters in their games. Some of their horseback stakes have HUGE entries, and their top bred trial dogs bring top dollar, more than Pointers and Setters in some locales. Out West, there seems to be more GSP's entered in stakes typically dominated by Pointers and Setters. I rode a few braces at the Arizona Shooting Dog Championship this past week, and Dan Hoke (GSP man) had some of his charges running. When I owned Ch. Sierra View Molly, PF, and she won the Oregon Shooting Dog Championship, the runner up was Dunfar's Where Have You Ben, a GSP ran by Dan Hoke. So it happens.

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:52 am

That may be true out west, but it is far from true in the east. Got to go answer the front door, there is a guy there with a rope, wonder what he wants.

Chicken Dog

Post by Chicken Dog » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:01 am

gunner wrote:Quote:
"They (GSP) have primarily been developed to be a foot hunting dog, not a horseback hunting dog.

What would you think the percentage is of the number of pointers raised that are developed and used for horseback field trials vs the percentage of pointers used as foot hunting bird dogs?

Very few pointers percentage wise would be my guess as those pointers developed for horseback field trials compared to all the pointer pups raised as foot hunting bird dogs.

Many do both.
I am not talking about developing and used for horseback trials.
Many people hunt from horseback. On the plantations, In TX, OK, KS, and many states out west. Thats how I hunt.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:04 am

I know a few out west that hunt from HB running GSPS & they just might surprise you. :D

Chicken Dog

Post by Chicken Dog » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:06 am

vzkennels wrote:I know a few out west that hunt from HB running GSPS & they just might surprise you. :D
Not me, and Dan Hoke is a friend. I have seen his dogs in action.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:26 pm

I have a friend not far from me(in the East)who has one(Shorthair) he's been nurturing for a couple of years,and knows how to do it.He already has open placements in all breed stakes.The first time I seen him run I had to push my hat out of my eyes and take my sun glasses off.He'll run as big as the country and looks good doing it.And when he slams his birds he Slams 'em.He is definately a future all age contender.With some luck and barring Politics(what's the odds of that?)He could make it to Ames and show good.
Focused Shorthair breeders the same as Pointer and Setter breeders has come a Long way in the last 30 years.There are some legitimate contenders out there that need more exposure in the open stakes.What may hold some of the owners and handlers back is the P word again.We all know it's out there.But the honest,knowledgable judges out there should and some do place the Best dog.
Dog On Point!!

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:39 pm

BoJack wrote:Focused Shorthair breeders the same as Pointer and Setter breeders has come a Long way in the last 30 years
Interesting BoJack,,,, your comment makes it sound like the goal of the "focused gsp breeder" is to have them be able to compete with the AA pointer. I've never understood why that is the pinnacle,,,, give me a class shooting dog any day.

Clarence,,,, how did the Az shooting dog shake out? Did Sheldon go?

cgbirddogs

Post by cgbirddogs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:06 pm

R-Heaton wrote:
BoJack wrote:Focused Shorthair breeders the same as Pointer and Setter breeders has come a Long way in the last 30 years
Interesting BoJack,,,, your comment makes it sound like the goal of the "focused gsp breeder" is to have them be able to compete with the AA pointer. I've never understood why that is the pinnacle,,,, give me a class shooting dog any day.

Clarence,,,, how did the Az shooting dog shake out? Did Sheldon go?
Bill Gibbons handled a setter to the Championship title, Sheldon handled Elite Elhew Poker to the runner-up. This was a nice sized entry for a west coast trial, I think 22 or 23 dogs were entered. The Region 12 Shooting Dog championship concluded on Monday. Jim Schulz handled the winner, and Sal (last name escapes me) handled the runner up. Both were Pointers. The surprising (and well deserved) placement went to our very own Chasin Mearn's pointer female Bella Boo! She took a second place in a very competitive derby stake. I think there were 19 entries. I road to watch her, and knew she had it going that day. I know that dog had not been in front of a horse more than 5 or 6 times before that stake, making the win all that more sweet. She laid it down! Chasing Mearns (Steve) was on the highway trying to get there, so he didn't get to handle his dog. I was on the cell giving him the blow by blow. Congrats to Chasin Mearns and Bella! (I think this post deserves its on thread...will be making one stat).

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:57 pm

R-Heaton wrote [/Interesting BoJack,,,, your comment makes it sound like the goal of the "focused gsp breeder" is to have them be able to compete with the AA pointer. I've never understood why that is the pinnacle,,,, give me a class shooting dog any day. ]
I guess it's the way you interpet my comments.I meant the focused shorthair breeders in General,not just all age breeders,which I'm sure there's some out there that is their focus.And my words "legitiment contenders" is directed to All open stakes.Do you agree or disagree that the shorthairs has come a long way in the last 30 years?(don't know how old you are,I'm 59).Back in the 70's when I got into dogs and trials(which I don't trial anymore)the Mosegaard dogs were dominate in shorthair trials and some open trials,with even some all age CHs.All the pointing breeds have come a long way and especailly the shorthairs and Red Setters.
Dog On Point!!

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:56 pm

Joe Amatulli wrote:Birddog you don't really want to go there, I'll just say that linching is not exculsive to the KKK.

I have no idea why. I dont trial, i would like to and probably will in the future. And i am in no way trying to open a can of worms. i was just wondering. SO please GSP guys dont take me the wrong way!!!!!!!!!

Mike

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:49 pm

To Late,,,,, we are already offended.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:12 pm

R-Heaton wrote:To Late,,,,, we are already offended.
Sorry

Jta

Post by Jta » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:07 am

My knowledge on trialing etc is also not that great. I read that gsp's have their own games. Is it safe to say that FDSB is to Pointer/Setter as NAVHDA is to GSP/GWP?

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:11 am

Jta wrote:My knowledge on trialing etc is also not that great. I read that gsp's have their own games. Is it safe to say that FDSB is to Pointer/Setter as NAVHDA is to GSP/GWP?
Hmmm...

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:43 am

they are dominated by pointers and salted with some setters and I would bet to say no GSPs run in them
I'm pretty sure I know a nutty shorttail guy that'll likely enter 1 or 2 of his bootlickers in a couple Nat'l Qual. trials this spring at Sunnyside. Gonna be there so "when in Rome" man - cut 'em loose! No pressure when you're expected to fail! :lol: :lol:

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:56 am

WOW toke a while to undo the rope, I sure am glad these guys didn't know how to tie a slip knot. :D :D :lol:

Jta, GSP's are also FDSB, but pointers out number GSP's 100 to 1, and it is a pertty tight group, which is okay I guess. And yes some GSP's will enter 30 min. pointer trials, I even won one myself, but good luck getting a look at, in a championship. You'll get complimented, but unless it's an off breed judge, you've wasted your time, and again that's okay I guess. That from what I understand is not true throughout the country and that's great.

Birddog no offence taken.

Doug the whole weight of the GSP world is on your back, you gotta win this one bud. 8) 8)

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Joe Amatulli wrote:Doug the whole weight of the GSP world is on your back, you gotta win this one bud
Win it,,,, heck after we get done they should rename it after him. And have a picnic with fried chicken and corn on the cob in his honor.

Razor

Post by Razor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:01 pm

A little Brittany once showed up to a three hour trial and smoked 19 pointers. I would have loved to see the run it took for the little dog to win. The trial was the 1973 International Endurance Championship. To top it off the dog was the current standing Bench Champion, I bet the pointer boys loved that fact. He was the only dog entered other than pointers.

Bill Holtan

Post by Bill Holtan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:09 pm

Razor wrote:A little Brittany once showed up to a three hour trial and smoked 19 pointers. I would have loved to see the run it took for the little dog to win. The trial was the 1973 International Endurance Championship. To top it off the dog was the current standing Bench Champion, I bet the pointer boys loved that fact. He was the only dog entered other than pointers.
That is a 90 minute stake but a great win for the Brit none the less.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Does anyone on here remember when Delmar Smith ran all age Britts in the 70"s? He had some good ones.
Dog On Point!!

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:56 pm

I have always wondered why there isn't a better representation of dogs at the nationals. Without a doubt I am a Pointer lover and am not a "big" field trialer as I have only run in small local stuff, but I have seen some really superb Brits and Shorthairs. I equate it like most would with cars, you either are a Ford or a Chevy man. It's a personal preference. I started out with Brits and had good success with them, but changed to pointers. The one thing I can never figure out is I have heard of trials where dogs have located birds, but others have won because they "ran a forward well paced race". Although I have some good friends, one who is at nationals in Ames now, I think there is more to a birddog than running big. To me it's about finding birds.
My last dog was a out of a "field trial litter" and the pup that I'm picking up Saturday is also, but they (hopefully the pup will work out) get into lots of birds.
Bottom line with me, whatever that's worth, show me a dog that finds birds, whether its a Pointer, Setter, or Shorthair, I think they are each awesome in their own way. Sorry if it sounds like I'm running for a political office.
By the way, I found this site a month ago and I think it's awesome. Lots of knowledge here.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Mr. Crappie Wrote:
Bottom line with me, whatever that's worth, show me a dog that finds birds, whether its a Pointer, Setter, or Shorthair, I think they are each awesome in their own way.
Right on,they're all Bird Dogs!
Dog On Point!!

MSC SMOKE

Post by MSC SMOKE » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:21 pm

There would have to be a couple generations pass away before a GSP would even get looked at in Grand Junction. And that's after he got qualified, which more than likely would have to come from 2 CH placements out west. It may not be right, but that's just the way it is. The old trials are steeped in tradition and that does not change easily.

Some places in south Ga it is hard to get a setter placed, much less anything else. There are judges that will give every entry an honest look, but by-in-large AA trials are a pointer's game.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:39 pm

MSC SMOKE wrote:Some places in south Ga it is hard to get a setter placed,
Yea its a wonder how some of the finest setters in the world have come from there.
MSC SMOKE wrote: which more than likely would have to come from 2 CH placements out west
There ya go Doug,,,, its all on your shoulders,,,,, why does it have to come from out west.

Diana29

Post by Diana29 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:38 am

i say Hytest SkyHawk
Web Hosting with 99.9% uptime guarantee.