running a young dog on a hard surface

Gridiron and Grouse

running a young dog on a hard surface

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:30 pm

I've read/ and heard you have to be careful letting a young dog run on a hard surface because it is tough on their rapidly growing bones? Anybody know the age where this is ok? My fiance jogs and would love to take her along with when the weather breaks. I'd also like to run her off my bike once in awhile. Thanks in advance.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: running a young dog on a hard surface

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Gets some wraps and give the joints some extra support

but generally once the growth plates have sealed it lessons the damage that hard pounding can create
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:57 pm

If the dog is being paced by a human jogging I wouldn't worry about it, thats slow stuff for a dog, exercise is good for dogs both physically and mentally
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:07 pm

About when do the growth plates seal?

I figured jogging would fine in april or may...she'll be 7 or 8 months at that time.

Thanks for the input

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:12 pm

I agree with Bobman should be no problem. I have been runnin with my pup since he has been 4 months and he loves it.

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:51 pm

Not sure when growth plates seal on a dog but in humans it is usually around 16 to 18 years old. Don't know what that equals in dog years though. Does anyone else have any ideas.

Gary