What do we need for our first hunt test?

subatomicstang

What do we need for our first hunt test?

Post by subatomicstang » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:22 am

We are going to run our 6 month old in a junior hunt this weekend. What all do we need for this? Is there a specific dress code? If someone could give me a run down of what we should wear what if any special collars leads? guns ? Whatever i need to have.
Randy B

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: What do we need for our first hunt test?

Post by snips » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:06 am

Just show up with your dog, lead (maybe a flexilead for pottying) blank pistol if you have one, if not they should have them. And have a good time. Are you going to the SC hunt test? We are going to that.
brenda

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:24 am

Its in palatka florida. So i dont need to worry about scurrying out to buy a blank pistol ?
Randy B

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:54 am

subatomicstang wrote:Its in palatka florida. So i dont need to worry about scurrying out to buy a blank pistol ?
I wouldn't either the test will have one you can use or someone will let you borrow one. I wouldn't rush out and buy one as the ones you can get a d*ck's or bass pro are not a good one. Wait until you can get a decent one that will last. There was a long post on here a couple of weeks ago and much debate about it. In the end I waited and ordered and Alfa and I can say I have 0 complaints about it and don't doubt that it will be the last one I buy as long as I don't lose it.

Other thing is a tie out if you have it or your dog will be in their dog box or kennel a good bit. There is a lot of waiting around for that 15mins they get to run in JH. I always hope there is a fenced horse pasture or something to run my pup in before my brace as she is not a happy camper if I make her quit after 15 mins she is just getting started.

Brenda we will be at the SC test this weekend. Look forward to meeting you.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:25 pm

I'd wear comfortable sneakers or hiking boots, just as long as they're comfortable to walk in . I'd also wear jeans. Otherwise, just dress comfortably for the weather conditions and you'll be fine.

Also - get there in plenty of time to meet others and introduce yourself. There will undoubtedly be plenty of people willing to lend you a blank pistol, but it's not like there will be one at the starting line just waiting for you.

I've never been to those grounds, so I don't know what the amenities are like. It might not be a bad idea to pack a cooler with drinks and bring a couple of collapsible chairs. You'll likely have plenty of sitting-around to do, so you'll want to be comfortable.

Have fun!
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:26 pm

One of the judges on Saturday was the foster mom of our adopted female. She is going to let us use her blank pistol and will also have the green and orange collars needed for running in the braces.

Im excited!!

I think I need to put in my siggy that I am "stang"s wife lol
*!~Shantel~!*

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:50 pm

LoveMyGSPs wrote:One of the judges on Saturday was the foster mom of our adopted female. She is going to let us use her blank pistol and will also have the green and orange collars needed for running in the braces.

Im excited!!

I think I need to put in my siggy that I am "stang"s wife lol
Do you mean Denise Abbey? Very nice lady and very helpful to new handlers. You're in good hands.

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Yes, Denise! She is SO wonderful and has been so helpful. She is the one who gave us 6 of her pigeons so we can start our own flock and has been helping us with our young pup by planting birds and many other various things. Shes a little GSP angel! Are you going to the test this weekend?
*!~Shantel~!*

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:12 pm

I won't be at the test this weekend, I'll be at a field trial near Brooksville. I'll be at the North Florida GSP Hunt Test at the end of the month in Masaryktown as well as the Tampa Bay Vizsla Club Hunt Test in mid-March in Clermont. If you can make it out to either of those, I'll probably see you there.

I'm not sure about the GSP premium, but the TBVC premium should be out fairly soon. Check www.tampabayvizslaclub.com periodically, it should be posted there when it becomes available.

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Ahh thanks for that link. We may try to go to the NFGSP one in Feb but that is almost 3 hrs away so we will see. I think hubby is working that weekend but we will check it out. Of course Ill post the results from this weekend and any pics/vids. 8)
*!~Shantel~!*

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Well, the TBVC test is a little closer if you can't make the NF one. I believe the Abbeys are judging as well, so there'll be a few faces you know there.

Either way, good luck this weekend!

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:04 pm

Thanks. I am getting our female the limited reg. so I can run her too. Shes approx 1.5 yr old and boy does she have a point on her. She was pointing at the killdeer and dove in the pasture today. And last night she walked by the cat bed and FROZE. We are just working on relating that cats do not = bird. lol
*!~Shantel~!*

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:02 pm

I would also bring a water bottle and carry it with you in the brace. Even though 15 min is a short time, the young pups get pretty hyper and start to do what their legs want to do (run as far out as they can) rather than listen to what you are telling them. It is nice to call them in make them hold still for a second, calm them down, get some water in them and head out again. Also, a pointer.... don't hack the dog to much. The judges will love to see a pup that gets out there and has fun!!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:38 am

LoveMyGSPs wrote:Thanks. I am getting our female the limited reg. so I can run her too. Shes approx 1.5 yr old and boy does she have a point on her. She was pointing at the killdeer and dove in the pasture today. And last night she walked by the cat bed and FROZE. We are just working on relating that cats do not = bird. lol
Shantel -

As long as she doesn't move of point when the cat leaves you should be just fine! Of course you don't want her to retrieve the cat either!!

Only teasing. :lol: :twisted: :lol:

RayG

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:46 pm

*!~Shantel~!*