NW PA

Gridiron and Grouse

NW PA

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:32 pm

I've been working pretty well with my new V, but but this spring and summer she's going to be ready for a decent amount of work. I've been looking around in my area, but haven't really found much. There is a preserve in Titusville where my parents live, and I spend most of my weekends but they don't really offer much. I was wondering if any of you are from PA, know people from PA, or even eastern ohio and have any information on.

-Places to buy birds
-Good places with birds on site
-Trainers
-Etc

Any input would be appreciated

vzkennels

Re: NW PA

Post by vzkennels » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:42 pm

For trainers there is Chris Goegan in Alliance,Ohio.He is in Georgia for winter camp & won't return untill the first of Marh after the NGSPA Nationals.If you contact him tell him Ted Meyer reccomened him.
http://www.hipointkennels.com

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Can't help you with too much as I'm on the wrong side of the state but I can tell you that If you find birds you can take them over to any Game Lands now and dog train with them, that's brand new to our state, the order was signed last week! Pheasant and Quail can be used in season and Chukars and Pigeons can be used all year (excluding october for some reason).

shets114

Post by shets114 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Where are you located in NW PA? Oakridge Pointing Dog Club has 200 acres to train on. Only cost about $35.00 to belong. We also do hunt tests and field trials. Great bunch of guys. There are also a few guys in the area that train weekly on differnet portions of ground all year round.

http://www.oakridgepointers.com/

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:33 pm

I seem to recall Diane Vater used to be from PA and may still be from there. She is well versed in the continental breeds and I have seen some nice dogs put out by her.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:52 am

who did you finally get your dog from? I remember when you where deciding, but never heard who you went with.

Brandon

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:45 pm

Homestead hunting preserve -Edinboro PA, is getting a dog training grounds license (for year round training) & you can go during preserve season on open days 814-734-4316 Dan Netzler

Just across OH line from Springboro -Steve peterson, Petersons game birds 1-440-213-0115

Muskovy run (Kinsman OH, birds and grounds) about an hour drive from Erie, has ducks also if you get into NAVHDA 1-330-876-0900

Bob Worley (Cambridge springs) birds 814-967-2877

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Zodiak

I am in Girard, not far from Edinboro at all. This is my first real bird dog so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Brandon....I got a V from the Keetons (Lindens Vizslas) out of Cardington, OH. She's 15 weeks.

Michael Jobe

Post by Michael Jobe » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:31 am

Chase's Flying Frenzy in Meadville is another option for you. For $45 a year you can hunt on his land (between September 1st and April 30th) every day except Sundays. IIRC, quail are $3.50 a bird, chukars are $6.00 a bird, hen pheasants are probably $8 and cock pheasants $9 or $9.50. You can set the birds if you like, or for $10 he'll set the birds for you. He doesn't have huge amount of land or cover but it's as close as anything to my home (Saegertown), is a reasonable price, and gives my pup a chance to work.

Homestead in Ediboro is nice, but when some friends and I went there last year it was pretty pricey (partly because we rented a dog and handler).

~Michael