Having problems getting motivated after losing a GREAT one..

Nebraska

Having problems getting motivated after losing a GREAT one..

Post by Nebraska » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:31 am

As some of you may know, in August I had to put down the best dog I think I'll ever own. I knew it was coming (she was almost 15 years old) so I picked up a puppy in March of last year so I'd have one "in the works". Well.....the good news is the puppy is fantastic and has shown a lot of promise but the bad news is I'm having a hard time getting my heart into it. I've built a pigeon coop and have done some basic training with the pup but, to be honest, I'm having a hard time getting the wind back in my training sails. My pup is almost 11 months now and heels well and comes to me well (both still on the CC) but I haven't done much bird work with her and don't want to mess it up by rushing to make up lost ground down the road.

So......I'm not looking for sympathy here - just ideas on what you guys have done to get back in the saddle after losing a GREAT one. I'm not sure what I need, maybe some kind of general training time-table to set my sights on. I realize the dog will dictate how fast I actually go but anything would help.....thanks.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Having problems getting motivated after losing a GREAT one..

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:16 am

After having loved a dog and put your life into it for 15 years, since August is not a very long time to grieve. Give yourself a break. Take as long as you need.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Fowlplay

Post by Fowlplay » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:25 am

Hang in there! I've been through this and it's rough! In 2003, I lost what I believed was my "once in a lifetime" dog. He was everything I'd hoped he'd be and at the young age of three, I lost him to a very rare form of cancer. Needless to say, I was devastated. I really didn't even want to keep the young male prospect I had at the time. I was ready to give up hunting! Fast forward to the present...I am now walking the grouse woods and the chukar hills with this male "Rusty" who I believe really is my dog of a lifetime! He is everything his "Daddy" was and at the age of seven, so much more because of his maturity.

Bottom line...don't quit! Hang in there and "the drive" will come back.

Best,

Rick

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:22 am

Come on down and we will do some training and drowned your sorrows. :lol: Sometimes training with others can really help. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Yea I am gonna have to agree with Chris AGAIN.... :lol:, 3 years ago I was in the same spot and went training with a good friend just to get around some dogs again, and thats all it took really. I wish you luck. Oh and by the way when Chris says drown your sorrows, he means it. :lol: :lol:

Chip

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks for the input guys (and gal!!). I may just have to take you up on that Chris. Are you still chasin' that "covey" of quail?? :lol:

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 pm

No I had a little problem with a coopers hawk and he dang near wiped me out. There are a few still around but they arent strong in numbers. :cry: I do have pigeons and launchers mixed with wild birds though. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:03 am

topher40 wrote:No I had a little problem with a coopers hawk and he dang near wiped me out.
Them Coopers is good eatin'...... :twisted:

Just kiddin'.....just kiddin'!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Hello, hope all are well with you. Been thru the loss of a few great dogs over the years. Some times it just takes the wind right out of the sails. Hard to get motivated but you realize you must do it for the next great one you now have. Hard to look towards the future but you will never win the race looking in the rear view mirror so to speak. Try to spend 15 min a day at least with the pup and take it slow. If you eed to spend some time with other dogs just to let yours run and be a pup call me and you can come over to let her run with my pup for awhile. Take care, hope all works out for you.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

edondero

Post by edondero » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:05 pm

I don't like going to the gym but I think of how it makes me feel afterwards and that is usually enough motivation- works short term and long term. So take your time when you need it, but on the next sunny day force yourself outside for 15 minutes and don't put any pressure on yourself or the pup, the fun will come back first and you may remember how much you enjoy the sport- with whatever dog I may be.
Good luck!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:45 am

Every dog is different, in personality, ability, desire. Eventually each one will work it's way into that special place in your heart and become it's own special place. It's tough losing the grand old campaigners, but the new ones seem to breathe a fresh breath of life into you. You'll get to remember what a puppy smells like all over again.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:14 am

Been there....still there 2- 1/2 years later. Lost our first DC and then my heart dog within 5 months of eachother...the DC was dog that I ran, and haven't been comfortable in the handler's saddle since :( Give yourself time and take it slow. Training with other people helps a LOT . Then, one day your pup will do something phenomenal and your heart will wake up again. :wink:

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:31 am

I lost 2 of those "best dogs" in 2008. Bad yr for me. If I had not had a new one in the wings I would have been lost. We will be hunting in Tx in a couple of weeks and I will have to really face my best birddog being gone. Might be a good place for the ashes, altho his first love was Sharptail.
brenda

madonna

Post by madonna » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:06 am

When my Rocky alias Astor von der Himmelsleiter died on cancer with 12 years, Donner von der Himmelsleiter was already 8 month and was a good friend with Rocky, who was the hero for Donner. When Rocky died, i could not really love Donner- it took almost three years. today i very often call him Rocky, because i confuse Rocky with Donner.
the grief that you feel now and your disability to love the pup as much as you would like is the monument of memory for your dead dog.
Greeting madonna
The woman, who plays with the pups

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:02 am

I lost Skipper about 1983 and Hannah aabout 2001, still not over either of them. But I no longer look for them in pups either. Skip was a springer, I've never owned another. Hannah was a GSP and I had four others when she died, I have none now. A bit of me dies with every dog.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!