Burrs in the furr

bobspheasant

Burrs in the furr

Post by bobspheasant » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi Folks,

I just read an article about poodles hunting upland birds. It seems they get as many looks and "Is that a hunting dog?" comments as we Airedalers do. In the article they talk about the problem they have with burrs in the dogs fur after time in the field. They said they use a "silicone" spray on their poodles to reduce burr adhesion. Has anyone tried this with their dogs with longer furr? Or, do you have another solution to the burr problem? How did it work? Thanks!

Scott
Scott

Hunting is all about the dog. When we get some birds to bring home it's just icing on the cake.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Burrs in the furr

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:44 pm

In the horse dept there is some stuff called Show sheen which is a silcone base that works and also i know some people that use pam cooking spray to help with burrs

thn there are some burrs which no matter what you do get pretty matted in the coat which in a very short time :(
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:32 pm

an area i hunt has what looks like row crops of burr bushes and they can be a pain in the butt. usually i end up pulling the furr out of the burr until they come loose, i have pulled as many as 50-60 burrs only to have them reappear the next day :lol: now that my dog has begun to grow out of the puppy stage and figure things out on her own she has learned how to pick them out herself, so now all i have to do, for most of them, is pick them out of the bottom of the kennel :lol:

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:33 am

I second what knine siad. Horse sheen is what I use and it does a good job. But they do still get the burs on them ,but I feel it makes it easier to get them out.........Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:32 am

I have a friend in LA that had two standard poodles that he duck hunted. They would pick up all kinds of stuff in their coats and the gumbo mud was a pain to get out. He started using Afro sheen on them. Thank god he has DD's now, I told him I might hunt with him some more now.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:12 pm

Know a Gordon Setter owner that also uses Pam. He said it works great.

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:10 pm

I used pam back when I had Setters and it worked well just get the regular and not the butter flavored or they will try to
lick it off.

Bowbldr

Post by Bowbldr » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:26 pm

At the last hunt test there was a guy running beautiful Red "Irish" Setters with their full "show" coat. He showed me something called "Cowboy Magic" It was a cream / lotion from a tube. Made the coat slick with a dry feel, not oily and it had a slight sheen. It worked like a charm, after a run it took less then 2 minutes and those dogs were ready for the ring. Everything combed right out, no snag or pulling.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:34 pm

I just had my first encounter with burs on Winnie the other day. You can see a few on her chest in this pic. But later on, she jumped in (you can see the terrain in the second pic), jumped out about 1.5 seconds later with about sixty burs on her. Pads of her feet, legs, ears, lips, head, chest. Everywhere but her tail. It was freezing cold and windy, but she would NOT let me bring her to shelter where I could take my time. She sat down right there and wouldn't budge until we both got all those burs out. She'd work on one while I was removing 3 or 4 others. I can see how Pam or something slick would make them a lot easier to come out, and she has some longer hair on her chest and arms that collects them very easily, so I might try that next time we're out there.

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:06 am

I use Baby Oil. Figured anything they make for babies wouldn't be poison for my pooches. Just spray a little on their ears after the hunt and on matted areas and comb em out.

Hadn't heard of the Pam idea but that sounds good as well.
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.