finally got the new pup

Gridiron and Grouse

finally got the new pup

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:28 pm

We went an picked up our first Vizsla the day before Thanksgiving. She was born Sept. 21 so she is still very much a puppy. From what I read the best thing to do is just let them be a puppy when they are young. If anyone else has any words of wisdom for a young puppy I'd love to hear it.

Pedigree
http://www.lindensvizslas.com/Zack-Peggy.html
Last edited by Gridiron and Grouse on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: finally got the new pup

Post by wems2371 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:15 pm

If I had any words of wisdom, they were lost while I was drooling over your puppy......... :roll: What a beauty. Denise

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Very cute puppy. What is it's name? Will this be a house dog. I remember when we got our Vizsla they are great dogs.

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:49 pm

We named it Croix as in St. Croix the island. It will definitely be an inside dog, which is good thing considering she shakes uncontrollably after 5 minute bathroom walks outside. I'm really excited to get her started on birds etc. however, i know that I should just being enjoying her right now and let her be a puppy.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:51 pm

Very cute pup with a nice Ped.... Just let her play and have fun for now. If you have access to birds for her to be around and chase that is always a good thing.. :D

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:04 pm

Congrats! I am pretty sure she was the one I had picked out of that entire litter - male or female.

Beautiful pup and I really like the name, too!

Rob

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Great looking pup!

Crate training is critical at this stage. The puppy should spend a lot of time in its crate and only be loose when directly supervised. When taking her from the crate, always go straight outside to potty and give praise. Every time you puut the pup in the crate, say "crate" or "kennel" (whichever word you choose) and give a tiny treat. The crate should be associated as a nice comforting place.

Take the pup out on your terms, not your pup's. (Don't reward whining).

The next week will be heck at night. Get ear plugs! And take her out at night to potty. In the crate, a big water bottle filled with hot water from the tap and wrapped in a towel can be cmforting.

Also, blockoff part of the crate if it is too big right now. You don't want the puppy peeing in one end and sleeping in the other.

Good luck and congratulations!!

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Oh my God, she is BEAUTIFUL!!! Congratulations, and start taking many many more pictures! :D :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:05 pm

Nothing better then a puppy.
Advice?
Say "come" when she's already coming towards you. She'll learn the word "come" quickly. Say it once after she learns the word and everytime she doesn't come go and get her and bring her to where you've called her from. If you're consistent with this, you won't be sorry. It will pay off big time in the field someday.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:27 am

Thanks for the kind words and advice!

Regarding the crate she's been great at night so far. Typically she cries at a little around 3 am. I wait until she stops (she only briefly stops) i get her take her out immediately....usually she goes immediately and then sleeps until the morning.

Should i be taking her outside before she starts to cry?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:34 am

I always got up with the pups every couple of hours to take them out. I'd much rather do that than them learn that they can get attention by whining.

Ear plugs, my man, ear plugs.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:39 am

Very Cute Pup.

I'm basically doing the same as you with my pup. Letting her cry a bit then taking her out when she quiets back down. Though I do wake her up to take her out a couple times in the night. But by 4:00 4:30 she is whining.

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:47 pm

More pics! :D

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:57 pm

You're just two months behind us, and I know right now it's hard to believe, but all the housebreaking problems and crying at night? The worst is OVER! So have fun, take lots of pictures and be patient. This is a happy time.

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:20 pm

Eddie-

You need to post more pics too! My wife and kids have a particular affinity for Winnie. They like your blog too. I can never get enough puppy pics.

Rob

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:26 pm

Rob wrote:Eddie-

You need to post more pics too! My wife and kids have a particular affinity for Winnie. They like your blog too. I can never get enough puppy pics.

Rob
Oh my, don't say that! I'm sure people are getting tired of Winnie's mug all over the place. But, if you insist!

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:34 pm

I like this forum for all of the knowledge and good advice. But I also like this forum because of the pictures and first hand accounts. My family happens to think Winnie is one of the most photogenic pups we have seen. My 4 and 2 1/2 year olds don't care if you believe in pinch collars, chain gangs, what kind of dog food, so on. That is the main reason I like to read the forum, but they don't even care if your dog can find birds. They LOVE the pictures and asking me "what kind of dog is that, etc, etc."

So I appreciate the diversity of the forum.

Rob

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:43 pm

Yeah I like all the pictures too. Some of the people here have amazing photos on their avatars and I wish I could click on them and enlarge them to full size.

This is my current favorite Winnie picture...

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:51 pm

I know what you're saying about the avatars - I love some of those pics and I too wish I could see them bigger. I also wish I could see some of the details on the photo settings. Maybe we need a photography sub forum :D .

I think that picture of Winnie is beautiful, but this one happens to be my current favorite:

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:15 pm

House training is going very well. We only get up once per night. SO far so good. I'll post some more pictures here soon. Winnie looks great!

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:34 pm

Great looking pup.

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:20 pm

She sure hates the snow and cold!

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Sorry. I'll resize next time.

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:32 pm

I have been looking for a vest/jacket for mine but I haven't found one that is the right size yet. I imagine they are particularly sensitive to the cold since they don't have an undercoat.

Looking great! Thanks for the update.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:35 pm

She needs a sweater! :lol: Denise

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:38 pm

My vizsla was the same way as a puppy. Now that he's old the cold don't seem to bother him as much.

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:11 pm

I'm hoping that's the case....that as she grows and matures she toughens up a little....i take her out she does her business and then BOOM it's like a track meet to the front door.....if I pick her up and carry her to the woods she'll get interested and doesn't mind staying out for a little bit...but 99 percent of the time she wants to go inside ASAP

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:22 pm

I think you'll find as she gets older that will change. New home, new things, plus being at that age where they are going through a fear period...that and temps in the teens makes a 10-12 week old pup not want to do much but sleep. Give her a couple of weeks and you'll be asking how you turn the wheels off. ;)

Nothing make me happier than a dog that knows to do its business then get back inside. Walking dogs in 10 degree weather and waiting 20 minutes for them to clean out is not fun.
Matt Rogers

Vanguard Vizslas
www.vanguardvizslas.com