Black Pointing Labs.

LEGLIFTER

Black Pointing Labs.

Post by LEGLIFTER » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:59 am

I am exploring the idea of adding a pointing lab to my family to replace the non-pointing lab we lost. I am quite familiar with labs as I have owned two and assisted many others in their training for retrieving, but never have I run across a pointing lab. So my questions are as follows:

Is the pointing lab more fiction than reality or the the other way around?

Are there any other characteristics that these dogs have that are generally unique from other retrieving labs that I should be aware of (i.e. size, personality, high strung, requires significantly more training time, etc.) I imagine they could be very inbred as they are not so common.

Is anybody familiar with a reputable breeder of pointing labs in Southern California.

I really don't want to turn this to turn into a "leglifting" contest about what breeds are better, I'd just really like to hear from anyone who has experience positive or negative with pointing labs.

Thanks so much,
Steve

h20fwlkillr

Re: Black Pointing Labs.

Post by h20fwlkillr » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:12 pm

I have worked with a few PL's and was unimpressed. The one's I worked with may or may not be the norm, but were enough to sour me on them. IMO, if God wanted labs to point, he would have given them fingers. I think that if one was mainly a waterfowler and didn't upland hunt much, they would be fine. If upland is the main goal, one would be better served by a true pointing or versatile breed.
ImageImageImageImage

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:32 pm

I think Maurice Lindley has a bunch of experience working with pointing labs. May be worth reaching out to him...

http://lindleykennel.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:38 pm

I've seen some nice ones but generally they are not as staunch of a pointer. But still nice hunting dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:06 pm

I know and hunt with a few guys who have them. The thing to keep in mind is that they are a retriever, a lab. They will never perform like a pointing breed in the uplands. If you want a retriever/flusher and primarily hunt waterfowl, fine. If you want to tackle a few miles of CRP and stubble, there are better choices.

After hunting with several of them and shooting a few birds over my dogs' points, I have yet to see one (pointing lab) point, back or honor. Kinda like taking your donkey to a horse race.

dug1976

Post by dug1976 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:41 pm

I have a pointing lab. He is very fine. Jackson will lock up on birds, As far as backing, he will just sit. I also have a very fine EP. She is very good, and better than than my lab. As far as a companion there is no better than my lab. They compliment each other. By the way; my lab is a rescue dog. I'm sure there will plenty that finds error in my judgement. But I enjoy both dogs, so that whats important to me.
IMG_4631.jpg
IMG_4632.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LEGLIFTER

Post by LEGLIFTER » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks to all respondents. I appreciate your thoughts.
dug1976 wrote: As far as a companion there is no better than my lab.
That's the way I feel about my labs and for me and my wife its companionship first. Thats why I'm considering a pointing lab rather than a GWP which arguably I would have better luck with as a pointer.

Thanks again,
Leglifter

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:31 pm

There are a few great kennels out there that have really focused on the upland ability in the lab. When I breed labs I focus strongly on upland ability. There are great upland pointing labs out there that should suit what you are looking for

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:22 pm

last year I had the unfortinate season of being without a dog, due to my GSP passing away ..but a guy who normally hunted down the field a bit from me had a pointing lab and knew I had lost my dog so he was kind enough to ask me to join him on a hunt. The pointing lab looked just like any other lab to me.. and it did have a great search pattern of the field. but I never did see a good point with it as we found no birds that day.. But the guy swore it did point.and I knew from seeing the guy many times before in the hunting area he got more than a few pheasants under that dog. I had never heard of a pointing lab before so I asked a few questions he said their just like regular labs except a little smaller and they point.. and he used his for upland birds and ducks.. and he had went to a game preserve that used them for guided hunts thats what made him want one..from what I seen that day I think that dog would definately hunt well but I couldn't really say if the pointing part was true or not due to a lack of birds that day..