brittany or english setter

shepherdtrav

brittany or english setter

Post by shepherdtrav » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:44 am

i am a 21 year old college student from kentucky who first wants a good companion and buddy and then a good bird dog i will be training the puppy wiht the help of a man who has been training for years but he really like the setters but i have heard really good things about brittanys being easy to train and good pets.. i was just wondering what some of you all thouhgt ..thanks for your help

gar-dog

Re: brittany or english setter

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:55 am

Both are great breeds and would make great companions. The Brittany will be smaller if that is important to you. In my research I think I was ultimatley down to these same two choices, and went with the Brittany. There seemed to be more breeders in my area of them and we liked the smaller size. Wife liked the cute factor. Have you spent any time with both breeds? What type of hunting will you do?

Flush

Post by Flush » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:01 am

They are both good breeds, with lots of good breeders and lines in each breed. The also both make great pets/companions as well as good hunters. There is lots of variation in every breed in terms of personality and hunting ability so picking the actual breeding in many ways is more important than the breed.

Personally I prefer setters due to the manner in which they hunt (generally speaking) as well as the style they have on point. Plenty of Britts are also stylish, but to my eyes it's extremely difficult for a short-tailed dog of any breed to match the style of a long-tail all other things being equal. Thats just my personal taste though.

Since you have an experienced friend, why not ask him why he prefers setters?

In a general sense you can't go wrong with either breed, but again focus on the particular breeding to ensure you get the best possible dog for what you want. The absolute best thing to do is seek out other hunters or hunt test/trials and see mulitple examples of each breed hunt. Even as a setter guy, I would rather have a good Britt than a poor Setter, but since I get to do the picking, I seek out well bred setters. Plenty of others do the opposite.

In terms of stereotypes I think you will hear Britts tend to be closer working and better natural retrievers, while Setters tend to be faster/bigger running with more natural point. While I have seen plenty of exceptions, on the overall average I think I agree.

-Flush

P.S. Even size can't be taken for granted. While on average most Britts are smaller than setters, I have a 35lb female setter and there are plenty of britts running around bigger than her.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 am

The differences you are talking about are related to the standard for each breed. But many breeders today do not even follow the standards so you can find most anything and the papers will tell you which breed it is.

Both breeds are nice dogs and you should go check them out and pick the one you like. As a breed the Brits were a little smaller, little less coat, little closer working, and possibly a little more biddable. But like I say you can find anything you like with in each breed anymore.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

hosejockey2935

Post by hosejockey2935 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:09 pm

I am partial to the Brits as well. In general, they seem to handle very nicely, they do work close, and they are great in the house. Having said that, I haven't owed a setter or had one in the house.

As everybody else has said, find out what you really want, then choose the breed that suits your needs. I am confident that you will make a great choice. You can't go wrong with either :)
~tom
Sir Ta' Mater of Chaos - Mater

Firebrand's Smoke & Mirrors - Kenzie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3358

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:58 pm

I've had both, and both are great dogs, but on the whole, I prefer the setter. They have a certain elegance that the brittney lacks. My setters were also calmer and quieter in the house. The brittneys, on the otherhand, can be quite comical and cute.

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:22 pm

Shame most of the trials are done for the season. Not only would going to events under any venue get you exposure to different dogs, you would have access to folks with pups or dogs looking for homes. Every year, lots of decent hunting dogs find free homes through someone at an event with a dog just not hot enough for the format but fine for the weekend hunter. You could still check out local preserves or gun dog clubs and volunteer to help out in exchange for the exposure, or wait till teh Sept trial season starts.

I have had both a britt and setters. Both eat shoes when bored, dig in the trash if allowed, shed, etc. I was fortunate enough to have strong natural retrieve in my Britt first and looked specifically for that in the breeding for the ES. I know a guy with a Llewellin setter at age 4 that weighs 20 lbs and my 45 lb ES curls up small but is definitely longer than the average Britt.
Colin

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:46 pm

zzweims wrote:The brittneys, on the otherhand, can be quite comical and cute.

Aline
Comical and cute goes for any breed! :D I know our Llewellins have an uncanny ability to make my family laugh.
ckfowler wrote: I know a guy with a Llewellin setter at age 4 that weighs 20 lbs....
And I thought the 35 pounder that was thrown in one of our litters was little! I'm trying to picture in my mind what our smallest setter would be like at 20 lbs... havin' a little trouble :wink:

I haven't hunted over a Brittany, but one of our family friends loves them- I think they have four and then a Boykin. Personally, I love my setters- in the field and home, but there are plenty of nice dogs from either breed. (Just look at some the the Britt pics from the forum!) Like others have said, it's really important to find the right breeder, one that is producing what you desire in a gundog, since there is so much variance within any breed/lines. I know that doesn't really help with your decision... but like another said, trials are a good venue. You could also check out local hunt clubs and get a little experience with both of the breeds.

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:18 pm

rockllews wrote:

Aline
Comical and cute goes for any breed! :D I know our Llewellins have an uncanny ability to make my family laugh.
ckfowler wrote: I know a guy with a Llewellin setter at age 4 that weighs 20 lbs....
And I thought the 35 pounder that was thrown in one of our litters was little! I'm trying to picture in my mind what our smallest setter would be like at 20 lbs... havin' a little trouble :wink:

I haven't hunted over a Brittany, but one of our family friends loves them- I think they have four and then a Boykin. Personally, I love my setters- in the field and home, but there are plenty of nice dogs from either breed. (Just look at some the the Britt pics from the forum!) Like others have said, it's really important to find the right breeder, one that is producing what you desire in a gundog, since there is so much variance within any breed/lines. I know that doesn't really help with your decision... but like another said, trials are a good venue. You could also check out local hunt clubs and get a little experience with both of the breeds.

Here is my new pup, White River's Rambling Rebel Girl. She is a true joy to have even though she is even a little stinker.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:15 pm

SDBound- That's one cute pup! She does have that mischievous look, doesn't she? :wink:

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:39 am

if you look into the right line of setters they can be comperable in size to an average brittany. i find e setters to have a more favorable jekyll/hyde than britts. most britts seem to carry the energy in the house where most setters i have seen do not, this probably differs with lines though. britts seem to have more personality and provide entertainment where setters are happy just laying down beside you and watching the tube. most of this is purely opinion based on limited experiences with both breeds, just thought i would give my two cents. as far as hunting, they both offer good qualities most of which are the same. let the breeder know that you want a foot hunting dog, especially when inquiring about setters, or you may get a dog that will leave you in the dust.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:01 am

Had setters as a kid, hunted over a lot of britts (and everything else). My opinion is that a good dog is where you find it. Things like the breeder, availability, etc. weigh more than breed with me.

Greg J.

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:03 am

I read the post that said "in general" brits hunt closer. Absolutely not true. There are big running brits and close working setters and vice versa. Decide first which breed you like!! Then, truly decide if you will really hunt the dog, when you will graduate, where you will most likely live, what you really want and need in a dog, THEN go find a breeder that fits that bill. If you will stay back east, don't buy a brit from an AA brit breeding from Texas. If you will move to the west coast and hunt desert quail, don't buy a setter from cover stock. If you really want more of a pet and won't hunt much, then think about getting a pointing dog in general. YOU have to make the decision, not the trainer. Further, some "trainers" don't know much more than you do starting out. Who is the trainer? How many dogs has he trained? Trained for what? Does he hunt wild birds or preserves? Does he train dogs to steady to wing and shot or barely holding point until you're in front of them?

Lots to consider IMHO before deciding on anything.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:17 am

rockllews wrote:

Aline

I'm guessing Buddy is the dog Colin mentioned in his post. He's the dog in the center in this picture. As you can see all three of these Llewellins wil go under 30 lbs.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks Charles for the pics of the 'little llews'. Nice looking dogs.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:37 am

English setters and Brittanys are the only pointing dogs I've owned since I had a half-share in a GSP as a teen in the '60s. Love 'em both, and suggest you pay no heed to breed generalities, as the differences within each breed are far greater than the differences between them.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:33 pm

rockllews wrote:SDBound- That's one cute pup! She does have that mischievous look, doesn't she? :wink:

You have no idea.

shepherdtrav

Post by shepherdtrav » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:12 pm

thank you all for the replys im going to look at some setter tomorrow so well just have to wait and see, the guy said they were out of a bloodline that had havelock powerball in it anyone know anything about that

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:51 am

A lot of good thoughts on these posts....I'm partial to Brittanys (have two 9 and 2). Do love the style of the Setters.

Both offer a lot of dog/owner bonding (picking out burrs). :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:08 pm

I kept the runt of the litter.

26 pounds at 2 years and a firecracker in the field.

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Sharon, I love that picture... :)

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:49 pm

I'm a shorthair guy. That being said, I inherited half ownership in one of the finest britt's I've ever seen in the field and he's a really wonderful pet too. I've also worked with and hunted behind some of the finest setter's in the country including one that qualified for Ames TWICE!

If size matters there are a LOT of setters that are small, spindly, lapdogs that are rockets in the field. There are also quite a few britt's that are over standard.

One knock on the britt's in my book is that their breed standard is such that if breeders stick to it, they produce mostly dogs that you can't see knee high grass. That matters quite a bit to some folks that hunt in taller cover alot.

In general Britt's are going to tolerate cold and wet conditions better than setters, but setters in general are going to tolerate warm weather hunting better.

Most britts I see at trials don't retrieve, but most I see hunting do. Most of the setters I've been around were at least passible retrievers for the average guy.

I tend to lean towards the taller, longer lankier built dogs like my avatar picture. Therefore in general I'd have more of a leaning towards setters as a breed.

It'll really come down to picking an individual more than a breed. Talk to some breeders find out what they have coming up. Most importantly go to a breeder known to produce exactly what you are looking for in a dog, don't start out with a pup that failed as a trial dog, or didn't have what it takes. Don't start out with a dog that's coming from someone that breeds primarily just for show or pets either. Whatever you do don't just pick one out of an add in the paper blindly who's just trying to get rid of pups they couldn't sell to anyone else unless that person has lines you have researched and good references.

Find someone in the middle that has a good reputation for consistently producing nice family gun dogs of either breed, then trust them to help guide you to the right litter, and the right pup or even started dog. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

upland-o

Post by upland-o » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:48 am

I have to admit that I have never owned a setter, but being a fishing and hunting guide I have spent a ton of time at preserves and hunt clubs and met many fine setters. With that being said I am a Brittany man, the french brittany to be exact. I have owned the american Britt and I dont find anything wrong with them compared to the french dog. As far as a Setter or a Britt I think there are vast differences. If it makes sense to you I find the setter to be a harder running dog, that does not mean that they cover more ground, it just means they run hard and I just dont see them as methodical in their hunting and quartering as a good britt. I also dont like a dog with a long coat because of the maintanence to both the dog and my home so a setter does not fit the bill. I have also heard to some setter owners that the setters have a harder time transitioning from field to home where as I have never owned a french britt that wasnt a hellion in the field and a sweet and lovable couch potato at home. As a college student I imagine you have some space constraints, if this is true I would recommend you look more into the britts as they wouldnt be so cooped up like a setter would and you dont want to do that to a dog. If not, a setter might fit, there is no doubt they are extremely stylish on point. To me it would seem more a matter of space with you, most college students I know dont have a lot of room to work with but even if you do get a britt because of this make sure you choose the puppy wisely, some britts can be a bit wirey. PM me if you want to, I can recommend some excellent breeders for both dogs

shepherdtrav

Post by shepherdtrav » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:08 pm

anyone know of a breeder of the more small and compact setter like the ones mentioned earlier weighing 20-30 lbs

Mav&Lizzy

Post by Mav&Lizzy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:15 pm

shepherdtrav wrote:anyone know of a breeder of the more small and compact setter like the ones mentioned earlier weighing 20-30 lbs
Not sure where you are located but this guy in Kansas tends to breed for the small ES.

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders- ... ining.html

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:27 pm

I know there are smaller setters but I don't think less than 35 pounds is very realistic. I may be wrong but I just don't want you terribly disappointed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.