Flooding in Indiana

Hotpepper

Flooding in Indiana

Post by Hotpepper » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:42 pm

The southern half of the State of Indiana is underwater. 10 inches of rain fell last night and I-70 is closed and underwater, the highway to Indianapolis. Record levels for crest on rivers is projected and many towns and cities are underwater. They have call for any volunteer firemen who can come and bring boats to come to Terre Haute today.

It all has to exit just west of us here at Evansville along the Wabash River. There will be few if any crops in the southern half of Indiana. All standing wheat has been wasted, 2 weeks from harvest, corn and beans are also not possible now. It is terrible. The fuel and seed and fertilizer cast are spent. Going downriver.

We here in Evansville are not affected at this point, the Ohio River here at Evansville is near flood also but all of my friend farmers where I work and run my dogs are not yet out of business.

Say a prayer for all the folks in wet houses tonight.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

RoundRiver Setters

Re: Flooding in Indiana

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:44 pm

We will keep all you guys in our thoughts and prayers..................Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:49 pm

I know what you mean, over here in Iowa too. SW Iowa got hit hard a day or two ago.............and we keep getting hit every day............with next week looking like more of the same. A lot of the fields around me are still unplanted and there hasn't been 3 dry days in a row to cut, rake, and bale the 1st cutting hay--even though it's ready now. My mom lives along a river about 10 miles from me, and she's had to move her horses on 3 different times in the last 8 weeks. Fortunately her home stays dry, but most of the other 33 acres go under to some degree. Someone told me earlier this year that the Farmer's Almanac said it was going to be a drought year. Well I'm welcoming a drought now, I think we'd still have enough moisture to get us through:) Denise

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:24 pm

Wow, that sounds terrible. My wife's grandmother passed away last year, and only a couple of years before had to be evacuated by helicopter from her "shack" on the Flat Rock River after it flooded (and she was about 90 at the time). Prayers for all the folks there.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:39 am

We will be keeping you all in our thought's and prayer's

gunner

Post by gunner » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:24 am

Worst flooding here since 1913.
Last year at this time we were in a drougth.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:52 am

Prayers are with everyone

Sure has been some strange weather many have been experiencing this year
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:50 am

prayers are with you. just as you have to much rain, we have not. i'm in north ga, lake is down 17 ft andwe have not had rain in 2 months althought it has rained all around us.mandatory cut backs on all watering makes it hard since i'm in the landscape business.looks like a total band will start july 1.got first cut of hay but will likely not get another.hay is 10 to 12 bucks and with 4 horses it makes it tuff.

gunner

Post by gunner » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:09 am

Pictures from this morning's Indianapolis Star...

gunner

Post by gunner » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:45 am

Last Friday's tornado touched down about two miles from where I used to live. Can't tell you how many times I crossed this lovely old covered bridge now completely gone.

The Amish farmers had allowed me to train and hunt many of their farms nearby.

Those folks and previous neighbors are in my thoughts daily.

Better days.

Tornado aftermath photos from the Indianapolis Star...

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:59 am

We will all be saying some prayers for you all in Indiana today. Seems to been a crazy year all over! In Kansas we had ice storms this winter and it has taken forever to start warming up. Guys are still planting beans around here because the rain and cool weather has really been a speedbump this year. Just in May we had over 160 confirmed tornadoes in Kansas, next closest was Arkansas with 45. Thank God we didnt have much damage, but after Greensburg you couldnt get much worse. Good luck and try to stay dry! :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:12 am

Howie, if the water gets too deep, I can take Blitz off your hands. :lol:

Gunner
, my thoughts are with you all in IN. It's sad to lose a piece of history like that and a total tragedy to loose homes. I know personally what it's like to watch the water coming up around your familys home and not know when it's going to stop.

The river that flows near my parents home received 8-10" during the tornado episode a couple weeks ago, and has since gotten 2-4" every couple days since then a couple hours north of them--with 4" again just this morning. Calling for heavy rains again on Monday. I will be taking in one of their mares this afternoon and probably some pets and household stuff in the future...........if it gets to that point.

We need an anti-raindance. :roll: Denise

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:14 am

I know pictures only give a veiw but can't even come close to the full impact of the devastation that has happened and is going on

but those pics are still reality checks :cry:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 pm

I live right by the river. So all the rain that Indianapolis and the northern Indiana has gotten will come down my way. It has already made some small towns from me evac out of their homes. Two levies had broken already. Hopefully we don't have to move out.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Several subdivisions in Terre Haute are, as stated, under water. Luckily my parents' house is not one of them. They had water in their crawl space and the sump pump is still working to get it out, but nothing lost there.

Some friends of mine just signed a purchase agreement to buy a house in Terre Haute, though. I don't know if their proposed home is underwater or not. My brother-in-law is a police officer there. Lots of roads were shut down but a lot are back open now. There's plenty of wash-out to clear up still, though.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux